Cleaning Grease Stains on Carpet

Category Carpet
Grease stains can be quite stubborn when you are trying to remove them from your carpet. This is a guide about cleaning grease stains on carpet.

Hands covered in auto grease.

This is a guide about cleaning auto grease stains on carpet. Automotive grease can get on the bottom of your shoes in various ways. Once there it is easily tracked inside and left on the carpet.

I had a roast on the floorboard and the grease/drippings splashed out of the pan onto my carpet. I have tried foam carpet cleaner and Arm & Hammer powder carpet cleaner, but it still stinks to high heaven. I have even tried Dawn dishsoap and water. No luck. Any suggestions?

By Randy S.

Best Answer

The grease probably went through the carpet and onto the floorboard. You will probably need a big bucket of hot, soapy water and a wet/dry vac. Take a cup and pour the hot soapy water on the area and suck it up. Repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, and again until you are sick of doing that. If that doesn't work, you might also dry professional degreaser (like from Sam's club or auto store), they smell bad too, so that wouldnt' be my first choice method.

I picked up some graphite type grease on my shoe and tracked it through three rooms before I saw it. I don't want to start cleaning with the wrong solution and smearing it. Does someone have a solution? It is on green and also white carpet.

By Joseph from Sebring, FL

Answers:

Grease Stains on Carpet

Rub baby powder or any talcum powder on it and brush in well. Leave it set a few hours, vac and repeat! I took tar off my new carpet with this. (02/04/2011)

By lavonneann

Grease Stains on Carpet

Call any janitorial supply store in your area and ask them for a heavy duty degreaser. Mix according to the instructions and spray on grease area. Blot out with a wet towel and repeat until its gone.

JB
(02/23/2011)

By nolacarp

Grease Stains on Carpet

You may want to watch this video that takes grease out of silk or other fabrics, it would work for carpet grease stains.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkL4CFciS34 (04/05/2011)

By easy99

How can I remove grill grease from new carpet?

By Christine from Dubuque, IA

Answers:

Grease Stains on Carpet

Try some Dawn dish soap. I had some black Halloween make-up on my carpet and just rubbed a little dish soap in it then blotted it up with a damp rag. It worked for me. Good luck. Test spot an area first though. (04/15/2010)

By DebbieJean

Grease Stains on Carpet

Simple Green would be my suggestion. It is an oil base cleaner and will dissolve your grease. Then clean it all up with the Dawn or other carpet cleaner. I swear by Stanley Steamer cleaner. My SIL uses club soda. (04/16/2010)

By latrtatr

How do I get grease out of carpet?

By Linda Sue from Hollister, CA

Answers:

Grease Stains on Carpet

I'm not sure if this will work for grease but it might. I had a stain in my carpet and wanted to get it out, so I searched the web and a few places said baking soda.

Just take some baking soda, mix it with vinegar to make a paste, and then put it on the carpet with an old toothbrush. Allow it to dry, then vacuum. If the stain is somewhat removed or lightened up, repeat again. (10/13/2009)

By noodles8821

Grease Stains on Carpet

I don't know if this would work, but I've used it for brown eye pencil on white carpet with great success. The product is called Incredible and I buy it at my local grocery store, Kroger, in Houston, TX. But you could google it and I'll bet you'll find it. If you live where you can buy a product called Lestoil I bet you'd have good luck with it too. I used to live in NY and you could buy it anywhere and we used it on everything, not just grease stains. You could google it too. Good luck! (10/13/2009)

By metroplex

Grease Stains on Carpet

I recently tried a carpet stain remover called Winning Colours. It has worked on some of the toughest stains that no other cleaners have worked on. Here is a link to a store locator on their website:
http://www.winningbrandscorporation.com/store_locator.htm (10/14/2009)

By Hawker19