Inexpensive Dog Coat

My elderly dog was getting cold and shivery on her daily walk-abouts in the back yard. I looked at dog sweaters, but she's a good-sized dog and they were $30! I went to the Salvation Army store, picked up a kid's sized fleece zip-up vest. I put her front legs through the arm holes and zip it up over her back. She stays cozy and best of all, it cost me $1.25!

By Marna from Hartford, CT

What a good idea. I'll have to check out our thrift shops. Thanks for posting the idea.

Marna!

What a great idea! I was thinking $35-40 was too pricey

for a dog coat. What a great alternative! Thanks for the great idea!

Jennifer CA

Good for you..Old dogs and young ones feet get cold too. Wrap them up when you get back from a walk with warmed in the dryer old towels.Here is Buddy after a rare rain shower. GG Vi

Yes, that's a wonderful idea!

Yes, that's a wonderful idea!

This works for small dogs too. My 8 pound toy poodle wore preeemie/newborn tops as sweaters. At thrift shop prices, he had quite a wardrobe. He passed away in November at 17.5 years of age. I took his things to the SPCA to use for other dogs.

I think it's a great idea, but don't the zippered

ones come with hoods? What do you do with

that part?

I love this idea! :-)

I definitely voted for this idea, one of those no-brainer things we wonder why we never thought of! Great idea! Now I wish I could get my cat to wear one, he's 15 1/2 & having a hard time with the cold. Thanks!

Wow! Great idea. Thank you for sharing this tip.

Be very careful when buying childrens coats for your dog. Childrens arms go out to the side as dogs legs go down in front. This can be ver uncomfortable for the dog as the sleeves can pull their legs out to the side and the sleeve seams can rub them raw.

Walmart carries sweater and such for dogs at a low cost of 5 dollars and up. Way cheaper than petco or any other store like that.

Yorkiepoo, just wanted to let you know that Marna purchased a vest, not a coat, so it's not possible for there to be a rubbing problem because the upper arm holes of a human vest are large enough as to not be restrictive. Please don't worry. :-)

Carnation037, not all vests come with hoods and many that do come with hoods can be zippered on and off.

Make dog clothes out of large (depending on the size of the dog) sweater sleeves or sweatshirt sleeves. Stitch or border around the parts that's cut to prevent unraveling. For a very large dog, cut the sleeves out and use the sweatshirt body. You will have to cut around the legs holes more to fit the dog comfortably. Sew elastic at the bottom of the shirt loosely to fit around body.

Also, Big Lots has dog sweaters fairly cheap.

Great idea. Now take the money you saved and buy her winter boots too!

Dogs get frost bitten feet easily and you know she will appreciate it.

Want to save money on dog beds? Tired of trying to clean a bed soaked with urine? Buy a baby crib mattress for your large dog and then get a plastic mattress cover with a zipper. You'll save a lot of $.

I had Greyhounds and live in the Midwest which can be brutal in Winter. My dogs had no fur or fat to keep them warm, once I bought a winter coat ($120) but it seemed to thin. Because I couldn't afford $240 for two coats I went to the fabric store & bought polar fleece. I then found a pattern for Greyhounds on the web. I made the coats for about $100.

A homemade dog coat.
Making a Dog Coat
Pets AdviceDecember 12, 2007
A stack of Mexican blankets.
Making a Coat Out of a Blanket
Fur Coat
Repairing Fur Coats
Finished racks mounted on the wall.
Making a Fish Coat Rack
dog with shiny coat
Keeping Your Dog's Coat Shiny
🎄