WindowsCleaning

Mineral Spots on Windows

I have lime and calcium buildup on glass windows. I have tried CLR and all types of cleaners. They help a little bit, but it does not take it completely off. Is there anything else I can use? Please help. Thank you.

By John from Niagara, NY

Try vinegar! I had calcium building up on my car windows because of a nearby sprinkler and tried a few remedies, but my "nothing left to lose" attitude sent me into my pantry for vinegar and it worked! I now use it to take pesky spots off of wine glasses and vases. Hope this helps!

I have been very pleased using the magic eraser sponges. It takes less elbow grease than you'd think! I use it dry; be careful if the frames are painted metal--you don't want to "dull" it. But on the glass, have at it!

February 24, 2010 Flag

The sprinklers have deposited minerals on the window which CLR will not remove; what shall I use?

Elizabeth from MT

Answers:

Mineral Spots on Windows

I would first try a Magic Eraser. If that doesn't work I would then try Brillo. I had gotten some really tough spots off my tub faucets using some Soft Scrub with bleach and a green scouring pad. (06/21/2007)

By kimmcg

Mineral Spots on Windows

Try distilled vinegar dampened paper towels, lay them flat on the glass add more vinegar this way the vinegar can dissolve the build up, if the vinegar doesn't work try use Limeaway like the vinegar. This works on shower doors, also CLR does not work for me. Are you sure it's a chemical build up and that it hasn't actually etched the glass? (06/22/2007)

By BABBIE

Mineral Spots on Windows

I was in the same situation with my shower doors until I found this product at a home show Bring It On Cleaner, and let me tell you my shower doors and tile look like new.
Thanks for a great product. (09/16/2008)

By Jan

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes