Angel Food Cake Mix Baked Up Rubbery on Bottom

I just baked an angel food cake from a box and it got rubbery on the bottom. I have never had that happen before. What did I do wrong? Thanks.

By Martha from MO

Best Answer

I would say you must have used a mixing bowl that still had some grease on it. If you have used plastic, that might be the problem. I speak from experience! Made an angel food cake, mixed it in a "clean" plastic bowl and it came out so flat and terrible that even our dog wasn't interested. Even when washed thoroughly, grease will still be on the plastic bowl.

Best Answer

Use stainless steel or a glass bowl for somethings and this is one of those. Also, make sure you spatula it during the mixing, turn off mixer, and swoop it a couple times. Sometimes the cake mix just needs about 30 secs more of beating too. Pour quickly into pan and don't let sit, pop into preheated oven. When done, make sure you flip the cake pan over, if it sits and is warm, it can compress the airy cake to nothing and land at the bottom of the pan. Suspending it on clothes pins was and will be the all time favorite unless you got the old fashioned 7 up bottle like great grammas had!