Making Angel Food Cake

Category Cakes
This delicious airy white cake is generally easy to make and will be a favorite with the family. This is a guide about making angel food cake.

To make the highest angel food cake ever, just use your favorite store bought angel food cake mix as usual except add 2 fresh egg whites. I use the Shop N Save brand and I add the 2 egg whites in with the water at the beginning. Then follow the directions as usual. I have always had a very tall angel food cake and moist texture.

By blondie from Michael, IL

Today I tried to make five flavor cake in an angel food pan and it stuck. The recipe did not call for the pan to be treated. Last summer I made a Jewish apple cake and that also stuck in the pan. Both these recipes called for this type pan - but they both stuck - any ideas why?

Thanks!
By Beth from NJ

Answers

Best Answer

I've only made an Angel Food cake in the angel food cake pan. It does stick, having to be cut off the pan after cooling upside down, thus the reason for the two piece pan design. From as much as I recall, the pan is not sprayed or greased or floured. So this may be the way you are to remove the cakes you've been making in your pan.

Best Answer

Spray it with Bakers Joy, or any spray that has flour in. Think PAM has a new one. Bakers Joy is what I spray a bunt cake pan with, so would try it with your recipe.
I'll have to look up Five Flavor cake, never heard of it.

Best Answer

I looked this recipe up because it sounded interesting. Looks like it was originally a Watkins recipe and they gave no pan instructions. But, on Cooks.com the instructions said to pour into "well-greased and floured tube pan". Also to let cool 10 to 15 mins. before inverting onto plate. The recipe sounds yummy.

Best Answer

All the recipes I found for your cake stated to use a greased/floured BUNDT or tube pan...different from an angel food cake pan...at least thats how I understand it. Bundt and tube pans are sometimes non-stick coated and still have to be sprayed and/or floured. I've not seen an angelfood cake pan that way...only untreated aluminum.

I just baked an angel food cake from a box and it got rubbery on the bottom. I have never had that happen before. What did I do wrong? Thanks.

By Martha from MO

Answers

Best Answer

I would say you must have used a mixing bowl that still had some grease on it. If you have used plastic, that might be the problem. I speak from experience! Made an angel food cake, mixed it in a "clean" plastic bowl and it came out so flat and terrible that even our dog wasn't interested. Even when washed thoroughly, grease will still be on the plastic bowl.

Best Answer

Use stainless steel or a glass bowl for somethings and this is one of those. Also, make sure you spatula it during the mixing, turn off mixer, and swoop it a couple times. Sometimes the cake mix just needs about 30 secs more of beating too. Pour quickly into pan and don't let sit, pop into preheated oven. When done, make sure you flip the cake pan over, if it sits and is warm, it can compress the airy cake to nothing and land at the bottom of the pan. Suspending it on clothes pins was and will be the all time favorite unless you got the old fashioned 7 up bottle like great grammas had!

I made an angel food cake using 12 egg whites from a carton of eggs, whose sell by date may have passed or was almost ready to pass. The eggs had set outside the fridge for about 24 hours so they were definitely room temperature.

I followed the instructions very carefully. I separated each egg in an empty cup to make sure not a speck of yolk got into the mixture. I whipped them with an electric hand mixer, but they never reached the stiff peaks I was expecting. They did sort of formed peaks but they were more like soft peaks. Finally I finished up the recipe exactly as written. I very carefully folded in the flour (which I had sifted with the sugar 5 times) by 1/4ths; making sure I didn't stir or break down the batter.

I baked it as directed and let it completely cool overnight. It tasted wonderful - no comparison to a boxed angel food cake which is all I had ever had prior to making this one. The thing that bothers me is it just didn't get really tall like the pictures. Now it wasn't flat like a cake or soufflé that just goes kaput. It just wouldn't make those stiff peaks!

What did I do wrong? Was it the eggs? Were they too old? I'm planning to make this angel food cake tomorrow. It is October 29 and the carton of eggs have a sell by date of Nov 8th.

By feekie from Tulsa, OK

Answers

I have made a lot of Angel Food Cakes and have never had this problem.

When I'm planning to make this cake, I buy an extra dozen large eggs therefore, they are always fairly fresh. I break the eggs and separate the yolks from the whites while they are still cold. Just to make sure I don't get any yolk in the bowl of whites, I break each egg using a separate bowl. Just a little yolk in the egg whites will mess up the whole batch. I let the bowl of egg whites sit out until about room temperature but have also beaten them cold. The cake rises above the top of the cake pan.

I would certainly try it again. You can't beat made from scratch Angel Food Cake.

Also, when you take the Angel Food Cake out of the oven, turn it upside down to cool. To hold it up, I rest the edge of the pan on 3 coffee cups. As soon as it cools, it's ready to take out of the pan. Go around the edge of the cake with a long knife to loosen it from the pan. Then dump it on your cake plate.

I've experienced this when using a hand mixer. I'm wondering if maybe the hand mixer just doesn't have the power needed to whip up stiff peaks.