Angel Food Cake Recipes

Category Cakes
Light airy angel food cake is delicious alone or enhanced with fruit and other ingredients. This page contains angel food cake recipes.

This was my first go at making a proper angel food cake and I was super pleased with the perfect fluff and texture. It was so smooth and had such a fantastic flavour. I usually opt for the simple pre-made ones at the grocery store baking shops... nevermore! If I can do this, anyone can do this! Do give this treat a try.

Prep Time: 30 minutes

Cook Time: 40 minutes

Total Time: 70 minutes plus cooling time

Yield: 12 servings

• 12 egg whites, room temperature
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
  • 1 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
  • 1 1/2 cup cake flour
  • 1 1/2 cup caster sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 cups strawberries, hulled and quartered

1. Preheat oven to 350 F. In a large bowl, beat together egg whites, vanilla, lemon juice and cream of tartar with a mixer at medium-high speed.
  2. Advertisement

3. Keep beating until you get medium-stiff peaks.
  4. In a bowl, sift together flour, caster sugar, and salt.
  5. Now sift this mixture into the egg whites, folding it all in very gently with a rubber spatula.
  6. Now pour your batter evenly into an ungreased tube pan.
  7. Place in oven and bake 30 to 40 minutes, until toothpick test comes out clean. Place the pan upside down on a wire rack to cool for 90 minutes.
  8. Advertisement

9. Combine heavy cream and 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar in a bowl and beat at medium speed until soft peaks form. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
  10. In a bowl, mix together strawberries and remaining 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar. Allow to sit for at least 10 minutes.
  11. When the cake has cooled, run a long knife around the edges of the pan to loosen the cake. Place cake on serving platter. Slice and top with fresh cream and berries.
  12. Advertisement

Different twist on angel food cake.

What a great holiday cake and so easy. A comfort food with a hot cup of coffee or tea. This also makes a great gift.

Sift flour with 1/2 cup of the sugar and sift together 4 times. Beat egg whites until foamy.

This easy recipe combines a cake mix and a can of pie filling to make a very easy and low fat dessert.

Two recipes for Chocolate Angel Food Cake

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In medium bowl, with fork, mix flour, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, confectioner's sugar, and 1/4 tsp. salt; set aside.

In large bowl, with mixer on high speed, beat egg whites, cream of tartar, and 1/2 tsp. salt until soft peaks form; beat in vanilla extract.

I need a diabetic Angel food cake recipe. Can anyone help me?

Jay from Laurel, Delaware

Answers

Best Answer

I just bought a box of Splenda to use in baking for diabetics. It says you can substitute 1part Splenda for 1 part sugar. I don't see why you can't use it instead of sugar for your regular Angle Food cake recipe..

I also noticed at another grocery store a "sugar substitute for baking" product but I can't remember what it's called.
Angel Food Cake sounds good, I think I'll make one for my Seniors I work with at a nursing home.

Best Answer

You won't find a recipe for "diabetic" Angel Food Cake - it is made with highly processed white flour which is very high G.I. Diabetics need to eat complex carbohydrates such as wholemeal flour with added whole grains (such as multi-grain bread). This would be far too heavy for an Angel Food Cake. Just eliminating the sugar content is not enough.

By Kumama (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Although angel food cake is a high glycemic food, it is the least problematic of the cakes. It is usually served without frosting and has absloutely no fat. Portion control is the way to go . Ask your nutritionist or diabetic educator how to work it into your eating plan for special occasions.

By grandma J (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Sorry, you are not going to find a substitute for this. Make the Betty Crocker one and eat what would be measured for the unit you are allowed. The falacy of eating "diabetic or non-diabetic foods/candy" is not a funny subject. This is not how the diabetic teaching is now done. Even 'diabetic' foods have content that must be measured the same way as any food consumption. A carb, fat, protein all has the same calories no matter what food substance it is in. You learn to live within your calories and carbs allowed. By law, all items to be consumed/chewed must be labeled.
So if you truely want Angel Food Cake, then eat a small slice. An AFC cut into 12 pieces has 150 calories, 45 grams of carbs.
A slice of Country hearth w/w multigrain bread has 90 calories, 17 grams of carbs. For a slice of cake, think 3 slices of w/w multigrain bread. Then adjust your diet.
I am a diet controlled diabetic as well. Sometimes when we crave something, 1 single bite will be just as good as the whole piece. So I take 1 bite of things I crave!
Grandma J.

I am making an angel-food cake. I see that it is often made using pineapple. Can I use any kind of canned fruit, and do I drain it?

Answers

Try drained mandarin oranges.

Whatever they suggest for pineapple, do for the other fruit.

There are so many ways to make this lovely summer cake!

Are you making a scratch cake (most canned fruits will work but most recipes call for them to be drained)?

If you are making a box mix, it varies. Some say to drain, some say don't drain.

This one is a hybrid and tells you NOT to drain and to add more liquid: food.unl.edu/angel-food-delight

Post back the finished cake! YUM!!!

You can use anything. It's so fun to experiment. If the recipe says drained, then drain. IF it says "with juices" then do not.

I am looking for a recipe for black raspberry twirl angel food cake.

By Beverly Ament from Lewistown, PA

Answers

Here is a similar recipe, it might be the one you are looking for. I would just add black raspberries, blackberries or black raspberry jam.

www.midwestliving.com/.../

This page contains pineapple angel food cake recipes. A simple delicious dessert can be made with these ingredients.

Photo of a piece of pineapple angel food cake.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1

Delicious light and spongy angel food that is suitable for a gluten-free diet. This is a page about gluten free angel food cake.

A half loaf of angle food cake

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes
Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts CakesNovember 17, 2012
💘
🍀

Generated 2020-01-10 09:32:41 in 3 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️