Venting a Dryer Inside

What are the dangers of venting an electric dryer indoors?

Kathy from OH

Putting a nylon over a vent pipe can cause a fire.

Never vent a dryer into a house. Some people do this by putting a nylon stocking over the vent pipe because they think it is a cheap source of heat. While it is true that it heats up the interior of the home, it adds moisture to the air which causes mildew, mold and fungi growth, and dry rot of the framing members in the laundry room area walls, floors, and ceilings.

When I was younger I moved in to a house we'd just bought & started using the electric dryer without bothering to vent it to the outside & guess what!? The mirrors in the WHOLE house steamed TOTALLY up & everything was damp everywhere in the house... It left a very moist & somewhat warm foggy feeling in the house. This was not cool in the least, so I quickly got the dryer vented properly because I feared I was causing dangerous mold spores to grow (from the warm damp air) inside the bedding, sofa, carpeting & it's under-pad... It also isn't good for anyone with allergies... And I bet it's acutally dangerous if you have a gas powered dryer, because of possible carbon dioxide & gas fumes.

* If you live in a dry area (Like Arizona) you could open the windows & run a load or two, (If you REALLY need some clean clothes before you can get it hooked up) this wouldn't hurt anything, but I wouldn't do it on a regular basis. Also, be sure to have your dryer hooked up properly, because if you use a plastic vent hose & not the fire-resistant metal type, then if lint gets stuck in a kink or bend of the line a nasty house fire might start!

I used my dryer a few times when the hose became disconnected, & saw mold spores. It was very damp. I don't think it's a good idea at all.

I just had to comment regarding snoozer55's suggestion. It's a well intended suggestion but please be very careful!

Dryers pose significant & very real fire (due to lint) & health (due to mold) risks. That's why building codes are so specific about dryer venting.

It's critical to avoid restricting the airflow (you're not even suppose to allow sheet metal screws to protrude into the vent). And it's obvious from the picture there is not enough exhaust holes to allow proper venting.

This would never pass code, permits more than enough moisture to form mold, will increase the time it takes to dry your clothes, & is a maintenance headache. But if you're inclined to do this, at the very least cut large 4" holes & optionally attach coarse stainless steel screen.

BTW, I commend snoozer's ingenuity & completely agree there should be a better solution, like some sort of a heat exchanger & condenser unit. It's a shame to waste the heat & water.

Good luck!

What about all the moisture what do you do about that? Does the bucket catch a lot of it?

I know that venting a GAS dryer indoors would be extremely dangerous, because of carbon monoxide it produces.

Venting an electric dryer indoors would cause heat and moisture to accumulate inside ...but there could be times when that it very desirable, like when it is 20 degrees outside, and the air indoors is extremely dry because the home is heated with a forced air heating system.

It seems to me that the warm moist air from the ELECTRIC dryer exhaust is exactly what is missing from the indoor air UNDER THESE CONDITIONS.

Any additional thoughts on this premise? Hidden hazards I am not thinking of ?

Venting an electric dryer indoors would cause heat and moisture to accumulate inside, but there could be times when that it very desirable, like when it is 20 degrees outside, and the air indoors is extremely dry because the home is heated with a forced air heating system.

Any additional thoughts on this premise? Hidden hazards I am not thinking of?

I just last night found out that the remodel done 5 yrs. ago on my basement where the laundry room was relocated did NOT have the dryer vented outside. I found the other end of the hose just lying on the floor on the other side of the wall in my furnace closet. It had some little plastic vented cap on it so it was no accident. Do I have recourse against the construction company? I am very alarmed at what I'm reading about this, as it is a GAS dryer.

Does this bucket cause moisture?

Snoozer's solution looks like a bigger version of what I paid money for. I lived with an electric dryer vented using a vent kit for years. Worked really well. It did add needed humidity to my basement and helped it stay warmer in winter. I'd do it again if I didn' have an outside vent. I don't think this is a solution for a gas dryer.

June 26, 2008 Flag

My clothes dryer is NOT vented to the outside of my house. I have been using a vent box that I have to try to remember to put water in that is supposed to catch the lint. Needless to say, it doesn't do a very effective job, even when I do manage to remember to refill it. Even though the dryer is in the garage, it still makes a mess with the lint flying around everywhere. Does anyone have any other suggestions or know of any new contraptions that may help catch more of the lint? Of course we want it to be safe too. Venting to the outside isn't an option at this time. What were they thinking when they built it like that?

Thanks for any input!

Angie from Bham, AL

Answers:

Venting a Dryer Inside

Use an old pair of panty hose! Just cut off a leg below the knee and attach it with a large rubber band or something else that will keep it secure to your hose. The lint will be caught in the hose, but the air will be able to blow through. (03/29/2007)

By glowgirl

Venting a Dryer Inside

Try putting a knee hi on the end of your vent hose. It should catch the majority of any wayward lint.

God Bless! (03/29/2007)

By GrammySheila

Venting a Dryer Inside

Put a knee high pantyhose over the vent. (03/29/2007)

By Lois

Venting a Dryer Inside

Though my dryer is vented to the outside the lint was collecting in my flower bed. I put a knee high on the vent to collect the lint. I had some problems with the dryer and the electrician that came to repair it had an absolute fit when he saw the knee high. He said it was a fire hazard and should be removed immediately. (03/29/2007)

By Dianne

Venting a Dryer Inside

I have used the Knee High/Panty hose arrangement for years as did my mother before me. The secret to a NON fire hazard is Change the Stocking as soon as you can see it is half to three/quarters full to insure you get proper airflow and don't forget to vacuum out the inside of the dryer where the lint goes to the vent. Sometimes you need a paper towel roll to fit in the opening but do vacuum it regularly. Wet lint does not always make it to the vent hose! (03/29/2007)

By SalTCBug

Venting a Dryer Inside

no no no don't use a stocking! My dryer vents to our enclosed porch, so here's what I made.

Get a 5-gallon bucket that has a lid. Get a dryer hose extension, the flexible plastic kind, cost is about $5.
Cut a hole in the bucket lid that you can insert the end of the extension vent hose into. I used my dremel multi-tool with a cutting bit to make a pretty good circle, one that the vent hose end would just fit into.

On the bucket, drill holes around the upper half all the way around. Make plenty of holes, because the vent will go into the lid, which will be on top of the bucket, and you want it to "breathe."
Fill the bucket halfway up with water. This catches the lint and helps keep it cool. Just make sure you have at least 2 rows of holes drilled all around the top rim of the bucket.
You will have to empty the bucket now & then, depending on how much laundry you do. (04/22/2008)

By snoozer55

RE: Venting a Dryer Inside

clothes dryer
Venting Your Dryer Inside
Home and Garden Home Improvement AdviceJune 26, 2008
Photo of an angel craft made form used dryer sheets.
Making Dryer Sheet Angels
Dryer Sheets
Are Dryer Sheets Safe for Birds?
kitchen drain
Gurgling Drains
Removing Condensation from Inside a Watch
🎉
🎄