Painting Walls Multiple Colors

Painting Walls Multiple Colors
All the walls in a room do not to be the same color or even one color. Get adventurous and create a unique space with paint. This is a guide about painting walls multiple colors.

I am painting my bedroom and was wondering if I use two different colors is it better to: Paint one wall one color and three walls the other color. Or: Paint two walls one color and two walls the other color. Also, if I use a light blue and a light pink which walls should be what? I have I large window in my room, but the bed isn't on that wall.

By EMPSTER from Portland, OR

Best Answer

Paint the walls with the windows in the lighter color. When the sun shines in and the wall is very dark it may look black. I know this because I painted the wrong wall in a deep burgundy :)

Best Answer

I would paint one wall a color and the other three the other color.

Best Answer

Paint the largest wall (the wall without a window or door or the wall with the most sq feet) the darkest shade of paint color.

Hi everyone, I'm new and not sure if this is the right place to post this. But I want to change my room. Right now my furniture is mostly wood. My favorite colors are red and black and I was wondering about painting my walls those colors, but I'm not sure which walls to paint with what colors. Any tips?

Petra

In my former house we painted one wall red in the dining room. It turned out really nice and didn't overpower the room. Be prepared to use two coats as red doesn't really cover well.

I have never used black as a wall paint, but we painted my husband's home office/spare bedroom a very dark gray. It turned out really nice, but it did make the room awfully dark.

My advice, do only one wall to start, and if it doesn't turn out the way you would like, you can always paint over it.

Wendy

After spending 3 days trying to cover my daughter's orange bedroom with lighter paint (she'd painted it when she was 14) I'd definitely rule out black. Dark paints are really hard to cover if you decide you don't like it. Also be very careful with the edges.

Susan from ThriftyFun

To my way of thinking, painting a room all red or all black would be too much. However, what if you painted one wall, preferably an unbroken (no windows or doors) one, red and all the other walls solid white. Then, you could use black as an accent color; i.e., black and white curtains or drapes, bedspread, etc.

To carry off a black room you really need specific furniture and accessories, (e.g. which reflect light, or gold highlights or white textures), and give an overall 'designed' look to the room otherwise it could just look dark and depressing. Red comes in many colours. I would paint a toilet bright fire engine red as it is striking but not a colour I would like to sit in and look at for long periods of time. Other reds, crimson, maroon, ruby, etc, can look fabulous but be aware that a small room will look very small with an all over strong dark colour - the walls will appear to draw in. I have seen a beautiful dining room in a dark red which looked so rich and opulent, especially in lamplight.

Look in some decorating/home magazines for the colours you like and see does the style of your room and furniture fit in with those in the pictures so you can achieve the overall look you want. Colour is only one aspect.

Regards

Jo

Regards

Jo

I justed painted a 9'-10' room w/kilm red (ralph lauren)paint.I've received MANY compliments on the room & color,two of my customers went out & purchased the same color for their homes.The room was done in a safari theme.I think I was able to pull off the dark paint because there are no windows in this room & I have low lighting for a relaxed theme.Dark colors are hard to paint,so it is best that you purchase the primer to go w/the color & paint this first.

one solid color would be too much but if you painted the room red and added a black stripe, horizontal if the room is large or vertical is fairly small, i think that would be very attractive

We just hired this professional painter to come in and paint our dining room, because I am hopeless at painting...he said that we didn't not need a primer, I know they are professional, but this makes me nervous, as i have always heard that a primer is neccessary for any paint color, esp. with the dark red I'm using...help!

i've seen walls painted in an almost black color in Ralph Lauren Suede paint. It looks quite sharp if you have cool furniture - the room I saw had british tan leather upholstery, bright brass lamps and glass tables. I personally have used a rust colored RL suede paint with great success. You might want to check out this suede finish - it could soften a hard, flat black color.

I recently painted my bedroom red and black and it looks amazing! It really doesnt make the room look any smaller at all, in fact I think it loks bigger. I painted two walls red and two walls black, with the walls of the same colour meeting at the corner (that is, if you looked at all the walls in a clockwise way, it goes red red black black). All my furniture is white and it looks great. Recieved many compliments about it.

I have a FR that is primarily Pella floor to ceiling in oak. I am considering painting this room red. Do you think that the red will go well with all of the oak in the room??

I love red and black also. My furniture is red and black also, with a touch of golden yellow so i painted my walls golden yellow with behr paint one coat is all it took.

I agree that one accent wall would be a better idea than an entire room of black or red. Keep your other walls neutral with a khaki or cream color -- it would coordinate beautifully with your black and red accents, and don't forget some green plants, too! In my living room, I just painted the fireplace wall red (Behr "Brick"), and the other walls gold, and it doesn't take the room over at all despite being a dark, rich red. It did take 2 coats, but I did not use primer (and this was over walls that were originally cream colored). Quality paint seems to have more pigment in it and covers better, in my opinion, so I'd always recommend it especially when you want to paint a darker color.

I am a teen, and this summer I decided to redo my room. I have chosen the color purple and I got a new purple plum colored bedspread with zebra accents. My mom wants to make the walls lavender with 1 dark plum wall, but I want to make 3 purple plum walls with 1 lavender wall and to pull the plum to the lavender have a stripe with the color throughout all the walls. Would that work?

By Tess O.

I painted my bedroom with two different colors. My large wall is nautical blue and the other three walls are cream. Something is wrong. It doesn't look right. Can someone offer suggestions?

By Chris B

Which half of a wall should be painted the darkest color, the top half or bottom?

By Kathy from OK

If you want the ceiling to look higher, light on top, and vice versa. If either color is close to or matches the floor color, put that one on the bottom because it will make the room look bigger.

It really depends on how much difference there is in your colors to me, but I totally agree with Omanana on the other points.

Bottom. No matter what.

Do I paint the dark tone on the tallest or shortest wall?

By Karen

I don't understand what you mean tallest or shortest wall. Do you mean widest or narrowest? I guess that would be up to you, do you want the wall that is a different color to be the focal point of the room?

A good tip for most anything having to do with color. Think about which is the heaviest. Dark colors are heavier than light colors (black skirt, white blouse). I would paint the bottom darker than the top. The dark color being heavy, always goes to the bottom. Hope this is clear. :)

I want to paint my recreation room with two colors. My furniture is chocolate, floors are two-toned tan (light and dark) and I have two columns in the center of the room. Orange and tan are the two colors I am considering. Which color should be my dominate color if I accent one wall or should I paint two adjacent walls one color and the other walls another color? Also, what color should I paint the columns?

By Sandy

I planned to paint an accent wall of my family room with random stripes (four different colors). I brought the paint and now I feel so lazy and it seems like lots of hard work. The paint is non refundable so please can anyone suggest how else can I make a pattern or how else can I work with multiple colors on a wall. The colors include light beige, light yellow, light green, and light grey on an off white wall
Thanks a lot in advance.

By Miss handy from tomorrow

I am painting the living room and dining room area using 2 colors. I want to put stripes on the walls, but with an odd number of walls (5) how do I even it out to look good?

By Shelly

I am painting my son's room and want am using a dark blue and grey combination. Which wall(s) would you typically paint the blue?

Lynn from N. Potomac, MD

Answers:

Painting Walls Different Colors in a Bedroom

Hi Lynn, I would paint the "feature" wall the dark blue; the wall that you want to draw the most attention to. I have been using the site behr.com they have a "workshop" that you can pick out your paint colors then pick out a sample room and "paint" the walls with your choices to see how it looks. It has been very helpful to me and is really kind of fun! (01/08/2007)

By Persnickety Paula

Depends. If your room is dark and needs light, paint the wall which will reflect the most light into the room from a window or door the lightest grey. Remembering that dark blue will bring the wall into the room more, sort of closing in on you, I'd paint only "one" wall that color. I've had it before and used white furniture against it and it was striking! Hope you're going nautical? Those are great colors with
accents of red and gold here and there, and brass hardware, lamps, drawer pulls, etc.

God bless you. (01/26/2007)

By Lynda

Paint the walls with the windows in the lighter color. When the sun shines in and the wall is very dark it may look black. I know this because I painted the wrong wall in a deep burgundy. (02/02/2007)

By Lisa from WI