Painting Walls Multiple Colors

All the walls in a room do not to be the same color or even one color. Get adventurous and create a unique space with paint. This is a guide about painting walls multiple colors.

I am painting my bedroom and was wondering if I use two different colors is it better to: Paint one wall one color and three walls the other color. Or: Paint two walls one color and two walls the other color. Also, if I use a light blue and a light pink which walls should be what? I have I large window in my room, but the bed isn't on that wall.

By EMPSTER from Portland, OR

Best Answer

Paint the walls with the windows in the lighter color. When the sun shines in and the wall is very dark it may look black. I know this because I painted the wrong wall in a deep burgundy :)

Best Answer

I would paint one wall a color and the other three the other color.

Best Answer

Paint the largest wall (the wall without a window or door or the wall with the most sq feet) the darkest shade of paint color.

I would paint the wall behind the bed one color, the darker color and the other three the lighter color. I really don't think that pink and blue would look good on walls.

Why not try two shades of pink or blue.

I am a teen, and this summer I decided to redo my room. I have chosen the color purple and I got a new purple plum colored bedspread with zebra accents. My mom wants to make the walls lavender with 1 dark plum wall, but I want to make 3 purple plum walls with 1 lavender wall and to pull the plum to the lavender have a stripe with the color throughout all the walls. Would that work?

By Tess O.

Hmmm. IDK about that. How about plum walls, a lavender ceiling, and bright white trimwork (around the windows, the door, etc.)? Mom is probably concerned that all plum walls will be way too dark, so maybe you can compromise to find a plum paint that is just one little shade lighter than the one you want. My daughter wanted bright lime green walls and I almost went berserk. But I gotta admit that with white trim and black accents, it looked really good. (She's gonna be an interior designer - that's what she's studying at college.) Have fun and good luck!

Draw a picture of your room with the colors you want to see what it will look like. There are also room decorating sites, think home depot has one.

Paint is fairly cheap (compared to a lot of other changes) and easy to change when you move out. Painting a stripe on a wall is easy if you use good quality painter's tape to set the edges (be sure to take the tape off while the paint is still wet). I like the your idea, but be sure to keep the ceiling and the trim white. Does your room have carpet or hard floors? If the floors are light then you can probably get away with plum walls. Decorating is great fun, so have a great time.

I think that since this is your room, and you are going to have to live with whatever you do, that you should just go with what you think. However, the previous posters have some good advice. It would be nice to see how the color works before you paint, so if you can find some decorating sites that would be great. My son wanted his room blue with clouds along the ceiling, but decided that the blue he chose was the wrong blue when it was on the wall, so we didn't do the clouds. Why don't you paint one wall lavender, and one wall the darker color, and then see which color you want for the accent and which for the whole room? Would that work?

Hi everyone, I'm new and not sure if this is the right place to post this. But I want to change my room. Right now my furniture is mostly wood. My favorite colors are red and black and I was wondering about painting my walls those colors, but I'm not sure which walls to paint with what colors. Any tips?

Petra

i've seen walls painted in an almost black color in Ralph Lauren Suede paint. It looks quite sharp if you have cool furniture - the room I saw had british tan leather upholstery, bright brass lamps and glass tables. I personally have used a rust colored RL suede paint with great success. You might want to check out this suede finish - it could soften a hard, flat black color.

I recently painted my bedroom red and black and it looks amazing! It really doesnt make the room look any smaller at all, in fact I think it loks bigger. I painted two walls red and two walls black, with the walls of the same colour meeting at the corner (that is, if you looked at all the walls in a clockwise way, it goes red red black black). All my furniture is white and it looks great. Recieved many compliments about it.

I have a FR that is primarily Pella floor to ceiling in oak. I am considering painting this room red. Do you think that the red will go well with all of the oak in the room??

I love red and black also. My furniture is red and black also, with a touch of golden yellow so i painted my walls golden yellow with behr paint one coat is all it took.

I painted my bedroom with two different colors. My large wall is nautical blue and the other three walls are cream. Something is wrong. It doesn't look right. Can someone offer suggestions?

By Chris B

Who knew shades of white could be so complicated! When I buy paint I tend to defer to the little picture books in the paint isle. They do it for a living and know which ones look best together. Besides repainting, maybe you could get some accessories the cream color to hang on the blue wall. Maybe something with cream/beige shells?

You may want to extend the nautical blue into the 3 beige walls...maybe a few accent lines. If you bring in a 3rd color, such as red, it may come together better. Or consider painting the beige walls white.

Rooms often have two to three colours. Main (really should be neutral, so if you change your decor later, you won't clash), trim is a second but not as dominant colour. Often this will be crown molding, baseboards, window frames, etc. You can make this earth tones like sage, light pumpkin, to name a couple, or jewel colours, dark sapphire blue, emerald green, ruby red, etc. Last will be your accent. This will be the least used. Accent colours will tie in the first two. Accents are usually things like throw pillows, vases, pictures/frames. Often accent colours have a lot of pop, are extremely bold, and a little bit will go a long way, just as too much will overpower.

Maybe it isn't a missing colour you are needing, but theme. You said your wall is nautical blue. Without going overboard, maybe art with beach scenes or old ships on the sea, or lighthouses could be introduced.

As for bedding, I personally would go for cream with a piping of nautical or have it as a secondary. If you have it as primary, your bedding may not exactly match your wall. However, if that does not bother you, then by all means, both choices would be viable.

Just be careful when working with dark colours. In small rooms, dark colours can make a small room tiny and stifling. Make sure if you use a very dark colour in a small room, it is not the dominant one, or you have a lot of natural light, as well as a mirror to bounce the light around. Dark colours in a very large room can make it seem not so large or intimidating. It also absorbs sounds a little better than lighter ones, I believe.

Yeah, this is a novel of an answer to a paragraph of a question, but I hope I helped and/or gave you some fresh ideas.

Which half of a wall should be painted the darkest color, the top half or bottom?

By Kathy from OK

If you want the ceiling to look higher, light on top, and vice versa. If either color is close to or matches the floor color, put that one on the bottom because it will make the room look bigger.

It really depends on how much difference there is in your colors to me, but I totally agree with Omanana on the other points.

Bottom. No matter what.

Do I paint the dark tone on the tallest or shortest wall?

By Karen

I don't understand what you mean tallest or shortest wall. Do you mean widest or narrowest? I guess that would be up to you, do you want the wall that is a different color to be the focal point of the room?

A good tip for most anything having to do with color. Think about which is the heaviest. Dark colors are heavier than light colors (black skirt, white blouse). I would paint the bottom darker than the top. The dark color being heavy, always goes to the bottom. Hope this is clear. :)

I want to paint my recreation room with two colors. My furniture is chocolate, floors are two-toned tan (light and dark) and I have two columns in the center of the room. Orange and tan are the two colors I am considering. Which color should be my dominate color if I accent one wall or should I paint two adjacent walls one color and the other walls another color? Also, what color should I paint the columns?

By Sandy

I would use the tan as the main color and a very vivid red-orange for the accent. Have you considered the wonders of masking tape to make a pattern on one wall using the accent color. Orange is not a favorite color of many people, so limiting its use might make the room more appealing.

I would suggest the pillars be predominately orange and one wall. The masking tape pattern could be repeated on the pillars or even a reverse on what is on the walls. You might want to also considered using the chocolate brown as a smaller area accent on the walls and pillars or even doing the pillars in the dark brown and red-orange. This could be fun and if you don't like it, easy to change.

I planned to paint an accent wall of my family room with random stripes (four different colors). I brought the paint and now I feel so lazy and it seems like lots of hard work. The paint is non refundable so please can anyone suggest how else can I make a pattern or how else can I work with multiple colors on a wall. The colors include light beige, light yellow, light green, and light grey on an off white wall
Thanks a lot in advance.

By Miss handy from tomorrow

I am painting the living room and dining room area using 2 colors. I want to put stripes on the walls, but with an odd number of walls (5) how do I even it out to look good?

By Shelly

I am painting my son's room and want am using a dark blue and grey combination. Which wall(s) would you typically paint the blue?

Lynn from N. Potomac, MD

Answers:

Painting Walls Different Colors in a Bedroom

Hi Lynn, I would paint the "feature" wall the dark blue; the wall that you want to draw the most attention to. I have been using the site behr.com they have a "workshop" that you can pick out your paint colors then pick out a sample room and "paint" the walls with your choices to see how it looks. It has been very helpful to me and is really kind of fun! (01/08/2007)

By Persnickety Paula

Depends. If your room is dark and needs light, paint the wall which will reflect the most light into the room from a window or door the lightest grey. Remembering that dark blue will bring the wall into the room more, sort of closing in on you, I'd paint only "one" wall that color. I've had it before and used white furniture against it and it was striking! Hope you're going nautical? Those are great colors with
accents of red and gold here and there, and brass hardware, lamps, drawer pulls, etc.

God bless you. (01/26/2007)

By Lynda

Paint the walls with the windows in the lighter color. When the sun shines in and the wall is very dark it may look black. I know this because I painted the wrong wall in a deep burgundy. (02/02/2007)

By Lisa from WI