Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Healthy Substitutes for Cream of Mushroom Soup

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
A bowl of cream soup.

This soup is listed in many recipes for casseroles, soups and sauces. This guide contains healthy substitutes for cream of mushroom soup.

Solutions: Healthy Substitutes for Cream of Mushroom Soup

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Healthy Substitutes for Cream of Mushroom Soup

This not a request as such but a question. Why do so many recipes have soup, especially mushroom added to them? I've noticed that at least one of Robin's daily recipes has it in. Canned soup contains a lot of hidden salt and other additives which, if you're on certain diets, isn't too healthy.

Jan from Grantham, UK

Editor's Note: This is a common American ingredient in many casseroles and "quick" meals. If you have suggestions for healthy alternatives, please post them here.

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Healthy Substitutes For Cream of Mushroom Soup

So many recipes call for cream of mushroom/celery/chicken, etc. soup and the soups are so high in sodium I don't want to use them in recipes. Does anyone know of a good healthy substitute for the creamed soups? Thanks a lot.

Bonnie from Tuckerton, NJ

RE: Substitute for Cream of Mushroom Soup

I make my own cream of mushroom soup, similar to the 'basic' recipe listed below. I started doing that years ago and have never gone back to canned. There is absolutely no comparison in taste. (06/27/2007)

By Anonymous

Just FYI-Campbell's does make Healthy Request versions of their cream soups-low in fat and sodium. (06/28/2007)

By Linda

I found that if I have to use these types of soups....I just leave out the other salt that the recipe calls for.....seems to balance things out. Good Luck (06/29/2007)

By Barb.

Campbell's Co. makes soup,(cream of any kind)low in sodium. Weezy (07/03/2007)

By weezy1c

I make a lot of cream soups because my husband and kids love them, but me having 5 children and pushing 30 (in 2 years:-) I can't eat things like that too often. I make all my cream of soups with the base of veggie broth and evaporated milk and a little flour to thicken it up. You'd be surprised at how good it is, I've never heard any complaints. It is a lighter cream soup not as thick as you might be used to. I also make my alfredo sauce the same way I just add some parmesan cheese. (07/03/2007)

By bambi2003.

Question: Does the basic "cream of anything" soup recipe substitute for a condensed can of soup? It seems like there is too much liquid for it to be a straight substitute for a can of condensed soup in a recipe. Any thoughts?

Editor's Note: I think many of the recipes make something like a can of soup with the can of water but haven't tried any of them so can't say for sure. There is one in there that uses dry milk that is supposed to be equivalent to a can of condensed soup. (09/18/2007)

By Lorrie

My husband is allergic to mushrooms. I need to know what I can use instead of cream of mushroom soup in most recipes to get the same results. Editor's Note: Cream of Celery, Cream of Chicken both work well as a substitute. (10/27/2007)

By carole naeher

Canned soups contain M.S.G. (not a preservative, a FLAVOR ENHANCER, like a microphone for your tongue) which is not healthy and possibly quite dangerous to ones health. Homemade soup takes very little effort and contains no MSG (as long as you do not use regular bouillon, which contains mostly MSG).

Cream of Mushroom Soup

• 2 Tbsp. butter
  • 2 Tbsp. canola oil
  • 1/4 c unbleached all purpose flour
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 2 fresh mushrooms, chopped
  • 10 ounces milk
Heat butter and oil then add flour and salt, stirring to make a roux. Add mushrooms and cook about a minute, just to soften. Add milk and stir until thickened. This is a substitute (and a great one at that!) for one 10 oz. can cream of mushroom soup. To make cream of chicken, simply omit mushrooms, add 1 tsp. chicken base (a paste, like bouillon but without the MSG) and substitute half the milk with chicken broth or stock. To make cream of celery, substitute celery for the mushrooms and proceed as listed above.

Happy Healthy Cooking! (10/31/2007)

By Lazy Day Gourmet

THANKS for the basic recipe!!! I am so excited to try it. I also worry about my sodium...there is so much in everything now that I am trying to find ways to avoid it!!! THANKS!! (02/12/2008)

By Mari

I have a fabulous cream of anything recipe, which I mostly use for cream of broccoli soup:
  • 1 1/2 lbs. broccoli
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1 1/2 tsp. chopped garlic(I use more)
  • 1/4 cup of rice, 4 cups chicken broth
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan (optional)

Separate broccoli flowerettes from stems, cut into small buds, blanch for 3 minutes. Plunge into cold water, drain and set aside. Peel remaining broccoli and chop into 1/2 inch chunks. Heat oil in soup kettle,add garlic and cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute, without browning. Stir in chunked broccoli and add raw rice. Stir for 2 minutes, add broth, bring to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer for 15 minutes or until broccoli and rice are tender. Use processor to puree or use hand-held blender. Add flowerettes to pureed soup. Heat. Serve with grated cheese. Yummy! (06/10/2008)

By Lori