Healthy Substitutes for Cream of Mushroom Soup

This soup is listed in many recipes for casseroles, soups and sauces. This guide contains healthy substitutes for cream of mushroom soup.

July 25, 2008 Flag

This not a request as such but a question. Why do so many recipes have soup, especially mushroom added to them? I've noticed that at least one of Robin's daily recipes has it in. Canned soup contains a lot of hidden salt and other additives which, if you're on certain diets, isn't too healthy.

Jan from Grantham, UK

Editor's Note: This is a common American ingredient in many casseroles and "quick" meals. If you have suggestions for healthy alternatives, please post them here.

The thing with the cream soups being the base of so many recipes is that it is fairly inexpensive here in the US, as well as an easy staple to keep in the pantry. It adds moisture and flavor to what might otherwise be a tough cut of meat, or a bland one.

Tonight I was trying to find something quick but yummy to fix and I had just purchased some cheap "shoulder steaks" yesterday. I seasoned and seared one and put it in a glass baking dish, sliced a bit of onion over it, was out of potatoes, or I would have sliced them over it as well. Then I covered it with cream of mushroom soup and baked it for about 20 mins -- sooooo yummy!

If you're concerned about sodium, there are low sodium and "no salt added" versions available as well.

Here is my answer to the expensive & not-so healthy canned soup:

Cream Soup-Cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup

2 C instant nonfat dry milk

3/4 C cornstarch

1/4 C reduced sodium chicken or beef bouillon

1/2 tsp dried crushed thyme

1/2 tsp dried crushed basil

1/4 tsp pepper

Combine all ingredients in blender. Store in airtight container. Use 1/3 C dry mix and 1 C water mix together in sauce pan. Cook until thickened.

I make mine in the microwave. I mix it up in a bowl, nuke for 1 minute, stir, continue to nuke and stir 1 minute at a time until thickened like reg. soup. I always keep a jar of this stuff in my pantry. I make one batch w/ chicken bouillon for cream of chicken soup and one batch w/ beef bouillon for mushroom soup. This recipe is equivalent to nine cans of soup.

Hope that helps someone,

I am a vegan and I do not use canned food. My recipe for cream of mushroom soup is:

1 Cup water

1/2 cup chopped onions

1 garlic clove crushed

1 or 2 Tbsp of olive oil

2 cups chopped or sliced fresh mushrooms

1 Tbsp of corn flour

some Worcestershire sauce or some mustard, just

enough to taste (optional)

Salt, and pepper.

Heat oil in medium heat. Saute the onion,garlic and mushrooms. In a mixing bowl add water and flour and beat until it gets the consistency of heavy cream. Add more flour if needed. Add this mixture to the onions mixture little by little so it does not get lumpy and keep stirring. Add the rest of the ingredients. I hope you enjoy it.

I have a question why do you have to cook the basic cream of anything soup mix before you use it in a recipe. Can't you just add it in and go from there or not.

July 25, 2008 Flag

So many recipes call for cream of mushroom/celery/chicken, etc. soup and the soups are so high in sodium I don't want to use them in recipes. Does anyone know of a good healthy substitute for the creamed soups? Thanks a lot.

Bonnie from Tuckerton, NJ

Substitute for Cream of Mushroom Soup

I make my own cream of mushroom soup, similar to the 'basic' recipe listed below. I started doing that years ago and have never gone back to canned. There is absolutely no comparison in taste. (06/27/2007)

By Anonymous

Substitute for Cream of Mushroom Soup

Just FYI-Campbell's does make Healthy Request versions of their cream soups-low in fat and sodium. (06/28/2007)

By Linda

Substitute for Cream of Mushroom Soup

I found that if I have to use these types of soups....I just leave out the other salt that the recipe calls for.....seems to balance things out.

Good Luck (06/29/2007)

By Barb.

Substitute for Cream of Mushroom Soup

Campbell's Co. makes soup,(cream of any kind)low in sodium.
Weezy (07/03/2007)

By weezy1c

Substitute for Cream of Mushroom Soup

I make a lot of cream soups because my husband and kids love them, but me having 5 children and pushing 30 (in 2 years:-) I can't eat things like that too often. I make all my cream of soups with the base of veggie broth and evaporated milk and a little flour to thicken it up. You'd be surprised at how good it is, I've never heard any complaints. It is a lighter cream soup not as thick as you might be used to. I also make my alfredo sauce the same way I just add some parmesan cheese. (07/03/2007)

By bambi2003.

Substitute for Cream of Mushroom Soup

Question: Does the basic "cream of anything" soup recipe substitute for a condensed can of soup? It seems like there is too much liquid for it to be a straight substitute for a can of condensed soup in a recipe. Any thoughts?

Editor's Note: I think many of the recipes make something like a can of soup with the can of water but haven't tried any of them so can't say for sure. There is one in there that uses dry milk that is supposed to be equivalent to a can of condensed soup. (09/18/2007)

By Lorrie

Substitute for Cream of Mushroom Soup

My husband is allergic to mushrooms. I need to know what I can use instead of cream of mushroom soup in most recipes to get the same results.

Editor's Note: Cream of Celery, Cream of Chicken both work well as a substitute. (10/27/2007)

By carole naeher

Substitute for Cream of Mushroom Soup

Canned soups contain M.S.G. (not a preservative, a FLAVOR ENHANCER, like a microphone for your tongue) which is not healthy and possibly quite dangerous to ones health. Homemade soup takes very little effort and contains no MSG (as long as you do not use regular bouillon, which contains mostly MSG).

Cream of Mushroom Soup

• 2 Tbsp. butter
  • 2 Tbsp. canola oil
  • 1/4 c unbleached all purpose flour
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 2 fresh mushrooms, chopped
  • 10 ounces milk

Heat butter and oil then add flour and salt, stirring to make a roux. Add mushrooms and cook about a minute, just to soften. Add milk and stir until thickened. This is a substitute (and a great one at that!) for one 10 oz. can cream of mushroom soup. To make cream of chicken, simply omit mushrooms, add 1 tsp. chicken base (a paste, like bouillon but without the MSG) and substitute half the milk with chicken broth or stock. To make cream of celery, substitute celery for the mushrooms and proceed as listed above.

Happy Healthy Cooking! (10/31/2007)

By Lazy Day Gourmet

Substitute for Cream of Mushroom Soup

THANKS for the basic recipe!!! I am so excited to try it. I also worry about my sodium...there is so much in everything now that I am trying to find ways to avoid it!!! THANKS!! (02/12/2008)

By Mari

Substitute for Cream of Mushroom Soup

I have a fabulous cream of anything recipe, which I mostly use for cream of broccoli soup:

• 1 1/2 lbs. broccoli
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1 1/2 tsp. chopped garlic(I use more)
  • 1/4 cup of rice, 4 cups chicken broth
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan (optional)

Separate broccoli flowerettes from stems, cut into small buds, blanch for 3 minutes. Plunge into cold water, drain and set aside. Peel remaining broccoli and chop into 1/2 inch chunks. Heat oil in soup kettle,add garlic and cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute, without browning. Stir in chunked broccoli and add raw rice. Stir for 2 minutes, add broth, bring to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer for 15 minutes or until broccoli and rice are tender. Use processor to puree or use hand-held blender. Add flowerettes to pureed soup. Heat. Serve with grated cheese. Yummy! (06/10/2008)

By Lori

Yuk. Australians would never put canned soup in a casserole. You use home made stock from chicken bones, red wine, freshly chopped garlic and carrots and mushrooms and herbs. If you want to thicken it, dust the raw meat in a little flour before browning it, but not necessary. Food shouldn't come out of a packet.

Food and Recipes Food Tips SubstitutionsAugust 17, 2012
Cream of Mushroom Soup
Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipes
broth based mushroom soup
Mushroom Soup Recipes
Woman Looking For Substitute Foods in the Fridge
Substituting Foods in Recipes
Cup of corn chowder with cheese and bacon on it.
Cream Soup Base Recipes