Keeping Cut Fruit from Browning

Cutting fruit in advance saves time but also can result in unattractive, oxidized brown fruit. This is a guide about keeping cut fruit from browning.

February 23, 2012 Flag

After cutting an apple, put it back together with an elastic ban. This will keep it from going brown in lunches.

By coville123 from Brockville, Ontario

That's nice, putting back the apple together with an rubber band. It gets to show that rubber band is one of the most beneficial and adaptable products in our home. In fact, there are few more out-of-the-box utilizes for them. Learn some more unexpected utilizes for rubber bands here: https://personalmoneynetwork.com/moneyblog/2012/08/20/rubber-bands-part-2/

What happens about the seeds? If you pare out the seed part in the middle and then put it back together, will the center get brown? If you don't pare out the seeds, how does the eater remove them at lunch time?

Why would you cut an apple in two and not use it?

February 3, 2011 Flag

Fruit fresh made easy! Fruit-Fresh is so expensive and there is so little in the can. The main ingredient is vitamin C or ascorbic acid. I got to thinking and bought some chewable vitamin C tablets, crushed them in water, and mixed into my fruit salad.

January 2, 2012 Flag

How do you keep sliced apples from browning?

By Dan

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I sprinkle lemon or lime juice on them. If I need to keep a bunch from turning, I put them in a zip bag and mix about 1 tablespoon lemon or lime juice with 1 tablespoon water, pour in and seal up and mix around.

There is also a product at the grocery store called Fruit Fresh. I believe it's normally with the canning products. We use it on peaches.

Best Answer

Sprite and other lemon/lime soda/pop works great, as well as the others mentioned.

Sprinkle lemon juice on them.

Keeping them out of the fridge.

May 16, 2005 Flag

When I cut fresh fruit for a salad it turns Brown. How can I keep this from happening?

Thanks for your help,
Missy from Las Vegas

I have heard to put lemon juice or salt water on it.

If you don't want fruit to brown put them in water with a vitamin c tablet. It does work. I used it for a science experiment.

I heard lemon juice works

Keep a fruit such as an apple or pear in a fresh fruit container and put it in the fridge. Make sure fruit is fresh or use lemon juice.

Pineapple juice works just as well as lemon and tastes a lot better too.

June 10, 2008 Flag

How do you keep fresh peaches from turning brown on desserts?

Esoper from Franklinton, NC

Lemon juice helps keep them from turning or, if you are using a glaze, cut them right into the glaze and toss. The air flow is what causes them to turn brown. I use a little lemon juice with a little water just enough to coat but not enough to flavor them. Good luck and enjoy those peaches. Also some people just use sugar on them and that seems to help some

Soak all cut fruits in sprite or 7 up for few minutes. Adds flavor and prevents them from turning. Even works on bananas.

I've also used this trick on fresh fruit salad. Pour a can of 7-Up over your peaches/fruit. Drain, before serving. On fruit salad, it gives it a nice sparkly flavor too.

I use something called fruit fresh. You can usually find it in the aisle of your grocer where the pectin for making jams is.

I learned this while serving as a demonstrator in supermarkets. Soak fruit in pineapple juice. Hope this helps!

February 14, 2007 Flag

Does salt water solution help to keep fruit from browning and why? Which is more effective, salt solution or acidic juices?

Rosanne from North Huntingdon, PA

I've never heard of using salt water. It seems that would just be another way to get more unwanted sodium into your diet. I add lemon juice to a bowl of ice water when I'm slicing apples, then I dip the slices in the lemon water and that keeps them from browning. I'm not sure why this works, but it works very well. I heard it from my mother and from several sites and books while making my own baby food. By the way, the lemon juice in no way alters the flavor of the fruit.

Yes a soak in salt water helps the browning from happening, although you must rinse off the salt water. Acidid juices do not have to be rinsed off and sometimes can give your fruit a really good flavor. Chefs add lemon to a lot of things to bring out the complex flavors, next time you want to serve apples, try squeezing some grapefruit or tangerine juices over instead, the flavor profile is great!

Good feedback on the salt water with fruit. I can't keep fruit peeled long enough for it to turn brown. You can tell that with only two people in my house not a lot of food is served homemade. I do know that potatoes will turn black looking if you don't cook then right after peeling. Thank goodness Mother taught me to put cold water over potatoes if I wasn't going to slice them right after peeling. Nothing like a dark red/brown or blackened potato to make a person want to go on a diet.

Good luck, Judith Walker , judyajudy@yahoo.com

I use orange juice when cutting apples to save for later ,you just drain off the juice when you are ready to serve

Well, I did a science fair project and soaked an apple in salt water for four weeks and it still turned brown, but that's a different matter. Vinegar preserves the looks, but I don't know about the taste.

December 3, 2005 Flag

Squeeze lemon juice on fruit salad and it will not brown quickly. Some grapefruit juice will work as well and will taste even better (if you like the taste of grapefruits).

December 3, 2005 Flag

Coat peeled apples with a little lemon juice to keep them from browning quickly. Or toss them into a basin of water with a pinch of salt in it.

Food and Recipes Food Tips FruitFebruary 15, 2012
Closeup of Gray Squirrel
Keeping Squirrels Out of Fruit Trees
Brown Leaves on a Loquat Tree
Brown Leaves on a Loquat Tree
cherry cobbler
Fruit Cobbler Recipes
Small stack of nectarines against white background.
Peeling Nectarines
🎉
🎄