Keeping Cut Fruit from Browning

Cutting fruit in advance saves time but also can result in unattractive, oxidized brown fruit. This is a guide about keeping cut fruit from browning.

Apple slices.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

A cut apple that is held together with a rubberband to keep from browning.After cutting an apple, put it back together with an elastic ban. This will keep it from going brown in lunches.

By coville123 from Brockville, Ontario

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do you keep sliced apples from browning?

By Dan

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I sprinkle lemon or lime juice on them. If I need to keep a bunch from turning, I put them in a zip bag and mix about 1 tablespoon lemon or lime juice with 1 tablespoon water, pour in and seal up and mix around.

There is also a product at the grocery store called Fruit Fresh. I believe it's normally with the canning products. We use it on peaches.

Best Answer

Sprite and other lemon/lime soda/pop works great, as well as the others mentioned.

Read More Answers...

Fruit fresh made easy! Fruit-Fresh is so expensive and there is so little in the can. The main ingredient is vitamin C or ascorbic acid. I got to thinking and bought some chewable vitamin C tablets, crushed them in water, and mixed into my fruit salad. Works great and keeps the fruit from browning and tastes fine. Works wonderfully!

By karla from Eugene, OR

When I cut fresh fruit for a salad it turns Brown. How can I keep this from happening?

Thanks for your help,
Missy from Las Vegas

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Lemon juice

Read More Answers...

How do you keep fresh peaches from turning brown on desserts?

Esoper from Franklinton, NC

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I use frozen concentrated orange juice to keep peaches from turning brown. Wash approx. 15-20 peaches, slice with the skins on for nutritional value, add one 12 oz. can frozen concentrated orange juice, mix well to thoroughly coat and place in freezer bags. The orange juice adds a delicious flavor and color to the peaches and is sure to please. One of my favorite recipes is peach cobbler: thaw a bag of peaches and add topping, nothing needs to be added to the peaches.

Read More Answers...

Does salt water solution help to keep fruit from browning and why? Which is more effective, salt solution or acidic juices?

Rosanne from North Huntingdon, PA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I'm no expert but I've always seen my mother used lime juice on ground provisions like yams, or potatoes if she is going to store them in freezer. When it comes to cooking for ex. cooking potato, bananas in boiling water a little salt will help keep the food from becoming discolored.

Read More Answers...

Squeeze lemon juice on fruit salad and it will not brown quickly. Some grapefruit juice will work as well and will taste even better (if you like the taste of grapefruits).

By ThriftyFun

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Coat peeled apples with a little lemon juice to keep them from browning quickly. Or toss them into a basin of water with a pinch of salt in it.

By ThriftyFun

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Food and Recipes Food Tips FruitFebruary 15, 2012
Closeup of Gray Squirrel
Keeping Squirrels Out of Fruit Trees
Brown Leaves on a Loquat Tree
Brown Leaves on a Loquat Tree
cherry cobbler
Fruit Cobbler Recipes
Small stack of nectarines against white background.
Peeling Nectarines
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 19, 2016 at 1:15:04 PM on 10.0.1.206 in 833 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.