Keeping Cut Fruit from Browning

Category Fruit
Cutting fruit in advance saves time but also can result in unattractive, oxidized brown fruit. This is a guide about keeping cut fruit from browning.

Fruit fresh made easy! Fruit-Fresh is so expensive and there is so little in the can. The main ingredient is vitamin C or ascorbic acid. I got to thinking and bought some chewable vitamin C tablets, crushed them in water, and mixed into my fruit salad. Works great and keeps the fruit from browning and tastes fine. Works wonderfully!

By karla from Eugene, OR

Depending on what's in your fruit salad or what your using the fruit for, I use orange juice in fruit salad and dip in a lemon juice/water mix for dehydrating or canning. A quick dip doesn't add lemon taste.

Three slices of red apple

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about prevent apples slices from turning brown. When you need to store cut apples for later use, there are a few ways to keep them looking fresh.

Squeeze lemon juice on fruit salad and it will not brown quickly. Some grapefruit juice will work as well and will taste even better (if you like the taste of grapefruits).

By ThriftyFun

When I cut fresh fruit for a salad it turns Brown. How can I keep this from happening?

Thanks for your help,
Missy from Las Vegas

I've read this tip in a recipe book the other day. I must try it out first though. They say that you must pop an apple, banana or avocado quickly in boiling water before peeling it. The skin of the banana and avo might turn black, but the fruit will not be affected. After this, the fruit will not turn brown once peeled. I don't know - it sounds too good to be true. I will try it and let you know.

A few years ago I bought a product named "Tater White" which was used mostly by restaurants. It worked well on any fruits or vegetable and took only a small amount. One package lasted me for years, but I can't find it anymore. Does anyone know where I can find it?

I have heard to put lemon juice or salt water on it.

If you don't want fruit to brown put them in water with a vitamin c tablet. It does work. I used it for a science experiment.

I heard lemon juice works

Keep a fruit such as an apple or pear in a fresh fruit container and put it in the fridge. Make sure fruit is fresh or use lemon juice.

Pineapple juice works just as well as lemon and tastes a lot better too.

How do you keep fresh peaches from turning brown on desserts?

Esoper from Franklinton, NC

Lemon juice helps keep them from turning or, if you are using a glaze, cut them right into the glaze and toss. The air flow is what causes them to turn brown. I use a little lemon juice with a little water just enough to coat but not enough to flavor them. Good luck and enjoy those peaches. Also some people just use sugar on them and that seems to help some

Soak all cut fruits in sprite or 7 up for few minutes. Adds flavor and prevents them from turning. Even works on bananas.

I've also used this trick on fresh fruit salad. Pour a can of 7-Up over your peaches/fruit. Drain, before serving. On fruit salad, it gives it a nice sparkly flavor too.

I use something called fruit fresh. You can usually find it in the aisle of your grocer where the pectin for making jams is.

I learned this while serving as a demonstrator in supermarkets. Soak fruit in pineapple juice. Hope this helps!

I use frozen concentrated orange juice to keep peaches from turning brown. Wash approx. 15-20 peaches, slice with the skins on for nutritional value, add one 12 oz. can frozen concentrated orange juice, mix well to thoroughly coat and place in freezer bags. The orange juice adds a delicious flavor and color to the peaches and is sure to please. One of my favorite recipes is peach cobbler: thaw a bag of peaches and add topping, nothing needs to be added to the peaches.

When slicing bananas to put in a gelatin salad, how do I keep them from turning dark?

By Sandi L.