Decorating a Classroom for a Surprise Party

A group of 4th graders will be saying farewell to their young student teacher. I am to help decorate the classroom for a surprise party in her honor. What can I make in advance to put up during lunch hour to make this young lady feel special?

Karen from Roseville, MI

This may sound strange but I think a hand chain would be great. Each student can trace their hand and cut it out of black construction paper and fasten them all together in a chain. This teacher can remember her first group of kids by the hand prints and know that she had a "hand" in their education. They can write their names on the black paper with whiteout or a metallic silver sharpie. It will be quick, easy, fun and something she will cherish. You are kind to think of her with a surprise.

A big banner with an appropriate message and all the children's signatures to put across the blackboard might work. I have seen these with magnets glued to the back and the magnets then hold it to the metal stripping around the blackboard. The banner would make a very nice momento for the student teacher.

I'd say any kind of decoration would be great...but as a teacher (and especially when I was a student teacher) the most meaningful thing to me is (was) notes from students. In all their misspellings, strange grammar, and such--their words are the most meaningful and encouraging. Maybe have them write and draw something, then put up the pictures and notes, then have a binder ready to put all the sentiments in so she can take it with her. (A binder makes it easy to take the memories with her, wherever she goes.)

Planning a Surprise Party. People at a surprise party.
Planning a Surprise Party
Holidays and Parties Parties SchoolJanuary 11, 2006
Surprise 16th Birthday Party
Surprise 16th Birthday Party Ideas
Organized Classroom
Organizing Your Classroom
Feng Shui Decorating, Feng Shui Decorating
Feng Shui Decorating
Party Balloons
Surprise 50th Birthday Party Ideas
🎉
🎄