Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Bar of Soap Stuck in Toilet

A soap bar is an immediate obstruction to your plumbing when it accidentally is flushed in the toilet. This guide is about bar of soap stuck in toilet.

June 6, 2005 Flag

A bar of soap is clogging our guest toilet causing overflow upon flushing. Snaking removed a small part of the bar but enough remains lodged to cause the problem to continue. Any tips on disolving the soap bar quickly while keeping the toilet intact?

Thank you,
LeeAnne from Maryland

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Hello all,

First off, what a great little forum I have found here!

Two days ago I intentionally threw a mushy bar of soap (it belonged to my roommate who had just been leaving it dissolve in the shower for weeks until I just couldn't take it anymore) that was about two thirds the size of a regular bar of soap. Before throwing I thought that I was about to do something stupid but figured that the bar of soap, being so mushy and not that big would just flush down easily. Big mistake.

So for two days I've been flushing like crazy hoping to dissolve the soap. I also threw bleach in the toilet and even Drano (apparently you're not supposed to do that as per the instructions on the can) and nothing would work. My toilet was flushing so slowly that there was no way it could handle anything other than urine. I wanted to throw a bucket of very hot water down the toilet but then I read that I could melt my toilet's wax ring (whatever that is) or crack the toilet so I decided not to. I bought an auger, the kind plumbers use, and snaked the toilet two or three times. I did reach the soap as I could see lots of soap material stuck at the end of the auger but still my toilet was flushing way too slow to handle number twos.

So today I read this thread and decided to pour three big buckets of WARM water and plunge the toilet for about 15 seconds in between each pour. I poured the water as quickly as I could. My toilet is now flushing great. I'll still monitor it for the next few days but all seems good.

I had this happen to me and I went out to buy Liquid Drano but saw Roebic Soap Digester which has enzymes that breaks down soap and is generally used for washing machines and diswashers. Anyway I turned the water off poured it in the toilet and plunged a few times to get it worked down and left it for 12 hours and bam no more soap..and it only cost around 8 bucks.

A brand new bar of soap jumped out of my 12 year old sons hands and landed in the toilet. Of coarse, he flushed it. It took a while (the next morning "Christmas" when going to shower) to figure out why it was clogged. I tried everything! Read this the morning after Christmas and tried the hot water with water softener salt almost to a boil. It took only 4 gallons and the soap was gone. Cost was 0 as I took the salt from the water softener.

I am going to try some of these tricks...I am glad to hear my 4 year old isn't the only one to have done this.

OMG! This works! My son dropped a bar of soap in the toilet last night. I have been plunging all day I have blisters on my hands. Finally took a break and googled "bar of soap in toilet" thinking how silly that sounded. Had no idea how many people this has happened to! Thanks for the help, it worked like a charm and not to mention my toilet bowl is so clean now ha ha!

My husband, also a plumber, said that flushing hot water down a toilet will not melt that ring. I done it many times over the years for various reasons and I've never had a problem.

This thread helped me, so i wanted to chime in. I had the same problem with a bar of soap in the toilet. I left town for a few days and assumed it would naturally dissolve by the time I got back home, but no such luck. I found this thread and then searched for the aforementioned Roebic Soap Digester. I couldn't find that exact product at Ace Hardware but i did find Roebic Main Line Cleaner (for about the same price $9), which I decided to try instead. I poured about 1 1/2 cups into the clogged toilet and waited about two hours. I then dumped a pot of boiling water into the standing water in the toilet and it began to drain instantly, but slowly. I followed up with 3 or 4 more pots of boiling water and voila! Mission accomplished!

Thanks for the terrific advice regarding the Roebic product! It worked on my commode within a few hours.

Pour a can of Coke down the toilet.Coke can lift paint varnish from wood so should be able to take care of soap.

Did you try it yourself ?

November 7, 2008 Flag

My sweet autistic daughter put a bar of soap down the toilet. I tried getting it out but it went further back. Now every time we have to go to the bathroom we have to plunge the toilet because it gets real high. What do I use to dissolve this problem? I need ideas please.

Barbara from Shoemakersville, PA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Aww. Poor love. I have two autistic children, ages 4 and 7. Life is NEVER dull with them. Call a plumber and ask. He might have some ideas, too. Then hug your little dear. I am sure she was trying to help 'clean' the bathroom. Just to ask, though... Have you thought of liquid soap? I bought a huge thing of it from Wal Mart for under 4.00. Then found a pretty pump for just a couple of dollars (although I am sure the dollar store also have pretty ones, too).

That was not quite a year ago, and we still have a little bit left. So, for about six dollars, we have a nice pump and soap that has lasted about a year. Pretty good investment.

Try hot water, then baking soda, followed by the vinegar. Then hot water again

I would put boiling water down the toilet. I agree to hug your daughter. Years ago my brother dropped his screwdriver down the toilet and we had to get a plumber. I never heard of another kid who refused to go anywhere without his screwdriver.

Just wanted to let you know we had to take the toilet off and since we are renting an old trailer the flooring is horrible. Love I tried the hot water and everything when honey finally got the soap out using a hose from the bottom of the toilet the soap never got any smaller. So please dear people if you have little kids or pets or anything.

Please do not keep the bars of soap near use liquid soap. I got rid of my last 2 bars. Plumber said they are buggers to get out. Talk to one on the phone. So we are not the only ones and makes we feel a bit better. Also to the mother of the 2 autistic kids you are right life is never dull and zoos are better calm and relaxing than our houses. Won't change it for the world just sometimes drives you crazy.

You might try purchasing a plumber's snake from the hardware. It will ream out the line.

Exactly dietvanilla! We had this problem at work as one of the alzheimer residents did the same thing! Toilet had to come off and to get soap out, the maintenance man had to use a hose to flush it out. It did not melt or even get soft. Strange, as when it is in our bathrooms, it seems it melts in the air!

Barb,

Sorry, I don't have a method for that either. I have a sweet 8 year old Autistic son and we are forever plunging the toilet. We use only liquid soap. We plunge because of toilet paper and diaper wipes..

Hug that sweetie :) Sarah in Washington

Turn off the water to the toilet.

Flush and plunge.

Pour boiling water down.

Let sit. four or five minutes.

Plunge again.

Do this maybe four or five times.. or until the boiling water goes down on it's own.

Turn the water back on and, once the tank is full, Flush again.

You might have to do this all several times, but it's better than the cost of a plumber.

Good Luck!

I wouldn't put boiling water in the toilet. The toilet is cold, and the hot water could cause your toilet to crack. It happened to me when my daughter was young, I had to replace the toilet. So, please think about putting hot water in the toilet.

This procedure worked perfectly, thanks!

December 12, 2011 Flag

My mom put a bar of soap into the tank of the toilet because the detergent thing has spoiled. When she flushed, the bar stuck at the hole. So now the flush lever has to be pulled more than 1 time (or could not be pulled) to fully flush. Anyone have any ideas?

By parislouise

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I might not be understanding the location of the soap bar, because from what I'm understanding in your question the soap is located in an easy to reach spot; I would have gloved up and pulled the thing out of there by now.

Is that possible in your situation?

Home and Garden Home Improvement PlumbingMay 20, 2012
Hand washing shower wall
Removing Soap Scum from Shower Doors
Washing with bar soap.
Is Using Bar Soap Safe?
Toilet Brush Head
Toilet Brush Head Stuck in Toilet
Saving Money on Toilet Paper
Saving Money on Toilet Paper
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 23, 2017 at 8:24:07 AM on 10.0.2.32 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.