Buying Creeping Zinnia Seeds

Q: I saw the beautiful picture of the creeping zinnia and I would love them for my garden. The problem is I can't seem to find plants or seeds anywhere on the web. Does anyone know where I can get them?

Hardiness Zone: 5b

JILLSAVES from Shavertown, PA

A: If you search the web using the terms "Sanvitalia seeds" or "Sanvitalia procumbens" you'll find a lot more resources then if you try searching for creeping zinnias. Also, in seed catalogs, creeping zinnias are sometimes listed under specialty annuals rather being grouped with traditional cut flower zinnias. Most of the larger seed companies like Burpee and Gurneys sell them.

Prices seem to vary widely so it pays shop around. From the few web sites I checked out, Stokes Seeds ( offers the convenience of being able to order different quantities of the three most popular varieties, "Yellow Carpet," "Aztec Gold" and "Mandarin Orange." Their prices also seem in line with other seed companies (maybe a bit better).

For cheap or even free seeds, I would recommend searching garden forums or seed exchanges. Most gardeners are more than willing to share their seeds or swap them for something they don't have. It's a great feeling knowing that somewhere out there, seeds from your garden are adding to the beauty of someone else's garden.

Editor's Note: Be sure to check out ThriftyFun's Seed Swap. You can find it here:

About The Author: Ellen Brown is our Green Living and Gardening Expert. Click here to ask Ellen a question! Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at

you can try burpee...they have a large selection of plants and seeds.

I just checked my Burpee catalog...they have some!!

Try these:

Look for CREEPING-ZINNIA-SEEDS-GREAT-FOR-HANGING-BASKETS ... productid=16878&cat=0&page=1

(look at Zinnia Crystal White & Zinnia Crystal Yellow)

Hope you find what you're lookin' for!

Sanvitalia (Creeping Zinnia)
Growing Sanvitalia (Creeping Zinnia)
Home and Garden Gardening SeedsMarch 17, 2006
Closeup of blue flowering creeping charlie.
Getting Rid of Ground Ivy (Creeping Charlie)
dark pink zinnia pillow
Making a Zinnia Throw Pillow
Saving Zinnia Seeds
Saving Zinnia Seeds