Making a Zinnia Throw Pillow
This is an unusual but striking pillow and resembles a zinnia when done.
Approximate Time: 3 hours, depending on sewing experience
- sewing machine
- thread to match zinnia
- thread to match base of pillow
- pillow base fabric (about 1/2 yard)
- felt by the yard 1/3 yd
- tape measure
- Cut out an 18 inch square of base fabric. I used some synthetic suede I had on hand.
- Cut approximately 30 circles from felt that are 3-1/2 inches in diameter and 30 circles that are about 2 inches in diameter. This does not have to be exact.
- Cut all circles in half.
- With base fabric, draw a large circle on one 18 inch square. I used a pizza pan and drew around it.
- Starting at the outer edge, lay a row of "petals" around the outside perimeter. On the next row, stagger the petals to make them look like a flower. I did four rows with the 3-1/2 inch petals and then I started on the smaller circles till I got to the center. At the very center, you may have to put a few pleats in the felt to get it to work in.
- Once you have your zinnia on the base fabric, sew the other 18 inch piece to it right sides together, leaving an opening for turning.
- Insert a pillow form or stuff with fiberfill in the opening.
- Hand sew the opening shut.
By Elaine from Belle Plaine, IA
CommentsRead More Comments
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.