Making a Zinnia Throw Pillow

Category Decorations
This decorative throw pillow looks like a beautiful zinnia flower. This is a guide about making a zinnia throw pillow.

This is an unusual but striking pillow and resembles a zinnia when done.

Approximate Time: 3 hours, depending on sewing experience

Instructions:

1. Cut out an 18 inch square of base fabric. I used some synthetic suede I had on hand.
  2. Cut approximately 30 circles from felt that are 3-1/2 inches in diameter and 30 circles that are about 2 inches in diameter. This does not have to be exact.
  3. Ad

4. Cut all circles in half.
  5. With base fabric, draw a large circle on one 18 inch square. I used a pizza pan and drew around it.
  6. Starting at the outer edge, lay a row of "petals" around the outside perimeter. On the next row, stagger the petals to make them look like a flower. I did four rows with the 3-1/2 inch petals and then I started on the smaller circles till I got to the center. At the very center, you may have to put a few pleats in the felt to get it to work in.
  7. Once you have your zinnia on the base fabric, sew the other 18 inch piece to it right sides together, leaving an opening for turning.
  8. Insert a pillow form or stuff with fiberfill in the opening.
  9. Hand sew the opening shut.

By Elaine from Belle Plaine, IA

Beautiful job! I love it!

Did you glue the petals on or sew them on. Thank you.

I sewed them on but if you use fabric glue, I don't see why you could not glue them on. In fact it might be easier. It is felt, so it can't be washed anyway.

Think I will try the fabric glue. It is very pretty. Thanks for the pattern.