Jasmine Leaves Turning Brown

I am new to CA and slowly trying to learn about all the different plants and gardening rules that differ from the northeast. I moved into my house last August and it had a beautiful Jasmine plant going up one of the columns. This spring it went into bloom and was gorgeous.

Now the problem, when the flowers were dead I deadheaded the plant. Within days I noticed that a lot of leaves had brown all over them. Is it possible that the milky white substances caused this on the leaves? It looks almost like they are burned. If this did cause the problem, how do I prevent this next time? If I cut all these dead leaves won't the same thing happen? Looking forward to any help you can give me.

By Dwutz from Santa Clarita, CA

Welcome to CA. It is a great place for growing so many wonderful plants. I have had Star Jasmine for years. They take hard cutting back and they will grow masses of white blooms around May/June/July. We just had ours cut back last week. Here is a picture of the vines. I do have one strange one. I dug it up about 10-15 yrs ago and moved it to the "Path Garden" and it became a TREE,never had a single white flower since,but does have pale yellow flowers in a much different form in June/July. I don't know what caused it to change but it makes a nice addition to the garden. The browning happens once in awhile when the weather is to hot.But they always come back with new growth.

Happy Gardening, Great Granny Vi

Here is the Star Jasmine Tree. Sorry the picture is out of focus. GG Vi