Growing Jasmine

1
Share
Pin
Save
Follow
Print

I read a similar post from a gal who had a Jasmine plant with small white star like blossoms and dark green waxy leaves. Her plant started to grow grapes. I read the information that the plant can grow grapes that turn dark purple for the birds to eat.

My plant now has two "grape like" fruits growing on it. One is the size of a small lime and the other one is the size of the largest olive you can buy, like a Greek stuffed olive. My fruit is still green. My plant is inside my house. What do I do with the fruit? It may end up being an eggplant at the rate it is growing.

By Dottie1111 from Naperville, IL

Answers

I have a Star Jasmine plant that has become a tree with pale yellow flowers. Not one white star like flower since it was transplanted? No clue why. And no fruit or even seed pods. The tree is in the foreground of this picture. GG Vi

Oh no, that looks like a privet tree. Nastiest, stinkiest, messiest tree on the face of this earth (in my opinion). It will produce abundant purple berries, smaller than usual grapes, that the birds will love to eat, then poop purple all over everything! My suggestion, cut it down, ASAP! The other challenge with privet, is the birds will eat the semi-fermented berries and fly around drunk and into doors, windows, walls, etc. I loved surrounded by privets for 10 years.

That's not a Star Jasmine VINE, which grows 20 feet or more. None of mine over 30 years has ever had seed pods. They can get them, but they would be tiny. The Star flowers are only about 1/2 inch in diameter.

Answer this Question

10 More Questions

I am new to CA and slowly trying to learn about all the different plants and gardening rules that differ from the northeast. I moved into my house last August and it had a beautiful Jasmine plant going up one of the columns. This spring it went into bloom and was gorgeous.

Now the problem, when the flowers were dead I deadheaded the plant. Within days I noticed that a lot of leaves had brown all over them. Is it possible that the milky white substances caused this on the leaves? It looks almost like they are burned. If this did cause the problem, how do I prevent this next time? If I cut all these dead leaves won't the same thing happen? Looking forward to any help you can give me.

By neuroticmom from Santa Clarita, CA

Answers

Welcome to CA. It is a great place for growing so many wonderful plants. I have had Star Jasmine for years. They take hard cutting back and they will grow masses of white blooms around May/June/July. We just had ours cut back last week. Here is a picture of the vines. I do have one strange one. I dug it up about 10-15 yrs ago and moved it to the "Path Garden" and it became a TREE,never had a single white flower since,but does have pale yellow flowers in a much different form in June/July. I don't know what caused it to change but it makes a nice addition to the garden. The browning happens once in awhile when the weather is to hot.But they always come back with new growth.
Happy Gardening, Great Granny Vi

Here is the Star Jasmine Tree. Sorry the picture is out of focus. GG Vi

Answer this Question

How do I care for a star jasmine and what method is best for propagation?

Answers

Cold will kill it, so be sure to bring it inside during the winter and keep it away from windows or drafts. It likes bright, but diffused sunlight. It likes it soil moist.

You can use rooting hormone to start a new plant, but dipping a cutting in it.

Answer this Question

We planted a jasmine plant here in the Philippines and a few weeks later I noticed that there were little fruits on the jasmine plant. They were green then a few weeks later they turned red. They are the same size as grapes. Can they be eaten?

By France F.

Answers

ALL parts, including fruit, of the Star Jasmine are poisonous! DO NOT eat! If you get the white sap on your skin, wash with soap and water. Don't get into your eyes!

Answer this Question

I have a night blooming Jasmine that I planted less than a year ago and it has grown very large. I do not know how to prune it back. Can anyone send some advice?

Heidi from Largo, FL

Answers

I have a confederate jasmine growing in front of my sir conditioner unit on a lattice fence. My husband got happy with the hedge clippers and cut all the branches of the plant back to the lattice and left ugly long scarred tips of plant. Will it bloom this year and what can I do to fix what hubby ruined? It is a big plant but there aren't many leaves left now. Looks really bad.

Answer this Question

I have a Jasmine plant that I have had for two years. Last summer it bloomed beautiful little white flowers that were waxy to the touch - almost felt artificial. I brought it in during the winter and it lost quite a few leaves on the lower half.

This summer it did very well out on the deck and it bloomed like before, however, the flowers fell off shortly after they bloomed. Then a few weeks later, I noticed some fruit looking things growing on the plant (there are 4 of them). They keep getting larger and larger and I have no idea what they are. They started out green and now they have changed to a deep purple - almost black.

Can you please tell me what they are?

Deb from Iowa

Answers

By Sharon (Guest Post)

this is what I found on the internet

Jasminum adenophyllum

A rare endemic in Meghalaya State (India). Spreading fast growing vine with glossy large 2-3" dark green leaves similar to leaves of Jasminum Rex. Flowers are large, 2-3" wide, with narrow curled petels and extremely fragrant. Flower shape resembles Michelia Alba flower. Black-blue berries size of a small grape appear after blooming which attract birds. This species is very hard to find.

the fruit appeared to look like grapes to me?
Is this what your looks like?
www.toptropical.net/.../cat.cgi

Answer this Question

We have a 12 year old star jasmine plant. It was recently trimmed and now it appears as all dead wood. If we cut it down to 1-2 feet will it grow back?

By Brenda B

Answer this Question

How do you grow a Peacock jasmine? It's in the house, but I didn't know if it likes full sun or what else I should know about it. No instructions came with it. Thank you.

By Holly from Lancaster, WI

Answer this Question

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this page.

This is one single jasmine bush/vine. It was rescued just ahead of the bulldozer that would have taken it down when it was about 2 feet tall. That was 3 years ago.

Comment Like this photo? 2

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.

Home and Garden Gardening PerennialsFebruary 5, 2013
👔
👒
🌻
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Growing-Jasmine.html