Removing Melted Spatula from Stove Top

My flat top stove had a spatula melted on the hot surface. How do I get it all off?

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

Best Answer

I laid a plastic grocery bag with 2 loaves of bread in it on the stove not knowing it was recently turned off. I went to get more groceries out of the car and came back to a very smokey kitchen and melted plastic all over the burner, the bread was also burnt. I had no idea how to clean it up. The next day I found this site and I am still amazed and relieved how easy it was to clean up with alcohol and a razor blade from my utility knife! I am also relieved I am not the first person that made that mistake! I felt pretty stupid!

My daughter just placed a plastic paper plate on a burner I had just turned off. We only had our flat top a week! We just about had a stroke. However, I waited for it to cool down completely....jumped online and found this article. (Thank god!) I opted for the alcohol. After it cooled down I dumped alot of rubbing alcohol on it, barely touched it with a straight edge knife, and it flaked up like it was nothing! Thank you for the suggestions! Worked like a charm!

Thank you guys so much! Not only does Alcohol work but, since I did not have any, I used some acne astringent that had 40% SD alcohol, & WORKED LIKE A CHARM. The melted plastic sort of crystallized and flaked right off.

Thank you! I managed to melt all the plastic off of a teapot. Alcohol, a razor blade, and baking soda made clean up less than an hour. BTW. If you have burning plastic on your stove top, baking soda will put it right out.

February 11, 2007 Flag

How do I get burnt plastic off a stove top?

Pat from NJ

Answers:

Removing Plastic from the Top of a Stove

Fingernail polish remover with Acetone. Acetone 'melts' plastic. (12/21/2006)

By SweetCali40

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 1 Comment

November 26, 2007 Flag

I have a melted plastic knob from a teapot on my white stove. Any idea how to remove the residue without ruining the surface of the stove?

MaryEllen from Wallingfor, CT

Answers:

Rubbing alcohol works well to remove melted plastic from an appliance or pot/pan. Dab some alcohol on the cooled plastic, let it sit a moment and then wipe off the residue. (02/11/2007)

By Teri

Try heating it with the high setting of a hair dryer then gently lifting with a thin, flat edge such as a razor blade used for getting paint off glass. (02/14/2007)

By

I read through the suggestions listed and went with what I had handy. A plastic rice cake bag melted on my cook top. While warm I got most up with a spatula, but was left with a thin film of plastic melted on my stove. Once cold, I sprayed it heavily with WD40, let it sit for about 30 seconds and lightly scrapped it with a one sided razor blade. The film came right off. I wiped down the stove with glass cleaner to remove the "oily" residue. I'm relieved - thanks to all who posted. (09/03/2007)

By Jeff - Cape Cod

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 20, 2006 Flag

My granddaughter left a bread wrapper on top of a stove and the plastic melted. How do you get it clean without hurting the stove top?

Answers:

Removing Plastic Bread Bag from Top of Stove

I would use a single-edged razorblade. Tilt it at a fairly sharp angle and gently scrape away the melted plastic bag. If you are careful, you will not damage the porcelain stove top. Razor blades are great tools for many chores around the house. I buy them by the box from Home Depot. (I guess the box holds about 200) (11/29/2005)

By Claudia- MD

I have had this happen numerous times, and I use Softscrub to remove it. (11/30/2005)

By dse77

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Stove Burner
Removing Melted Plastic from a Stove Burner
Home and Garden Cleaning KitchenNovember 26, 2007
Black smooth top cooking range.
Cleaning Spills on a Smooth Top Stove
Smooth Stove Top
Cleaning Stains on a Smooth Stove Top
Cooking bacon in microwave.
Cooking Bacon in the Microwave
Glass Top Stove
Removing Burnt Food Stains on a Glass Top Stove
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 16, 2017 at 10:52:48 AM on 10.0.2.254 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.