Make a Video of Your Parrot

I noticed that Perry, my budgie or parakeet, is very unsociable and likes to be left alone, so I have to find ways to interact with him that don't make him startle. I don't know why, but his little face reminds me of a monkey's face, all budgies look like little monkey faces to me - so adorable!

I decided to make him a video, the kind they use to teach kids to be potty trained and such. I took out my digital camera and made a video of him while I was talking to him. At the same time, some parakeets talking and whistling were in the background and I would copy that behavior on the video. There were parakeets whistling, then I would whistle or talk.

He seemed to like to watch the video and I have found he likes to watch the monitor when I am on the laptop. I had to recently move his cage due to the heat and I can tell he enjoys the sound of the keys clicking as I type. He is so adorable, even if he is the wildest and most ungrateful to have his claws trimmed bird I have ever seen. He is still a joy.

I am going to make a morning video, afternoon video, and evening video and play them for ten days to see if he likes this or not. Then I will do the non excitability training of putting my finger pointing at him and going towards him until he ruffles or moves in the slightest and then I will slowly take my pointing finger away from him and quietly walk away. This is training I do every so often so he will not die of a heart attack every time I try to refill or blow out his seed since Parakeets cannot dig under seeds to get at the new food under the old hulls of seeds.

If you don't have a digital camera, you can take a video on Facebook from your page that comes up when you click your name. Click on the video button and select "Take A Video" with the Webcam. You will have a bird video, tailor made to your bird. I think he is going to like this!

Besides the heat, one of the reasons I have moved the cage is so he will be forced to spend time with me and have things to look at. I am also considering getting a friend for him but am not sure if he will approve of it or not.

Birds are such a joy though!

By Robyn from Hampton, TN

Pets BirdsJuly 19, 2010
Homemade Parrot Food Recipes
Homemade Parrot Food Recipes
A parrot perched on a wooden dowel
Parrot Perch Ideas
Saving Money on Video Games
Saving Money on Video Games
Happy Couple Playing Video Game
Video Game Reviews
🎄
🍂