Choosing Container Plants for a North Facing Balcony

I would like to have ideas for what to plant in a large planter pot for our north facing balcony. We get very limited sun and live in zone 5B. I prefer non-flowering types, so grasses are OK. I will have only one large pot so plants must "work" together.

Hardiness Zone: 5b

By Rebecca from Indianapolis, IN

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

I would ask at your local green houses or garden centers.

The horticulture department of your local university can be a good source of info. I live in Western Canada and my "go to" book is the Sunset Western Garden Book. I have a helleborous that has done well in shade. It's a winter bloomer and I have seen it in planters. I have found that flowering plants recommended for shade do need some sun to flower well. eg pansies, astilbe, fuschia.

Container with Plants Attached to Fence
Container Gardening
Home and Garden Gardening ContainerMarch 9, 2011
Girl in a red coat giving to the Salvation Army.
North Dakota Christmas Charities
Flowers in pots on the patio being watered with a watering can.
Watering Container Plants
North Carolina Christmas Charities
Window Box Gardening
Window Box Gardening Tips
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 16, 2017 at 11:12:52 AM on 10.0.1.155 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.