Caring for an Elderly Old English Sheepdog

I am about to inherit my late mother's elderly (15 year old) Old English Sheepdog. Does anybody have any good advice?

Myrtle from Manchester, UK

I love OES, can't believe yours is 15 ! Wow !! Mom must have taken really good care of her.

Contact her vet and ask if she's due for any tests, vax, etc. Ask for a referral to a groomer (you'll want to keep her in a comfortable teddy bear clip)

Ask the vet if your OES should be on glucosamine-chrondroitin supplements for bones and joints.

You might experience a "funky" transition period the first week. Here is a good webpage to refer to:

Treasure the days you'll have this dog, Old English Sheepdogs are truly special.

I endorse your other comment response - 15 is a great age for a truly wonderful breed. I have just had to have my faithful companion of 14 and a half years put to sleep and it was heartbreaking. Tips - well, make sure she's warm and be patient, helping her if necessary. My old girl loved old slippers and would hang on to a tatty piece of slipper for months. Never miss an opportunity to cuddle her and understand, as they are fiercely loyal, she will be missing your mum as much as you are - but she can't talk about it. Enjoy this remarkable breed.

Years ago an OES was my graduation present from high school. If you don't already know, do not cut the hair around their eyes. Their eyes are very sensitive to light. Also, I always had mine sheared about at the end of spring. Mine always looked like a giant poodle with his hair off! Very loving and clumsy. Hope you enjoy your new pet!

An old english sheep dog sitting on its owners lap.
Caring for a Senior Dog
Pets Dogs AdviceFebruary 21, 2008
Ederly woman
Definition of Elderly
Elderly Woman Walking with Daughter
Activities for the Elderly and Disabled
Woman Cooking for an Elderly Person
Cooking for an Elderly Person
Dog with Elderly Man
Pets and the Elderly