How Do I Repair or Replace Frozen Water Pipes?

The blizzard that hit Missouri froze our pipes. We were told to just replace all the water lines. We don't know where to start.

By Patricia from Willow Springs, MO

First you call a plumber and get estimates. Several. We had all our dirty water pipes replaced last Nov. we had a leak that ran up our water bill something awful, these were the original pipes, we replaced them all $4,500,but we will never have to worry about a leak there again and years ago we had the clean water pipes replaced, every time you get a leak it cost money for them to find them $$$$ and that can add up depending on how many you have, and how often The pipes they use now are made of PVC and to last, and not the kind they used years ago. good luck.but only a plumber can help you

Linda in Texas

Does your home owner's insurance cover this loss? With such a big job sounds like you need a plumber. Make sure he has a license and is insured. Don't pay until the job is done. Good luck to you.

Freezing can cause hair line fractures in the pipes, which will leak sometime in the future. I think the answer lies in do you know how to do the work yourself, and do you have the time.

I would definitely replace all the pipes, as it will save you future headaches.

I forgot to mention. Once you have repaired the pipes cover all the pipes with the pipe insulation available at home depot or lowes. That will help prevent any breakage due to cold weather. If it gets really cold again, leave an incandescent work light on in the area where your pipes are located. The light bulb will generate enough heat to keep the pipes warm.

I left my water running last night and got up this morning, made coffee and did 2 loads of laundry now my pipes are frozen

A frozen outdoor water faucet.
Thawing Frozen Pipes
Home and Garden Repair Home PlumbingFebruary 16, 2011
Man Ready to Deal with Stinky Pipes
Remedies for Stinky Pipes
Removing rust stains from a sink.
Removing Rust Stains from a Sink
Frozen faucet.
Keeping Water Pipes from Freezing
Rust in Water Pipe
Removing Rust From Inside Water Pipes