Covering Scratches on Light Furniture

I've just purchased a second hand table. In transport it was scratched by accident. It's a clear varnished maple coloured table. The scratches are white and quite deep. Does anyone have any ideas how to cover them? Thanks.

By Dolly123 from UK

You can buy some kind of sticks in different colors that if you can find one in an identical color or close to it, you can use that to fill in the scratch. On dark furniture nothing beats the dark Old English polish.

Any store that sells paint and stain sells the touchup filler sticks and touchup stain markers right in the same area as the wood stains usually. I like to cut a sliver of the filler crayon off with a smooth polished putty knife and wipe it onto the scratch that way. Then hold the polished face of the putty knife blade firmly down on the damage and rub the filler into the scratch. Put some more filler into the scratch if you didn't get enough the first time. Then scrape off the smears with a sharp plastic spatula or the edge of a credit card. Then polish the area with a dry soft cloth to remove the remaining smears.

If the underside of the table is finished and has any scratches I would try my repairs there first until I liked my results. If there isn't a scratch, I might even make one where it doesn't show if I really like the table. You would hate to ruin the table by getting the wrong color that shows worse than the scratch. Not to scare you but a voice of experience. Maple is a white wood so that is normal that the scratches are white. If a leg would come off the table, take it to a good paint department for aid in choosing your stain or wax sticks. I would also apply a varnish over the complete tabletop when the repairs are done. I prefer Minwax polyurethene. Good luck.

I have really old unfinished wood floors all through my home. We can't afford to refinish them right now, but I got two great ideas that really work, from this site.

1- plain mineral oil cleaned the wood well and hid scratched.

2- Liquid Gold acted like a small miracle in our house. It made the wood warmer looking, shined, hid scratch mark. I won't be without it.

However, if you have a real antique work real money, I'd take it to a professional. It would be an investment. Good Luck!

Repairing Scratches on Wood Furniture
Repairing Scratches on Wood Furniture
Home and Garden Repair Furniture TablesMarch 1, 2010
Best Christmas Light Shows. House decorated in white Christmas lights
Best Christmas Light Shows
Old dinner plate.
Removing Scratches from Dishes
Formica countertop.
Repairing Scratches on Formica
🎄