Reducing Carpet Wear

I have new carpet in the bedrooms (3) of my home. Each bedroom is entered from a laminate floored hallway. The carpet is a good grade. It wasn't really expensive and it certainly wasn't cheap. It is a short looped shag.

I've noticed that walking on the carpet makes the shag lay down, but is easily corrected by vacuuming. I'm trying to avoid a worn path. Will it help to cover the most obvious wear at the doorway with a throw rug?

By Charlene from Concord, NC

Yes, a throw rug or trailer will help. It disperses the weight and area of affect of the person walking on the carpet.

Just be careful what kind of rug you use, the kinds with the rough back can abrade the rug underneath every time it is walked on. I would call the carpet store and see what kind they recommend.

A lot of what actually causes damage of the fibers of carpet is the dirt and dust that works its way down in to it so vacuuming often (at least once a week if not twice) and also a 'no wearing of shoes allowed in the house' policy makes a really 'huge' difference! Personally, I wouldn't bother placing a throw rug on the carpet because it's really not going to make a difference as far as the carpet pile flattening down. You can try it but when you lift the rug a week later you will see the carpet is flat underneath. Having a large throw rug on the linoleum in the hallway will also help control how much dirt gets on to the carpet too. ;-)

Please don't put a throw rug on top of your carpet. The backing on most throw rugs will cause a chemical reaction that will ruin your rug by discoloring it. I know this by running a carpet cleaning chemical mfg. company for six years.

Home and Garden Home Improvement CarpetSeptember 2, 2010
A package of cornmeal.
Dry Carpet Cleaner Recipes
Saving Money on Carpet, Installing Carpet
Saving Money on Carpet
shoe polish
Removing Shoe Polish from Carpet
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet, Upclose photo of carpet.
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet
🎄
🍂