Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Wash Clothes with Plunger

When I want to wash a separate article by hand or do not want to use the washer for a few black socks, etc., I use the "plumber's friend" or plunger. Just swish the plunger up and down like a washing machine. I find this is easy, fun, and my clothes come out clean.

By Angela39

Feedback Forum

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By sandra02/15/2011

I also learned recently that you can use this idea for a camping washing machine, just go to your local Home depot or other hardware store, get a 5 gallon bucket with a lid, cut a hole in top, insert the plunger, add clothes, water and detergent. How great is that? Have not tried it yet but on a long camping trip, I think it would be awesome.

By Anonymous [848]12/19/2010

And this one is from the 1900's.

RE: Wash Clothes with Plunger

By Anonymous [848]12/19/2010

Hi T&T Grandma :-) I have never seen or heard of a clothing plunger so looked up for photos of them. Here are two pictures from long, long ago (couldn't find any photos of current ones).

RE: Wash Clothes with Plunger

By Grandma J [46]12/18/2010

I don't want to be the wet blanket here but they sell the clothes plunger at the hardware store. Looks a bit like the toilet plunger but it is like a rounded square, more bubble under the 'hood' for action and there are a great number of 1/4 inch sized holes drilled around it to help with the simulated washing of a machine. First I remember them from is about the 50's. Grandma had a ringer washer and used this as a prewash!

Anyway, recently bought a new one, have it on the shelf in the laundry for those have to presoak/prewash, just like grandma did 60 years ago! Cute and blue.

By Betty [104]12/18/2010

Good idea; I think I'll buy a new one just for this purpose. I wash some things by hand and hate keeping my hands in the water.

By Anonymous [848]12/18/2010

Clever idea but I hope the plunger was sanitized first. ;-)

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to share feedback.