Freezing Cream Cheese

Can you freeze cream cheese?

Debbie from Richmond, KY

Yes, definitely. As the other posters have mentioned, it will be best used for cooking once you've frozen it. According to stilltasty, it will keep at least a couple of months frozen:

http://www.stilltasty.com/fooditems/index/17013

Our son and girlfriend freeze sometimes for use in a garden salad. It's quite good.

I've noticed a texture change after I've frozen and thawed cream cheese, but I still use it on my bagels. The flavor isn't affected by freezing.

I suppose one could slightly improve the texture by running the cream cheese through a food processor, but I'v never bothered.

And according to a savvy friend,three months is the "freezer life" of cream cheese.

No please don't. It really messes up the flavor and consistency. I have tried it many times and it doesn't work.

Well, I freeze Cream Cheese all the time. It's something I buy extra of when its on sale, and freeze it. No problems with it that we have noticed.

Thank you to everybody, you have been a big help!

Absolutely. First, remove it from the original wrapper and then use your handy vacuum sealer to seal it before putting it in the freezer. Let it thaw in the fridge for a few days before using it.

February 16, 2009 Flag

I'm going on vacation and I forgot to use up a brick of cream cheese. Can it be frozen?

Maryeileen from Brooklyn OH

Answers:

Freezing Cream Cheese

Yes you can. However, the texture is not the same when thawed and is best used in making cheesecake and the like I have found. (09/20/2007)

By Rheaad

Freezing Cream Cheese

Yes, you can totally freeze a brick of cream cheese. I do it all the time, it's not good for spreading afterward though, since it's crumbly like cottage cheese (it does not make it runny). I only use it in baking desserts, etc. (10/06/2007)

By Sue

Food and Recipes Freezing DairyFebruary 16, 2009
A piece of carrot cake on plate with cream cheese frosting
Cream Cheese Frosting Recipes
Freezing Whipped Cream. Making Whipped Cream
Freezing Whipped Cream
Cream Cheese Brownies
Cream Cheese Brownies
Ricotta cheese on fig leaves on white plate, with cheese knife.
Freezing Ricotta Cheese
🎉
🎄