Is Advantage Better Than Other Flea and Tick Products?

Is there a real difference between Advantage and the other flea and tick items ie., Adams Biospot, etc.? The people at the pet store and vet seem convinced, or is it marketing for brand name advertised items?

By Elen from Coconut Creek, FL

Fleas over time get adjusted and immune to certain chemicals, just like worms do. That may be why they recommend one product over another. We have had dogs for over 15 years, and first started with Happy Jack products, the had to move to prescription drops, and now use the prescription flea tablets. It costs between $7-$14 per dog per month, but it is the only thing that has effectively worked for us. I don't buy the 6 packs, I just go to the vets, and get one tab per dog per month (we have 8 dogs).

The stuff from the vet is better at controlling fleas, but you don't have to buy it from them. I buy a year at a time online for my dog and I buy K9 Advantix because it also repels mosquitoes and my dog really needs that on the gulf coast.

I like Advantage. I wouldn't use those cheap Hartz flea products, maybe not even Biospot. I've heard bad reactions can happen. Better go with your vet's advice. Some things that are important are worth the cost. You can save money in other areas, but I wouldn't do it with medicines.

Consumer Advice General AdviceAugust 14, 2010
Applying Topical Flea Medication on Cats
Applying Topical Flea Medication on Pets
Dog with a Flea Collar
Using a Flea Collar
dog with fleas
Bio Spot Flea and Tick Reviews
Buying Generic Capstar Flea Medication