Saving Money on Flea Prevention

Category Fleas
There are a variety of commercial flea prevention products on the market, but they can be quite pricey. This is a guide about saving money on flea prevention.

I've got several dogs and cats at home, and we live near fields with tall weeds. Therefore, summer time is a flea nightmare! I've bought the "cheaper" flea/tick remedies from the pet store, but they didn't work too well. Recently, I found my premium flea/tick products (Frontline, Advantix) on eBay.

They aren't sold in the individual packets, instead they are packed with a syringe and bottle. You pour the large dose of medication into the glass bottle, measure it into the syringe (no needle, of course) and apply it to your pet based on weight. It is exactly the same as having the vet apply it, but much cheaper!

I bought a one year supply of Frontline for my Sheltie, and spent less than $30! That is even cheaper than the brands that don't really work. All you have to do to save money in this case is measure it yourself. In my opinion, it is definitely worth it. Make sure you double check the seller's description, EPA approved Frontline doesn't have an expiration date. Good sellers will display this info, and feel free to ask questions.

By Stacey from Dorr, MI

Prevention and maintenance are the keys to saving money in many areas. For example: I failed to use the between-the-shoulder-blades flea preventative on my dog this summer (costs about $15 per treatment). As a result, I had to deal with a nasty flea infestation.

I had to rent a carpet cleaner ($25), take the dog to the groomer ($45. I tried home "flea baths" - it didn't work after 3 tries) and buy a "flea bomb" for the house ($10)

By Leann D

This remedy works well in my home. I frequently use it just for prevention of fleas.

Total Time: over night + bathing time

Yield: 1 gallon

• apple cider vinegar
  • water
  • fresh rosemary
  • 1 gallon milk jug
  • Saran Wrap
  • Dawn dish washing liquid (original blue)
  • a small to medium pot

1. In one gallon jug add apple cider vinegar and water 1/1 parts about half way in the gallon jug.
  2. Steep the rosemary with boiling water covering it with the Saran Wrap (like a tea).
  3. Let mixtures set over night.
  4. The next morning pour the steeped rosemary tea in the gallon jug with the apple cider vinegar mixture and finish the gallon off with tap water.
  5. Bathe animals with Dawn dish washing liquid and let it set for a while. Rinse animal completely with warm water; remember the animal's temperature is a little higher than ours, so a little warmer than room temp won't hurt.
  6. After being completely rinsed off let them drip dry and shake a few minutes. Then pour the mixture on the animal. You want to rub it through the coat and into the skin, then let them go! Let them air dry.
  7. Ad

The apple cider vinegar is said to make the skin acidic and less attractive to the fleas and fleas are also repelled by the rosemary. This has been very successful in my home. My little dog rubs and wallows on everything trying to get the smell of the rosemary off. You can also place the mixture in a spray bottle to spray bedding, furniture, closets, and under beds!

Frontline Spray is cheaper then buying the individual shoulder application drops. I pay $24 for a bottle and it lasts all summer for my 4 dogs. Here is where I go to shop online for it:

By Robyn Fed from Hampton, TN

I'm tired of spending tons of money on those flea killers that come in droppers and you use one a month. They don't work and they are very expensive. Does anyone have any idea how to get rid of fleas without spending tons of money?

Thanks!
Soly from Miami, Florida

Answers

I know they're expensive, but I've found that only Frontline or Advantage works for us. I have a dog who's allergic to fleas. One bite and we'll end up at the vet's office and about $150 poorer. The cheaper types of monthly treatment, simply don't work and flea collars are treated with pesticides. Not a good thing to place around your pet's neck!

fleas are only one stage of the pest. You must eliminate tape worms in order to get rid of the fleas. Any really effective tape wormer must come from the vet. (Regular wormers will not get tape worms)

I agree with the poster about the Frontline being most effective. the other brands available at discount store just don't do the trick..its like throwing your money out in the yard with the fleas! spend the extra on the better product and you will be pleased. Also treat your yard and keep them under control..so they don't become a problem again.

Put a couple of drops of Dawn dish detergent in the bath water but be sure to rinse well. It should kill the fleas.

I've heard that feeding your dog some garlic will repell fleas as they can't stand it. The smell comes out of their skin. But I've also heard to never give garlic to cats because it's actually bad for them.

I used Frontline on my six cats; try to get the discount product from your Humane Society. Nobody has mentioned eucalyptus in the dog bed (cedar shavings?) and around the baseboards. I heard they will jump into a pan of water set on the floor. Flea combs, though effective, are not 100%, especialy for a dog. Grooming is important! A healthy skin will repel fleas on your pet, but then the hungry fleas will go after YOU. What about Avon's skin so soft which is supposed to repel mosquitoes--would it work for fleas? I heard of feeding pets yeast - it might repel the fleas, but again, they'd go after YOU. I don't use Frontline year-round, just in the 3-month height of the season, whenever that might be. Frontline also prevents ticks (Lyme disease) which is important for your health, as ticks can jump from pet to human. That's why I use frontline.

I have posted this many times to various groups. Use approx. 1 tsp. white vinegar to one quart water. Use it in their drinking bowl. I received this tip on line (maybe someday the source wiil identify herself so I can thank her). I don't know why, but it works from the inside out. We have had both dogs and cats. The dogs don't even notice it. The cats don't much care fr it...but the important thing is that IT WORKS!!!

Laine

I use Bio-Spot during the winter months (from Petsmart) and then during the warm months I use Flea, Tick, and Mange dip. You need to buy a gallon sprayer and use it only for the flea dip and nothing else. It works very well and has saved me lots of money. The Bio-Spot works as well as Frontline but costs one-third the price.

I use frontline plus , works great. yes its is expensive at first, but after you get the flees under control well all gone you only have to use it once every three months. i sometimes let my dog go in the winter and dont even use it untill spring. i pay 30 bucks for a threeapplicator pack and that will last at least nine months to a year.

Frontline Plus - hands down! I have 2 rescue Pomeranians, and haven't seen fleas in months (both were infested and miserable when they came to us). I brush my dogs weekly, and will occasionally find a dead tick - they love the woods on walks, and we're in Connecticut. The money spent is worth the freedom from all the annoyance and irritation fleas cause.

Put one tablet of Brewer's Yeast in their food daily. You might have to get the fleas under control first, I don't know. But I give my dog one tablet in his food everyday (I get them at Walmart, Sprong Valley brand) and it keeps the fleas away.

VACUUM and vacuum often, including your pets' beds. I also use Frontline Plus for three months, then Advantage for three months and nothing during the winter as it usually stays frozen here for quite a while. I believe the Frontline works best; neither seems to last longer than 3 weeks, but it's still better than a flea-infested pet and the problems that causes for your pets and yourself.

I have tried everything natural, all the tips and none work. You must spend money on flea prevention, or your pets will suffer, that's all there is to it.

I use dawn detergent. I put some around the neck first. Then lather them up and I play with them while they are in tub for 5 minutes or longer. I have 3 dogs and two cats. I also spread peppermint and spearmint in my yard. I do not have a flea/tick problem. I live in KY.

Can I use diluted Hartz flea and tick shampoo and spray it on my dog? Where I give her a bath is too cold and I'm afraid she will catch a cold.

By Sherry from Fort Pierce, FL

Answers

Anonymous

Personally I wouldn't do that because of the chemicals in the shampoo that will remain on her instead of being rinsed off. Can't you get her in to your bathtub/shower to give her a bath and then towel dry her well and let her stay inside until she's dry?

Hello,
No, I would not use that mixture. As Deeli said, it will leave a residue on your dog. It will be sticky and also not good for her unless it is rinsed off.

Is there any natural way to get rid of fleas on pets? Does garlic work?

By BigJohn from TN

Answers

I like to do research at earthclinic.com and look under the pets tab and put in fleas, or click on the fleas tab.
There are lots of good ideas.
Blessings,

Robyn

Anonymous

Vinegar in the water bowl year round and for extra in the summer a table spoon of garlic mixed in food daily and bandanas soaked in citronella have a old counrty vet who doesnt think the drigs are good for puppies or dogs I thought he was crazy but itworks also keeping your hrass ut as low as the blade will help and spray yard with one of those bottles that hook up to your water hose make sure grass is very short the point of keeping it short is the sun can get to the ground better to help kill fleas and what you spray will get down farther make sure what you buy will kill fleas start with small parts vinger so they will drink it then work your way up to a tea spoon every 20 oz depending upon the bowl size dog or dogs some ppl also use garlic pills

How can I get rid of cat fleas, naturally?

By Dawn from Bellingham, WA

Answers:

Natural Flea Prevention

Not on your pet (unless you use a flea comb daily and bathe once a week). In your carpet, you can use borax. Also, don't use an "herbal" flea remedy on your pet, these drive the pet crazy because of the strong odors! And flea collars only kill fleas on the animals head and shoulders.

* With a flea comb, you have to have a bowl of warm water with a drop of dish soap in it (to break the surface tension) sitting next to you. You dip the flea comb into the water after every brush-stroke to drown the fleas. (04/26/2010)

By Cyinda

Natural Flea Prevention

Get medicine or brush him and bathe him every other day. (04/27/2010)

By heidisunshine

Natural Flea Prevention

Plant lavender in the yard. (05/28/2010)

By Flintmoonwitch

I am looking for a natural remedy to kill fleas.

By Carol from Aragon, GA

Answers:

Natural Flea Prevention

The only natural flea prevention I have heard of is salt. Sprinkle salt on carpeting and you must leave for a few days and then vacuum. You may have to do his a few times. The longer you leave the salt, the better it works. I'd imagine you could use baking soda. (03/25/2010)

By twinkies

Natural Flea Prevention

For on the animal, or to treat the home? Either way, you could use food grade DE powder (diatomaceous earth). Do NOT use the stuff made for swimming pool filters, as that has other additives in it that aren't good.

The DE powder dries out the fleas, and that is what kills them. (03/25/2010)

By KandS2

Natural Flea Prevention

You can use a combination of brewers yeast and garlic. This is available in tablets. Most dogs love them. (03/26/2010)

By LADHOPKINS

Natural Flea Prevention
I was wondering does any one know of a fleas protection that works and doesn't use harmful ingredients? We have a Chihuahua and he is miserable this year with fleas, we have used all we can. I have sprinkled Borax on the carpets and furniture, sweep all the time.

Our Cheeto is scratching all the time. He even has sores where he scratches. Please does any one know of a natural way to control fleas?

Thanks and May God Bless.

Tamara from TX

Answers:

Natural Flea Prevention

I have 2 Chihuahuas and I have used Avon Skin So Soft. Just put a little in your hands and gently rub all over the dogs. It is safe for them. I also a mixture of vinegar and water, this works good, too. Use 1/4 vinegar and 3/4 water mixture in a small spray bottle. They won't like it, but will get used to it; when it's time to go out and potty just give them a lil squirt. It won't smell too good, but the smells wears off fairly quickly. Hope this helps. (09/05/2007)

By Jean

Natural Flea Prevention

I have posted this for many times on various sites:

1 tsp. white vinegar to 1 qt. water into drinking water. Once you start this, you have to keep it up, but it works. I don't know who posted this originally (so I can't give her the credit she so richly deserves), but it works. In our house, it doesn't bother our one remaining dog at all. Our other dogs never minded it. Our cats don't like it, but they have no choice.

No fleas in our house for the past 3-4 years. Try it. I think you'll like it, and it's cheap and good for the environment.

(09/05/2007)

By Laine

Natural Flea Prevention

I understand you can use used coffee grounds sprinkled through out the yardt. I is very helpful. (09/05/2007)

By Julia

Natural Flea Prevention

Try adding brewers yeast to their food. Apparently after a short time of doing this, they begin to smell bad to fleas and they won't go on them. My cat always loved it and it works very well, but again it is something that must be done daily all through flea season. (09/05/2007)

By thriftmeg

Natural Flea Prevention

If your dog has sores on his body, please take him to the vet. His constant scratching could lead to infections. (09/05/2007)

By S Singer

Natural Flea Prevention

Put a couple of drops of Dawn dish soap into a large spray bottle of water. Spray this everywhere, just not where someone could slip and hurt themselves, including using it to wash dear little Cheeto. It won't hurt him. Dawn is the stuff used to rescue animals from oil slicks. If your sprayer has a pinpoint or needle spray, spray it along your baseboards. Mop your non wood floors with it. It kills fleas. Exterminators use it, too.
Of course also avoid spraying fabrics, electrical stuff, etc. (09/06/2007)

By Linne

REF: Fleas

I also have a Chihuahua and a cat. They have not had fleas in three years. I use this stuff that the mailman gave me. Now he orders it for me. He has six dogs. There is a small and large bottle, it's called Cooper's Flea and Tick Mist. I guess you would have to ask your vet to order it for you. Here's a phone # 816 413-1444 (09/06/2007)

By phyllissanjua

Natural Flea Prevention

I want to thank you all for the replies to my question.
I will try them.
Cheeto's sores are better, the vet told us to put Neosporin on them, and they are almost gone, thank you for your concern.
God Bless all.
(09/06/2007)

By tamsy

Natural Flea Prevention

I've been there and done that. There really is no way to control fleas "naturally". You really have to treat the house, the dog, and the yard all on the same day. It's harsh, but it works.

If you want to you could change the dogs diet to a more natural one. It shouldn't be that difficult since it seems like you only have one. I have 4 large dogs and have lived in Mobile, AL. You can imagine the flea infestations in the summer, but they were never affected. I feed them home cooked foods, like boiled chicken, bones removed, with rice and the broth from the boiled chicken. It's the harsh chemicals in the dog food expensive or cheap that attract fleas.
If you are open minded go to some of the natural or raw diet web sites just Google raw diet for dogs or natural diet for dogs.

Unfortunately he sounds like he's allergic to flea bites, but trust me there is nothing natural to kill flea infestation in your house or grass. If you can have it done professionally or set of bombs in your house and leave for a 12 hour period and come back and air out the house. But the pro's should only charge $50 - 100.00 to do your yard and house, then take the dog to the vet for a good dip. Please don't let your dog suffer any longer. (09/06/2007)

By Rose

Natural Flea Prevention

I live in TX also, and have for 11 years and never had a problem with my four dogs until this summer. It was a nightmare. We had to treat the yard, the dogs, the house, and now they are on Advantix from the vet. It's worth every penny. They make it for very small dogs too. This is Texas. The other stuff just doesn't work. (09/09/2007)

By suzi_homemaker01