Potluck Tips and Tricks

Category Helpful Hints
Sharing great food with others is fun and delicious. This guide contains potluck tips and tricks.

We recently attending our Mother's Day church cookout, where the men of the church put together a meal for the women. They cooked catfish, hamburgers, hot dogs, tons of cakes and confections.

Usually, everyone brings something to the dinner. People often pick up cookies or cokes or something processed. I think blueberries are a great food to bring because they have so many vitamins and antioxidants in them. So I will be bringing blueberries, strawberries, and other wonderful real food to all the meals I attend. I also bring them to my mother who is in a rehabilitation facility. She loves them.

Everyone have a great spring and summer!

I always bring fruit.

Fruit is an expensive gift to bring. Cakes and cookies are cheaper. However, fruit is healthy, and if you eat a healthy diet, it is cheaper in the long run.

When taking a dish to a party or potluck dinner, write the recipe for the dish on several cards. Put one in front of the dish, so guests will know what's inside and give the others to those who want the recipe.

By fossil1955 from Cortez, CO

Great idea. I am allergic to mushrooms, even though I love them. A lot of casserole recipes use cream of mushroom soup and I am always asking if the dishes have it in them, having to ask who cooked them and having to find that person to see if I can eat it. Thanks again for this tip.

Everyone is either on a strict diet or allergic to various edibles these days! If you're having a buffet meal, indoors or out, you can avoid answering the question,"Can you tell me what's in this?" over and over again. Year round, save those plastic pick things that a florist puts into a bouquet of flowers (to hold a card) and get them out at party time.

Print on an index or fancier card what the sandwiches are filled with, or just identify a casserole as "Mom's Potato Salad" and prop these identifying cards into the proper offerings!

Super idea, thanks for sharing !!!!

Tips for throwing a successful potluck. Post your ideas.

If you're planning on having a potluck at your home, you might want to have some extra empty food containers on hand, in case anyone wants to take home some of someone else's foods. This way they're not taking your bowls and having to bother returning them. Such as empty cool whip bowl, cottage cheese or sour cream containers. All they'll have to do is toss them away, once they're finished with the food.

By Terri H.

Hi,

I save all the containers from cottage cheese, sour cream, cool-whip etc all year long for our family's big Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners. There's usually about 20 of us, and all the ladies bring food to be exchanged while we're doing the clean-up.

While the food is still sitting out, we fill containers, and stow them in boxes or coolers to be taken home. It's a really neat way for the good dinner to be extended into the following day or two. I keep plenty of stickers for labeling...not only the food, but who made it. It keeps us together for a little while longer, and is such a good way to give a little extra of ourselves at special times.

All the best to everyone,

Julia in Orlando, FL