Potluck Tips

Sharing great food with others is fun and delicious. This guide contains potluck tips.

March 10, 2011 Flag

When taking a dish to a party or potluck dinner, write the recipe for the dish on several cards. Put one in front of the dish, so guests will know what's inside and give the others to those who want the recipe.

By fossil1955 from Cortez, CO

Great idea. I am allergic to mushrooms, even though I love them. A lot of casserole recipes use cream of mushroom soup and I am always asking if the dishes have it in them, having to ask who cooked them and having to find that person to see if I can eat it. Thanks again for this tip.

April 6, 2007 Flag

Everyone is either on a strict diet or allergic to various edibles these days! If you're having a buffet meal, indoors or out, you can avoid answering the question,"Can you tell me what's in this?" over and over again. Year round, save those plastic pick things that a florist puts into a bouquet of flowers (to hold a card) and get them out at party time.

Print on an index or fancier card what the sandwiches are filled with, or just identify a casserole as "Mom's Potato Salad" and prop these identifying cards into the proper offerings!

I think this is a great idea! Thanks for it...will be using it at picnics and buffets at other functions.

Will let my sis in law know about this so they can use it at church potlucks!

Super idea, thanks for sharing !!!!

I was just telling my husband a few weeks ago, that I needed to find a way to make a flag or something to stick into my food dishes at potluck dinners. This would do the trick. Thanks for sharing!!

February 19, 2005 Flag

Tips for throwing a successful potluck. Post your ideas.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you're planning on having a potluck at your home, you might want to have some extra empty food containers on hand, in case anyone wants to take home some of someone else's foods. This way they're not taking your bowls and having to bother returning them. Such as empty cool whip bowl, cottage cheese or sour cream containers. All they'll have to do is toss them away, once they're finished with the food.

By Terri H.

I save all the containers from cottage cheese, sour cream, cool-whip etc all year long for our family's big Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners. There's usually about 20 of us, and all the ladies bring food to be exchanged while we're doing the clean-up.

While the food is still sitting out, we fill containers, and stow them in boxes or coolers to be taken home. It's a really neat way for the good dinner to be extended into the following day or two. I keep plenty of stickers for labeling...not only the food, but who made it. It keeps us together for a little while longer, and is such a good way to give a little extra of ourselves at special times.

All the best to everyone,

Julia in Orlando, FL

December 20, 2004 Flag

Whenever you go to a potluck type party, label your dish with a return address label. Don't forget to label your utensil (i.e. spatula, serving spoon), too. By Linda

Food and Recipes Food Tips Helpful HintsApril 18, 2013
Sheet Cake
Sheet Cake Recipes
Casserole Dish in Wicker Carrier
Making a Casserole Carrier
Potluck Dinner Casserole
Potluck Dinner Recipes
Mac and Cheese
Recipe Ideas That are Easy to Transport