Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Infestation Of Tiny Ants

How do you get rid of those tiny ants once they are in your house? Is there a home based solution, other than an insecticide? We have found some in the kitchen, have sprayed and put out ant traps, but they are still around.

By John from Chicago, IL

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By susan [33]08/14/2010

You may want to have your home checked for termites. I say this because I had the same problem and found out I had termites that I didn't see. After treatment for termites I've yet to see any ants around my house now. Good luck. :)

By Wendy08/13/2010

Borax powder on the carpets, door jams, under appliances, etc. They take the borax granules back to the next and it kills the nest. Hope that helps.

Here are questions related to Infestation Of Tiny Ants.

Question: Getting Rid of Tiny Ants

How do I get rid of the tiny ants?

By Judy from Wichita, KS

Most Recent Answer

By Donna08/13/2011

See my reply dated 8/13/11 to a similar question dated 8/12:

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf76333389.tip.html

Hope it helps you too!
DeDe

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Infestation Of Tiny Ants

I am losing a battle with small ants in my kitchen on my counter tops, sometimes in my bathroom since this started. I have used a can of Raid without success of eliminating them. My house is clean-I swear!

Archive: Infestation Of Tiny Ants

I have a client that has tiny little ants in their bathroom and hallway, and now starting to go into the living room. You can barely see these ants. What kind of ants are these and how can we eliminate them? Thank you for any and all advice.

By jmz2005 from IL

RE: Infestation Of Tiny Ants

If they are tiny black ants, they are locally called "sugar ants", but the correct name is pavement ants. They are after anything starchy that can be used for food, and even hang around sinks. There are several tips on this site, and can be found by searching on Google or another search engine. (05/05/2009)

By fatboyslimsmom

RE: Infestation Of Tiny Ants

The type you describe is probably "Argentine", they are a big pain where I live in California. They came from South America, but were accidentally introduced to the USA (plus many other areas) where they've thrived. The colony/nest often spans entire city blocks underground, and out here they're also all related so there's no inter-colony warfare to reduce numbers like elsewhere. They usually start sending "scouts" into houses in search of food (or water, if it's a dry climate) from late spring through fall, and invade (often with a double-size queen) if they find anything attractive. They're not poisonous as far as I recall, rarely bite, taste extremely hot to most animals, and (weirdly) are the cobweb/daddy-long leg spider's favorite food.

As far as getting rid of them is concerned, I've tried every darn trick I read about, because I don't dare use anything that might trigger my (severe) asthma or hurt my cats. As far as I know, almost nothing works, they're super-hardy little buggers. I finally found a brand with safe ingredients called "Poison-Free Ant Killer" that works really well. I spray any trails I find back to their entry points, they die instantly and those spots seem to stay ant-free for another year or two. Their website seems to be Saferbrand.com There's a useful FAQ about what's in there, if the person you know is curious. Hope this was useful. (05/06/2009)

By Xyzzy

RE: Infestation Of Tiny Ants

When you say so tiny they are hard to see, that rules out both Argentine and pavement ants. Argentine will travel in thick lines usually and pavement ants hardly ever come inside. Sugar ants however are a different story. Most people call all kinds of ants sugar ants. Pharaoh and Thief ants are the two ant species that are super small. They both can be very difficult to get rid of without help. I know this site is for home remedies, but you may need a bug guy. For more info check out pestcemetery.com (08/12/2009)

By Dutch 1962

RE: Infestation Of Tiny Ants

Archive: Infestation Of Tiny Ants

How do I get rid of tiny red ants? My home is sprayed every three months inside and out for any insects. I have not seen any other insects, except for tiny red ants. They are everywhere, throughout the kitchen and in unopened packages of food. They are in every room of the house. They are around the plumbing, the sinks, even on the beds, and around my computer.

I had to replace my 9 month old printer because they made a nest inside it. They are the size of the very tip of a ball point pen and they do not bite. Only when a few gather together or make a trail can you even notice them. I live in south Texas just outside of Corpus Christi. Please help me get rid of these ants.

By A Galloway from Mathis, TX just north of Corpus Christi, TX

RE: Infestation Of Tiny Ants

Spray with insect spray. Maybe you don't need to pay someone to spray in and out of your house. Put the unopened stuff in freezer, good luck. (12/27/2009)

By kffrmw88

RE: Infestation Of Tiny Ants

Karo syrup and about 10% 20 Mule eam Borax, warm and shake to dissolve. Dribble in areas that pets and wildlife cannot get to. In cracks, between boards, back of cupboards, etc. Workers will eat and carry back to nest. Queens have to be destroyed. They live up to 20 years, all the while producing other queens. Let the workers eat and carry back to nest. It can take a week, sometimes a little more for multiple colonies. Works on most ant colonies. Also, it is safe. (12/28/2009)

By muttmom

RE: Infestation Of Tiny Ants

Go to a home improvement store like Home Depot and ask them to show you the ant motels. They are put out by the same company that puts out the roach motels. They are little traps that you place around where you see them and they will be gone in a couple of days. I think Raid makes them. They work like a charm. (12/29/2009)

By eveh

RE: Infestation Of Tiny Ants

Sprinkle Sweet n Low and Nutra Sweet around. Ants carry it back to their nest. It's cheap and won't hurt to try. (07/25/2010)

By md1555