Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

How Do I Make Seashells Shiny?

My sea shells were beautiful till they dried, now they are dull. Is there anything to spray or do? Thanks.

By Sandie

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Pat Phillips [2]01/19/2011

Acrylic sealer in a spray will work. Make certain the shells are clean, and use several light coats of the spray allowing time to dry in between coats. And, of course, use a gloss finish spray.

By Jane Rader [3]01/19/2011

I have a book on Shells. It says to mix 1/2 lighter fluid and 1/2 baby oil. Polish the shells with the mixture and polish with a soft dry cloth. This protects the color. some shells are not shiney but this will preserve the color. Plastic sprays and finger nail polish will turn yello or brown after a time.

By Natalie [1]01/19/2011

If you're just displaying them, not using them in a craft, try a little glycerin. Put a dab on your fingers and rub it all over the shells. Be sure they aren't left sitting on untreated wood.

By Mary [71]01/19/2011

You can also use clear nail polish. Works just like varnish. I use it on all my small projects. Use the attached brush but a small paintbrush works better.

By Lilac [18]01/19/2011

I tinted pastel colors in clear nail polish and painted them. They were beautiful.

By Marlene [18]01/18/2011

Spray them with clear acrylic sealer. You can buy a can in any craft store or hardware store.

By Ann Winberg [282]01/16/2011

I too was dissapointed when mine dried out. I also was told to run them through the dishwasher to get all the germs and all off of them so I did. Don't do that, it also took some of the color out of the and weakened them.
I use my spray varnish, any brand would work whether it is satin or glass depending on the finish you want.