How Do I Make Seashells Shiny?

My sea shells were beautiful till they dried, now they are dull. Is there anything to spray or do? Thanks.

By Sandie

I too was dissapointed when mine dried out. I also was told to run them through the dishwasher to get all the germs and all off of them so I did. Don't do that, it also took some of the color out of the and weakened them.

I use my spray varnish, any brand would work whether it is satin or glass depending on the finish you want.

yeah that works!!

Spray them with clear acrylic sealer. You can buy a can in any craft store or hardware store.

I tinted pastel colors in clear nail polish and painted them. They were beautiful.

You can also use clear nail polish. Works just like varnish. I use it on all my small projects. Use the attached brush but a small paintbrush works better.

love nail polish remover it works on hermit crab shells too i have 4 hermit crabs and it really helps!!

If you're just displaying them, not using them in a craft, try a little glycerin. Put a dab on your fingers and rub it all over the shells. Be sure they aren't left sitting on untreated wood.

I have a book on Shells. It says to mix 1/2 lighter fluid and 1/2 baby oil. Polish the shells with the mixture and polish with a soft dry cloth. This protects the color. some shells are not shiney but this will preserve the color. Plastic sprays and finger nail polish will turn yello or brown after a time.

Acrylic sealer in a spray will work. Make certain the shells are clean, and use several light coats of the spray allowing time to dry in between coats. And, of course, use a gloss finish spray.