Cleaning a Dooney and Bourke Purse

Category Miscellaneous
These popular purses can look great again with proper cleaning. This page is about cleaning a Dooney and Bourke purse.

Does anyone know how I can get rid of these yellow and brown stains on my white purse? It's depressing.

Answers

Best Answer

A bar of soap and a soft toothbrush can do the tick on this one. Just wet the soap and use the toothbrush to get some soap on it. Now rub the soap on the spots. Use a clean rag with some water on it to wash the soap away.

Best Answer

Contact dooney.com for care cleaning and preserving!

How do I remove ink from the outside of my Dooney and Bourke heart purse?

By RC from KY

Answers

Ink usually comes off with alcohol, try a few wipes at it then blot, don't drench the purse though. Alcohol evaporates very quickly, so small amounts with blotting may be repeated until the stain is gone.

Don't freak out if it bleeds at first, you may think you're making the stain worse, but you're just breaking down the ink, and that's the reason you want to blot it thoroughly.

Hair spray! Removes ink from your purse!

Which type of purses? Leather, canvas, cabriolet, coated cotton? Linings? How to do it? Thanks.

I have a Dooney and Bourke bubblegum colored "IT" bag. The pink leather has started to appear faded, almost whitish and there are a few spots like that on the purse? Does anyone know why this happens or how to clean it? Thanks!

Isabel from TX

Answers

By (Guest Post)

I believe Dooney & Bourke has a lifetime guarantee on their bags. You should contact the retailer you purchased it from and ask them about it.

Hi, You can use a leather colorant kit to restore the color, take a look at some of the photos here of before and afters.
www.furnitureclinic.co.uk/Leather_Handbag_Photos.htm

By fran (Guest Post)

I also have a black tassel tote dooney and bourke and the black coated leather also has some fading spots that are greyish in coloring. can someone tell me if they have actually used a leather colorant kit on this kind of fading or some advice.

By Terri. (Guest Post)

I have a white barrel purse and i have had it for about 5 or 6 years and it is almost completely yellow with brownish all over it. I no longer have a receipt to get it replaced so how would I go about getting it fixed? Please help.

I have a black Dooney IT bag, it has faded to an ugly grey. I sent them a e mail. They responded and asked me to send the bag for them to inspect and if they can't repair it they will give me half the current retail price on the item to apply towards a new item of equal or greater value.

When you spend a lot on a bag you expect it to last a while! They should stop making the IT and other coated cotton bags if they are just going to be garbage in a few years.

The phenomena described here is not a problem with staining or the leather on the handbags. The D&B "IT" bags and others that have the leather trim and the graphic prints actually consist of cotton that is coated, very much like a rain coat.

Dooney & Bourke needs to improve the surface treatment because this is an extremely common problem on their coated cotton bags and no doubt the reason why a lot of people deride D&B as "cheap" compared to Coach or Louis Vuitton. (LV monogram bags consist mostly, also, of canvas but with bulletproof durability and a much heftier price tag to match.)

As far as I know there is no repair Dooney & Bourke can make other than offering a credit (which also echos my own experience when I approached them a couple years ago about the same problem). It's not clear why some of these bags have no problem whatsoever for 5 years or more and others start fading even when they are left mostly untouched in a dark closet. Heat and sunlight only accelerate the problem.

It is my impression as someone who once worked in a repair shop that there is an underlying defect or impurity in sealing the cotton such that the coating does not remain at the surface of the canvas as it should. All the handbags start off looking the same but within a year or two, regardless of whether they are used and even if you never apply any type of cleaning product to the canvas, the fading sets in.

From what I can tell, it's not that the color is wearing off from normal use but that it is being absorbed into the grain of the fabric. The result is the appearance of dull gray clouds or generalized fading, a problem which is most apparent on the black and brown graphical bags.

At the first sign of problem, it may slow the progression to condition the canvas surface with a leather conditioner or to to rub in some colorless shoe wax/polish (something I will be trying out on my own bag, actually). The bottom line here is that if you're going to salvage the bag you'll have to be willing to experiment (just be sure that none of the treatments you apply to the canvas touch the colorless "naked leather" trim unless you wish for it to darken down considerably).

Should anyone find a solution that prevents the problem in the first place, please post and let the rest of us know.

Nope. Doesn't do you any good. I had mine 2 years. It was stored in a special bag tje majority of the time and it yellowed anyways. Macys wouldn't do anything and neither would d&b. Never again!

I found one at thrift store and peeled the coating off now it's a gorgeous bag.
It looked Gray before but was actually a beautiful dark blue

How did you peel the coating off?

How do I clean small stains on the interior of my D&B Dillen hobo bag?

I got a Dooney and Burke purse at a yard sale. It's pretty dirty with surface dirt. Does anyone know how to clean it?

Answers

You can't clean it sorry

I have taken my Dooney and Bourke out of the dust bag. The straps have white film on them. What causes this?

By Rosemary C.

Answers

That almost sounds like a mildew growing on it. If so, moisture and lack of air circulation cause it.

I had that. Dampen a Magic Eraser and go over the straps.

I was given a Dooney and Burke by my mom. She said I could have it and clean it up. So I cleaned it with Gain, a toothbrush, and water. It cleaned well, but the problem is I got the leather trademark on it wet and it looks bad! It bled on the fabric and it has water marks on the leather.
Did I ruin it? Or is there any way to fix this at all?

By Angela

How do I clean my white fabric Dooney hand bag? I put it through the gentle cycle in the washer and hung it to dry and it is still not clean!

By npk

Answers

Dissolve a quarter cup of Cascade dish detergent in some hot water in your washer; use the lowest water level you can. Let it cool and put the bag in, agitate it to be sure it's completely saturated and let it soak for about 15 minutes. Rinse well and let it dry.

This took baby formula with iron out of some hand me down undershirts and bibs. I even got mildew off a canvas bag by making a paste, scrubbing it with a toothbrush and then washing it as above, but your bag might not like the scrubbing part.

I contacted the the company and they told me how to clean mine. Just look them up on the internet and send them an email.

Carol

I have a Dooney and Bourke purse in crimson red, something spilled on it. I tried to clean the purse and now it's faded. How do I match this color? It's a dark red.

By Irene

Answers

Anonymous

I BOUGHT A D&B LEATHER PURSE THAT IS STILL IN GOOD SHAPE BUT AROUND THE ZIPPER IT IS FADED ALMOST LIKE IT WAS LEFT IN THE SUN,I PAID OVER 100 DOLLARS FOR A 2ND HAND PURSE,BUT I DIDNT SEE THE FADE WHEN BOUGHT,SO IT THERE ANYWAY IT CAN GO BACK TO ITS ORIGINAL LEATHER COLOR.THANKS

How can I clean my fabric Doonie bag? I got black stuff on it this morning and I am freaking out because it is brand new.

By Stacey

Answers

Their website has directions for cleaning different types of bags: www.dooney.com/.../ibeCCtpSctDspRte.jsp?section=41176...

My son spilled his glass of milk on my Dooney and Bourke fabric purse. Will it stain and how would I clean it?

By Amanda P

Answers

You can contact Dooney & Bourke by phone or email, they should be able to tell you how to clean it. They also have a link where you can get live help from 9AM to 9PM (EST) Monday through Friday. Here is a link to their contact page. The link is long, you might have to copy and paste it if clicking doesn't work.

www.dooney.com/

I need help in cleaning a borrowed Dooney and Bourke handbag. The inside of the handbag has dirt and a few ink stains on the fabric on the inside. This was borrowed so I need help. If I can not get it clean I will have to purchase a new bag and they don't make this type of brown giraffe print anymore. Thanks.

By jean from TX

Answers

For the ink, I would recommend spraying a clean, dry cloth with some hairspray, and then try to rub a spot of the inside of the purse with the cloth to see if that will remove it. Hairspray on ink has always worked for me to remove it, but since you have a borrowed item, just be careful. It should work however. Let me know if it does. Thanks.

I have a Dooney and Bourke brown purse and recently noticed a white dingy stain on the bottom of my purse. I tried using a leather cleaner, but it did not work! How can I remove the stain?

By Rebecca from McAllen, TX

Answers

I am disgusted with dooney and their lack of customer service. I have a it bag. I have so many bags i carry them for about 1 week a year each. After 3 years the coated cotton began bubbling. I went through the same process of mailing the bag in, paying myself. I was offered the credit but you didn't mention not only do you get the credit but you have to spend the same amount out of pocket too. For example $75 credit, you must spend $75 also and get a bag worth $150 or more. So I had the bag sent back, though I rarely carry it. Then my coated cotton Miami bag, not only started bubbling but it also faded to a gray when it was once black. This time I refused to send the bag in. I demanded to speak to a supervisor. Who basically said, once you have had a bag for a year (doesn't matter if you only carried it for a week) they don't stand behind it anymore. All they will ever offer is the trade in. I tried every tactic on her. She didn't care and she truly didn't care that she was losing several (me and the ladies in my family) customers based on the outcome of this conversation. Dooney does not stand behind their product, stick with Coach folks!

How can I wash this bag? I tried to wash it with soap and water in the sink and the bright pink fabric on the inside faded to the grey exterior. I cannot get the color bleed out of the grey exterior.

By Denise

What kind of fabric lines a Dooney and Bourke bag? I'm referring to the hot pink lining in their popular designs.

By Sarah B

I have the Dooney and Bourke white leather purse with pics of purses and flip flops on it. It is turning a yellowish color. The bag is in great condition, but looks "dirty". What should I do to restore it to its original color?

By Mary G

There is a yellow purse in the picture here: Dooney purse. Is that yellow tint normal?

By Anita

I bought this light pink leather purse from someone and it has a grayish stain on the bottom front corner lining. How do I get that cleaned?

By Lu C.

How do you clean the DB purse pictured on this site? Purse Mine looks like this one which is discolored! I have tried all the suggestions posted and nothing budges my problem! I even tried pure Clorox (very carefully) on a small area thinking I could bleach it out. Help.

By Shirley R

In searching the internet I came across you. Your post for cleaning those popular purses says that they can look great again with proper cleaning, but you don't mention which of the UGG products works on the purse. Please let me know. I would be interested in trying the product. Thank you.

By Janet D. from Lutz, FL

How do I clean my Dooney and Bourke fabric handbag with a leather strap and handles?

By CB

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to clean a fabric Dooney and Bourke purse?

By Kandy

How do I clean a nylon fabric Dooney and Burke handbag?

By KS

How do I clean my fabric Dooney and Burke purse?

By Richelle

How do I remove stains from a Dooney and Bourke purse? It is a yellow stain.

Load More

Home and Garden Cleaning MiscellaneousSeptember 9, 2012
🌻
🐰
🍀