Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Homemade Head Lice Remedy

I came across this tip about removing lice. In a nutshell, it says that by putting conditioner in damp hair and then dipping a metal (not plastic) comb in the baking soda and combing through hair, it gets them out a lot faster. Conditioner also has the added effect of helping you see the live lice and slow them down so you can find them in the first place.

By Robyn Fed from Hampton, TN

Feedback Forum

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By Lelia Jo Cordell [49]09/23/2010

Robin, I wish I'd had this tip several years ago! Both my daughters spent a summer looking like Sinead O'Connor. This, after I tried everything else I knew or had ever heard of to conquer the problem.

By Jo [7]09/23/2010

Boy, I wish I'd thought of this 30 years ago when my kids were little. All three had curly hair! Thanks, great tip!

By Sandi [390]09/22/2010

Another great one is to goop mayonnaise on the hair, cover in shower curtain for 30 minutes, then rinse. You can Google it if you don't think it's true. I did!
PBP

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to share feedback.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Homemade Head Lice Remedy

To get rid of head lice, just buy a cheap bottle of mouth wash (the kind that contains alcohol). Saturate the hair with mouth wash and a good conditioner, put shower cap on and leave on for one hour. Rinse out and comb with lice comb, all the bugs should be dead. Kills the eggs too. Don't forget to wash all bedding, hats, coats, brushes, etc. and vacuum the house good. This should take care of the lice without costly and dangerous products. My daughter and niece got them. After using all of the other stuff (that didn't work), tried this and they were gone. We have not been bothered with them since. Good luck!

By Suzanne from Norfolk, VA

RE: Homemade Head Lice Remedy

You can use apple smelling shampoo as a preventative. And keep your hair up in a hair tie if at all possible. (01/07/2009)

By wvrdnkwmn

RE: Homemade Head Lice Remedy

We used the soap Cetaphil (or generic brand). Coat hair thickly and let dry. Rinse out and use the lice comb. Repeat every 2-3 days until all signs of lice are gone (then do it once more just to make sure, LOL!). Gentle on your child's scalp and leaves hair soft. Worked much better than the harsh chemical products.

As Suzanne said, don't forget to also wash any linens, hats, coats, pillows, anything that may have come in contact with the infested person in HOT water and vacuum furniture. I did my daughter's bed linens daily. Oh and don't forget your car seat as well.(01/08/2009)

By chriself

RE: Homemade Head Lice Remedy

Actually you don't even need the mouthwash, conditioner works great by itself. (01/08/2009)

By Thursday_Next

RE: Homemade Head Lice Remedy

A low cost, green eco friendly, healthy natural way to deal with lice is to make a homemade liquid from soap berries, which grow on the China berry tree and have been used for thousands of years. They work very effectively. (01/09/2009)

By Ira

Archive: Homemade Head Lice Remedy

I would like a home remedy for head lice on children.

Archive: Homemade Head Lice Remedy

How do I get rid of lice?

By Darionl from Ardmore, OK

RE: Homemade Head Lice Remedy

This isn't homemade per se, but it was more effective and less harsh than the chemicals like RID and such. We used a mild soap called Cetaphil. Many stores have a store brand of this as well. You saturate the hair with it and let it dry on there for a minimum of 2 hours(6-8 is better). Then rinse and comb out nits and eggs.

The soap suffocates the lice and nits and loosens the eggs from the hair shaft. Do this every few days until no more eggs appear then do it again in a week just to make sure. Getting rid of lice is a long process, Be patient and thorough. Don't forget to wash linens in hot water frequently and vacuum furniture. Also don't forget the car. Good Luck. (03/29/2010)

By chriself

RE: Homemade Head Lice Remedy

I find cooking oil effective. Coat the hair in the oil. Comb through with a large comb to get rid of the knots then comb the entire head with a fine nit comb, one section at a time, wiping the comb with kitchen paper each time. I then keep the oil in overnight and repeat the combing process again next morning. You will need to protect your bedclothes from the oil. The oil is supposed to make it hard for them to get a grip and feed. Also it will take 3 washes to get the oil out. I then comb the hair with a nit comb twice a day for a fortnight. You can also use hair conditioner. (03/29/2010)

By MaddogsandEnglishmen

RE: Homemade Head Lice Remedy

DO NOT use kerosene! The stuff is toxic. It is easily absorbed through the scalp and is highly flammable. A lot of people still like to use it because their parents or grandparents did and they survived, but there have been children who have died or become seriously ill from it. (03/29/2010)

By lyonpridej

RE: Homemade Head Lice Remedy

Sauerkraut juice. (03/29/2010)

By muttmom

RE: Homemade Head Lice Remedy

I know this sounds crazy, but Dog Flea and Tick shampoo works great for killing lice. I've been using it on my kids for years. (03/30/2010)

By laura343

RE: Homemade Head Lice Remedy

Vaseline coats the lice and they suffocate. Smear it on thickly, cover your head with a shower cap, leave on for 30 minutes and wash off. Do this once a week, to kill the new hatchlings, for 4 weeks. It's hard to wash out, but it works!! I find that Sunlight liquid dish soap washes it out. Cheap and it works. (03/30/2010)

By catastrofy

RE: Homemade Head Lice Remedy

Do not use Rid or Nix. This stuff is awful. I used it on my daughter with our first go-around with lice and I swore I would never do this again. This is what I now do and it works well. I purchased 2 metal (not plastic) lice combs. One is finer than the other. I use a super-inexpensive dish soap from our local Aldi store that has "Bleach-Alternative" added. (I think Dawn also has a variety of this type of soap...) Wet your child's hair and saturate it with the soap. Let it set for a few mintues. The live lice cannot stand this soap and will die. Comb the hair with the soap still in it with the larger of the 2 lice combs. You will see some of the larger louses and some nits. Rinse the hair thoroughly and use a little conditioner to aid in the comb going through the hair. Using the finer comb, keep combing out the nits. Wipe or rinse the comb with each pass through the hair to dispose of the nits. I did this process each night on my daughter for a week and did not have any more problems. (And she has a very thick head of hair!) Good Luck! (07/16/2010)

By JEMsMom