Freeze Grated Cheese

My granddaughter bought a big round of cheddar cheese. It was too much to use at once. so I grated it today to put in the freezer. I sprayed a small amount of cooking spray on the grater for easier clean up. I then put 1/3 cup of the grated cheese in plastic size snack bags for portion control.

When the kids want some cheese for their chili or potato soup, it also thaws out faster. If we need cheese for something like Mac and cheese, we just get out the right number of bags. Freezing the cheese also keeps it from going moldy before we can use it.

By deebomb from Lexington SC

This is a great idea. I will go one step farther: our family loves cheese and when I find a bargain on a large cheddar cheese I break it off in 1/2-1 lb. chunks and put in the freezer. When you take it out it is so much easier to grate. Sometimes just taking a fork to it is all you need to do. Put the rest back in the bag in the freezer for next time.

grated cheese
Storing Grated Cheese
Food and Recipes Freezing DairyMarch 4, 2010
A piece of carrot cake on plate with cream cheese frosting
Cream Cheese Frosting Recipes
Stack of Cheeses
Saving Money on Cheese
Ricotta cheese on fig leaves on white plate, with cheese knife.
Freezing Ricotta Cheese
Leftover Shredded Cheese
Using Leftover Cheese
🎉
🎄