Plastic Melted on a Smooth Cooktop Range

A plastic bag was melted onto my glass stove top. I had been told to scrape it off with a razor, heat it back up, and even to try ice. I remembered that I had bought a bottle of Goo Gone, so I tried this let it sit on the plastic for about 10 to 15 minutes. Then I used my scraper (just a plastic one for Pampered Chef) to scrape off the plastic. It worked like a charm. I then cleaned the whole stove top with Soft Ccrub and a sponge, finished off with some glass cleaner and it look as good as new.

By shaynelinda from Pensacola, FL

My range top had hard plastic melted on from an electric mixer. I tried nail polish remover with acetone & a plastic spatula. It worked like a dream.

WD40 is amazing! My spot was a rather large one, and after trying my acetone nail polish remover, windex, kitchen spray with bleach, goo gone, and ceramabrite, Wd40 worked in 5 minutes with an angled razor blade! =)

Goo gone worked brilliantly! I melted the bottom of a plastic laundry basket on my NEW slate slide-in range. I was so upset - crying and yelling because I thought I had ruined my new range. I followed the steps, and Goo gone worked like a miracle! I thought it would have left even a little mark to show it was ruined. There was no sign at all! It was a big area that had plastic melted on it too.

This worked like a charm! I only used a plastic scraper with the Goo Gone and followed up with the regular cooktop cleaner. Thank you so much for the helpful and safe tip!

I had kept my cooktop perfectly clean and then something unknown appeared stick on it with accompanying dots of the substance. I tried everything in addition to the regular cleaner. Nothing worked. Then, saw the suggestion to use goo gone. It took several applications and gentle scraping with soft spatula- the residue is GONE!!! Thank you so much!!

The Goo Gone worked for me, too. Just put some on the melted plastic, waited 15 minutes and it scraped right off with a clean razor blade :-)

Thanks, my husband sat a plastic bag on a hot burner. I used goo gone but wasn't having any luck with a knif to scrape it off. When I Googled and found your post, I got my razor that's kinda like a box cutter (?) and scraped it off. Cleaned the rest of the white residue of with kitchen counter spray and sponge/scrub pad. Thanks!

Cleaning a Smooth Cooktop Range
Cleaning Melted Plastic From a Smooth Cooktop Range
Home and Garden Cleaning AppliancesOctober 13, 2010
Black smooth top cooking range.
Cleaning Spills on a Smooth Top Stove
Smooth Top Stove
Cleaning a Smooth Top Stove
A car parked on a sunny day.
Removing Melted Plastic on Car Upholstery
Dirty drip pan and stove top.
Keeping Electric Range Drip Pans Clean