Plastic Melted on a Smooth Cooktop Range

A plastic bag was melted onto my glass stove top. I had been told to scrape it off with a razor, heat it back up, and even to try ice. I remembered that I had bought a bottle of Goo Gone, so I tried this let it sit on the plastic for about 10 to 15 minutes. Then I used my scraper (just a plastic one for Pampered Chef) to scrape off the plastic. It worked like a charm. I then cleaned the whole stove top with Soft Ccrub and a sponge, finished off with some glass cleaner and it look as good as new.

By shaynelinda from Pensacola, FL

Anonymous
Top Comment

A cheap rectangular clear plastic container filled with chicken noodle vegetable soup was accidentally placed on a hot ceramic burner....catastrophe!!! Soup was all over after melting bottom of container , which was cleaned up with paper towels as best we could. Huge residue all over burner and surround.

After it cooled, used goo gone twice and let sit each time.....didn't work.

Looked it up on Google for another solution.....tried WD40, 2 times and let it sit each time...no luck

Next turned burner on high for 12 minutes and let cool. Washed residue of. This worked on center up to edge, but edges still no luck.

Next came Cerama Bryte cooktop cleaner and THE CROWN CHOICE..Non-Scratch Scourer Cloth, distributed by Open Arms Holdings, Mercer Island WA. 98040. I purchased at home Fair, used the heftier of the 2 in package, and VOILA...it worked.!!!

I now have a clean stove top and am no longer in despair!

I had melted a plastic measuring cup to the burner which left a fairly thick film over the entire surface of the burner. I saw a youtube using distilled vinegar and cream of tartar. I poured the vinegar and cream of tartar mixture over the area and let it sit for a minute. I then used a frost scrapper from my car to scrap off the thicker stuff. I wiped that up and went back at it with a scrubbing pad to get the remainder. Good as new!! https://youtu.be/Ljrrr8l627Y

My range top had hard plastic melted on from an electric mixer. I tried nail polish remover with acetone & a plastic spatula. It worked like a dream.

WD40 is amazing! My spot was a rather large one, and after trying my acetone nail polish remover, windex, kitchen spray with bleach, goo gone, and ceramabrite, Wd40 worked in 5 minutes with an angled razor blade! =)

Goo gone worked brilliantly! I melted the bottom of a plastic laundry basket on my NEW slate slide-in range. I was so upset - crying and yelling because I thought I had ruined my new range. I followed the steps, and Goo gone worked like a miracle! I thought it would have left even a little mark to show it was ruined. There was no sign at all! It was a big area that had plastic melted on it too.

Anonymous

This worked like a charm! I only used a plastic scraper with the Goo Gone and followed up with the regular cooktop cleaner. Thank you so much for the helpful and safe tip!

Anonymous

I had kept my cooktop perfectly clean and then something unknown appeared stick on it with accompanying dots of the substance. I tried everything in addition to the regular cleaner. Nothing worked. Then, saw the suggestion to use goo gone. It took several applications and gentle scraping with soft spatula- the residue is GONE!!! Thank you so much!!

Anonymous

The Goo Gone worked for me, too. Just put some on the melted plastic, waited 15 minutes and it scraped right off with a clean razor blade :-)

Thanks, my husband sat a plastic bag on a hot burner. I used goo gone but wasn't having any luck with a knif to scrape it off. When I Googled and found your post, I got my razor that's kinda like a box cutter (?) and scraped it off. Cleaned the rest of the white residue of with kitchen counter spray and sponge/scrub pad. Thanks!

Thanks for the Goo Gone tip! I had accidentally placed a plastic frozen food tray on a hot burner. I sprayed GG on the cooled burner for about 30 minutes, then wiped it with paper towels until I removed the burned on plastic. To get the GG off, I used the Cerama Bryte cleaner that came with my new GE range (ceramabryte.com). My smooth top range top looks new again!