This meringue is easy to make and it never fails me.

• 12 oz. caster sugar
  • 2 egg whites
  • 4 Tbsp. boiling water
  • 1 heaped tsp. corn starch or corn flour
  • Ad
  • 1 tsp. white vinegar
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla essence

Oven 320 degrees F (160 degrees C) for 10 minutes. Lower heat to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C) for 30 minutes.

Into the mixing bowl put all of the ingredients and whisk until the mixture is stiff.

At this stage you can decide if you want to make small meringues or make a Pavlova.

For small meringues using 2 tsp. put onto foil lined baking trays or for Pavlova using all of the mixture place on foil lined baking tray and shape into a circle and build up the sides.

When baked fill large meringue with cream and fruit and serve as a dessert, and fill the small ones with fresh cream.

Source: Memorized from an old book the name of which I don't remember.

By Mary of Lourdes from Ireland

Does anyone know exactly what caster sugar is? I have seen it British cookbooks so I know they have it there, but I've never seen it in the US. What could we substitute?

Fluffy meringue hearts.
Homemade Meringue
Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts PiesFebruary 2, 2010
Lemon Meringue
Recipes Using Meringue
Slice of lemon meringue pie on a plate.
Lemon Meringue Pie Recipes
Chocolate Meringue Pie
Chocolate Meringue Pie
Cutting Meringue Pies
Cutting Meringue Pies