Start Heater Before Car is Warm

This is especially for people who live in pretty cold climates, but it's probably a very good idea anywhere. When it is cold and you get in your vehicle to drive, turn your heater up all the way as soon as you start the engine. If you wait until the motor gets really warm before your turn on the heat, it can crack your windshield.

Source: This has just always been my husband's rule when starting a vehicle.

By lucas0921 from Western Montana

Did you ever actually hear of that happening? My hubby says leave the window open a crack in the summer or it will crack the windshield. I won't in my car because I don't want bugs getting in. It has never cracked. It was 20 below zero here this winter, my windshield did not crack. I won't let ice cold air blow in my face. I don''t like it. The windshield will not crack (all you men). If it does your car insurance will pay for it, but it won't crack. Really old windshields were made of a different kind of glass. Maybe they cracked. Yours won't.

Actually most car manufacturers say different. You should never put your heater vent all the way up in colder climates you should put it on gradually because the force of the fan takes longer to get the heat through the coils. If you start the fan at a lower speed and as it warms increase the fan your car will heat faster.

Consumer Advice Cars Winter DrivingApril 12, 2011
Car Radiator
Troubleshooting Car Heater Problems
Saving Money on Car Rentals, Neon Car Rental Sign
Saving Money on Car Rentals
Buying a Cheap Car for First Time Driver, For Sale sign in Window of Used Car
Buying a Cheap Car for First Time Driver
Maintaining Your Water Heater
Maintaining Your Water Heater