Making a Bar of Soap from Soap Scraps

How can I remold soap out of old soap scraps?

By Victor

My former mother-in-law showed me how when she would get a really thin piece of soap left from a bar, she would wet the new bar and the small piece, while in the tub or shower, and stick them together firmly, then while still in the tub or shower, smooth the edges down all the way around the small piece of soap. You didn't get a new bar that way, but the small piece didn't go to waste either.

When I have a lot of soap scraps saved up, I grate them on a coarse grater into a bowl. Then I add just enough water or liquid soap to make it stick together like clay. Once you have done this you take a handful of it and form it into one or more bars of soap. I make mine an oval shape. Let it dry afew days and then it is ready to use.

I've found the easiest way of all: Save your soap scraps until you have a travel soap box container (hopefully a large one) full. Put them inside with a small amount of water, then put the open container in your microwave. Set it at a low speed or even defrost, then keep an eye on it as it heats. The bars will absorb the moisture and start to grow in size. Start and stop the microwave. When it seems to suit you, take a skewer or other long utensil and stir to mix. Then let it cool and push it down into the soap box to make a bar. Set it aside and let it cure for a few days. When it's no longer tacky, push it out of the box. You may need to use a small knife or skewer to score around the edges and loosen it from your mold. Now pop it out and you'll have a bar you can use to wash at the sink, tub, or shower.

I have designed a small house hold product with hand driven machine which molds scraps into bars with less energy consumptive way and easy to use. It's small in dimension and easy to use even 8+ kid I use this devise to make soap scrap into bars. I will take some images and upload them.

Hi,

Can I buy one of these products? I hate throwing away the end scraps of soap but can't find any way of making them stick together. Years ago I had something called "Soap Sam" that I used very successfully but can't find anything like it online these days.

Best regards,

Elaine

Grate or cut the soap into small pieces and place in a microwaveable bowl about 3 times larger than the amount of soap. Add vegetable oil (abt 1 T to 1 cup of soap pieces). Sometimes I add cinnamon (about 2 t, other spices can be added such as basil, chopped bay leaf, etc.), oatmeal (about 2 T per cup) or cornmeal for texture, aroma, and to act as natural scrub.

Add about 1/4 water. Heat in 1 minute increments at 50% power (the soap expands and you don't want to make a mess in the microwave). Stir. Repeat until the soap is soft. Sometimes I leave coarse bits of soap in the mixture to act as scrub. If you accidentlly use too much water, add more liquid to create a liquid soap, or add more oatmeal for a more density.

For soap bars or balls, the mixture needs to be the consistency of playdough. Dump the soap onto wax paper and mold. Pull the wax paper off the top of the soap Let sit a couple of hours, then turn the soap over so the bottom can dry out. It should be ready to use the next day. Soap balls will take longer to cure.

PS. Add grated orange or lemon rind to the soap as something different for added aroma and texture.

Home and Garden Cleaning Cleaning Supply RecipesFebruary 27, 2011
Hand washing shower wall
Removing Soap Scum from Shower Doors
Bar of Soap Stuck in a Toilet
Bar of Soap Stuck in Toilet
Washing with bar soap.
Is Using Bar Soap Safe?
Neatly Wrapped Homemade Soap
Packaging Homemade Soap for Sale
🎉
🎄