Recipes for a Beginner's Cookbook

I have inherited a daughter-in-law recently who has no idea how to cook. Does any one have any beginner recipes I can put in a cookbook i'm making for her?

Thanks,
imaqt1962 from IL

Tater Tot Casserole

1 lb hamburger

1 can cream of mushroom soup

8 to 10 slices of cheese

tater tots

salt and pepper beef in skillet and cook,drain well

add soup to beef

spray 9 by 11 casserole dish with pam

put meat mixture in first , spread in dish

layer slices of cheese to cover meat

put tator tots close together to cover cheese

350 degress F for 20 min or until tots are crispy brown

I would start with basic "how tos" like how to cut and saute vegetables or how to pick good cuts of meat or how to tell when foods are cooked and other helpful hints that we do without thinking. Other than that I would just put in your favorite recipes and ones that you know her hubby likes and make little notes on them, letting her know little varations she could use. I like in the Kraft Food and Family magazine when they have a chart with a meat, sauce and vegetable to make the same dish with different ingredients.

Someone posted about organizing recipes by meals with a main dish and sides all together, I think that would help someone just starting in the kitchen.

What a great idea to put a book together for her, she's a lucky daughter in law! I got a call from my sister the other day asking how to make hard boiled eggs, something I thought everyone knew how to do!

Good Luck

Rebekah

You can get her that Kraft food magazine for free. Just go to the website and sign up and every couple of months they will send you a magazine stuffed full of recipes. Tell her to get a crockpot. That could be the beginning cookers best friend. We bought some really cheap cuts of sirloin steaks a couple of weeks ago and I put them in the crockpot with a bottle of bbq sauce and half a jar of apple butter, cooked them about 8 hours and they were wonderful.

Here is a couple of standbys that I cook if I dont have a lot of time on my hands and my family loves them.

Bacon Baked Chicken

4 slices bacon

4 chicken breasts, deboned

1 pint sour cream

2 10 3/4oz cans condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Wrap uncooked bacon slices around deboned chicken breasts and place the

breasts in a baking dish.

Mix sour cream and soup and spoon the mixture over chicken. Cover dish

with foil and bake for 1 hour.

*******************************

Easy Easy Meatloaf

********************************

2 lb. lean ground beef

1 pkg. (6 oz.) Stuffing Mix,any variety

1 cup water

2 eggs, beaten

1/2 cup Barbecue Sauce,

divided

MIX all ingredients except 1/4 cup of the barbecue sauce.

SHAPE meat mixture into 2 oval loaves, side by side,

in 13x9-inch baking dish. Top with remaining 1/4 cup barbecue sauce.

BAKE at 375°F for 35 minutes or until done !

taco chili mac

pound and half hamburger browned and drained

2 3/4 water

one and half to two pack taco seasoning

4 ounce velvetta cheese cut into cubes

2 cups elbow macaroni

mix browned and drained hamburger, water, taco seasoning in skillet bring to a boil, pour in macaroni and turn to medium low. cook till macaroni soft, about 10 minutes. then put in cheese stirring occasionally till melted.

here's a quick and easy recipe for yr d-i-l who is presume wl b a wrkng wf (who isn't nowadays). chocolate brownies: 1/2 cup cocoa sieved with 1/2 cup cake flour, 1/3 cup melted butter, 1 cup powdered sugar, 1/3 cup chopped walnuts, 1 egg, 1/3 cup chocolate chips (these and the walnuts r optional), mix all together, put into greased microwave baking pan and m/wave on high for 4 1/2 mins. let it stay for 5 mins. cut in bars and serve either plain or with kahlua or with vanilla icecream. pls let me know what the outcome was - after all, the proof of the pudding is in the eating.""""

I laughed when I read about the hard boiled eggs. It took me a few years to get them right - I could never remember the "recipe." That would make a great entry for a beginner's cookbook. But I'm thinking if you just hit the internet, and look up beginner's recipes, you would hit the jackpot. I spend a lot of time looking at recipes on the internet, just for fun, and I've sampled a lot. There are some great sites at there. Allrecipes.com and Recipezaar.com, com to mind. And, Foodnetwork.com has a lot of great tips. Maybe if you research the web and provide a page of websites for her to use, she can expand her recipe base beyond the book you make. Also, if she can get the hang of a crockpot, she's golden.

good luck with your venture!

Maybe you have (or a friend has) a church cookbook that you can find recipes in. Those are the best cookbooks to look for easy, down to earth, I have everything in my cupboard, recipes you can find.

Hi, I will be inheriting a daughter-in-law in a few months and have started collecting recipes to put in a cookbook for her. I am including some of my sons favorite dishes or meals. When I prepare a dish that I'm putting in the cookbook, am also taking a pic of it. I'll keep watching these posts for more ideas that I can use too. Good luck with yours:) mtsack at aol dot com

Almond Crunch

1 stick butter(not oleo)

1/2 cup granulated sugar

1 tablespoon white Karo Syrup

1 cup sliced almonds

Mix all together in a skillet. Cook until carmalized, about 5 minutes. Then pour mixture onto foil(or release foil) that has been buttered( so wont stick) Let cool and break into pieces. Easy and wonderful flavor. I always get asked for the recipe when I make it.

Have her sign up to Thrifty Fun recipes! I have been cooking/baking for years and I always find something familar and unique at Thrifty-Fun. In fact I have a recipe file for Thrifty recipes! Especially from Robin! Foodnetwork, Kraft , etc. have great sites. Sounds like she just needs to get a list going and try a few. I'm sure she'll out do you before long. HA!

My daughter bought herself a cookbook that has just a handful of ingredients for each recipe.

It's called 'Gooseberry Patch' Country Quick and Easy.

She sent me one and the recipes are very easy and very delicious.

Hi, Instead of just giving your precious daughter-in-law recipes, how about inviting her over on a Saturday and cooking with her for the day? Not only can you show her your tricks in the kitchen, but you will have a special time enjoying each other's company. Daughter-in-laws are a special gift.

THANKS FOR THE SUGGESTION TEDDEBEAR BUT SHE LIVES IN HAWAII AND I LIVE IN ILLINOIS

Go to allrecipes.com and type in dump cake.

These are the easiest cakes in the world to make...you litterally jum dump the ingredients. into the cake pan and bake!

I have started a cookbook similar to this for both of my kids. I even gave a cookbook to my niece with a bunch of Grandma Saari's recipes! It's great to pass these along!

Good Luck,

SAndy from MN

If she has a slow cooker this is a very easy recipe.

Beef Stroganoff

1 package of stew meat or a small roast.

1 family size can of cream of mushroom soup

1 package of onion soup mix and mix it with 2 cups of water.

Mix all the ingredients and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4-6.

Serve over rice or mashed potatoes. You can also add noodles.

When I was a teenager, I made a cookbook for my friends who were going to college. Even though I am (and have always been) a from-scratch cook, I knew they were not. I gave them simple recipes like chicken parmesan made from frozen, breaded chicken patties, jarred sauce and sliced cheese from the deli. Make an easy soup from leftovers: 1 cup (approx.) of stir fry, mixed into one package of cooked ramen with broth. Slice leftover chicken or steak and place on top of a salad of romaine or baby greens. Include things like how to make a hamburger, scrambled eggs, baked potatoes, mashed potatoes, pasta, etc. Things that we cooks don't think twice about, perplex young or inexperienced cooks.

Cream of Broccoli Soup

16 oz bag frozen broccoli

1 can chicken broth

1 can cream of mushroom soup

1 block package cream cheese

Mix first three ingredients in a pot. Heat until simmering. Add cream cheese and stir until well combined. Heat through.

Add pepper, parsley, onion flakes or whatever seasoning you want.

You could use any vegetable or mix you like. You can substitute vegetable broth if you wish.

Dear Thriftyboo,

I know this is late as I just joined but a recipe I was given is excellent for a new cook. It is called hamburger goulash

brown 1 lb of hamburger with

1 small chopped onion and

1 small bell pepper

When veggies are soft add

1 can of Campbell's Vegetarian Vegetable in

"Beef Stock" and 1/2 can of water and stir well.

Cook over medium heat to desired consistency.

Serve with crackers or crusty bread and a salad.

As there are more than 1 Vegetarian Vegetable be sure it is in Beef Stock. Makes a big difference.

Yummy!

Glad you asked!

My chef career - in its current encarnation - is dedicated to teaching beginners how to cook. Cooking is empowering and necessary and gracious all at the same time. I do have some recipes on our Web Site. Please check them out, if you'd like. If you don't go to the site, let me know, and I'll give you a couple.

Enjoy your new family! Your cookbook is a great idea! Very personal and welcoming.

Cookin' Up Productions is our name.

cookinup.com

My mom always called it eggs in a nest, I'm not sure if it has another name.

1 package of elbow noodles

1 can of family sized mushroom soup

1 can tuna

1 can peas

salt

Cook the noodles, then drain, then dump the mushroom soup and tuna on top and mix. Serve in a bowl, and make a indent in the middle, and put how ever many peas they want there. Add some salt if you want it, and it's good to go. I'm not sure how many it feeds, probably 4 to 6 people. It's great as leftovers as well.

My favorite easy recipe that my family LOVES is a great chicken dish for your crockpot.

Crockpot Teriyaki Chicken

1 whole chicken

1 bag baby carrots

1/3 cp brown sugar

1/3 cp soy sauce

Place whole chicken in crockpot. Add baby carrots. Mix together brown sugar and soy sauce. Pour over chicken and carrots. Cook in Crockpot on low 8 hours or more. Chicken will be falling off the bones it will be so tender! Serve with rice or pasta. The carrots are sensational cooked this way - kids love them!

On allrecipes.com there is a recipe called "famous butter chicken". Very easy and very good!

Also, my mom got me a "Cooking for Dummies" book. Sounds ridiculous, but I still find it useful!

Handwritten Cookbook
Making a Cookbook
Food and Recipes Recipes AdviceNovember 14, 2005
Creating a Family Cookbook, Scattering of handwritten recipes including the occasional food spots.
Creating a Family Cookbook
Homemade Recipe Book Holder
Making a Cookbook Holder
Two kids making fruit kabobs.
Making a Cookbook for Kids
🎄