I'm looking for info about fleas and roundworm health risks to humans. We have had an infestation of fleas from a previous tenants cat that left "salt and pepper-like" droppings everywhere. Our dog has had an on-going issue with roundworms and tapeworms. I've had severe stomach-aches, fatigue, and loss of appetite. Am I just being paranoid? A friend said this can be harmful to humans.
Yyou can get roundworms and tapeworms too, you will need to see your doctor and he/she will most likely have you collect a stool sample from you to be sent off to a lab to check for roundworms. I would not wait, this is something that does not heal itself.
You need to have your landlord have a professional come in and take care of the flea infestation and not just the live fleas but the eggs too! This might take two or three 'bombings'! It's the law that landlords must get rid of pests! The pepper color is flea poop and the salt color are flea eggs!
Yes, have your own stool checked for worms and if you have them then you need to talk to your landlord and the Health Department about that also!
You can buy medicine over the counter at the pharmacy for roundworms. Tapeworms can be the result of your pet ingesting a flea. That happened with our Rat Terrier once, and we took him to the vet for treatment. But I treat the dogs for roundworms on a regular basis.
Harlean from Arkansas
There are expensive over the counter meds for both. Look online for roundworm images, and tapeworm images. The tapeworm infestations must have extensive cleansing in the house and linens, furniture, etc, especially where the animal goes because it can be easily reinfected. I learned the feline tapeworm is not a human tapeworm. But one should be cautious until the animal has no signs and all is clean.
I also learned that the cheaper dry puppy tapeworm meds are the same formula name but stronger so, for multiple cats, the puppy dose should work fine. For kittens you'd have to read and compare the strengths and adjust accordingly. Only the vet can give a shot, but the pills must be crushed and placed into something stinky that's also edible, like canned mackeral fish from most dollar and discount stores.
Unless you truly vacuum and sanitize with bleach and pine oil, the microscopic eggs that the worms have which come out in the feces can reinfect the animal. Also cheap canned foods must surely contain these same eggs somehow.
Good luck and god bless. : )
I work at a vets. Both tape worm & Roundworms are zoonotic(Meaning :They can be passed to humans) Tapeworm eggs can be contracted from eating dead animals (rabbits etc or when biting at fleas) 95% of puppies are born with roundworm(even if the mother tests negative. ROUNDWORM can cause blindness!in humans! Mostly in toddlers that crawl on the floor where stool has not been cleaned thoroughly, picking up the eggs and placing their hands in their mouths. They can then migrate and since we are not normal hosts the body tries to "seal them off causing a cyst that can lodge in an eye area..look it up. It's not common but it's not worth the risk.This isn't talked about because of the almighty dollar. Heartworm products are also dewormers but if you have an active infection need to be given every 2 weeks instead of monthly for roundworm infection. Hearworm meds do not rid the pet of tapeworm.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!