Vacation Ideas for the Smith Mountain Lake and Shenandoah Valley Area of Virginia

I'm hoping some of you wonderful readers can provide me with some helpful information. My family is planning a trip to Virginia in October. The areas we are interested in visiting include the Shenandoah Valley and Smith Mountain Lake. I would like to know what types of fun activities we can do while in those areas and any other things that we should make a point to see while traveling in and around those areas. Thanks in advance to those who can assist me!

By Weary Traveler from Wilkesboro, NC

Virginia is usually beautiful in October but with the dry spell and all you won't be seeing the pretty leaves turn.

Here is a great url on what to do at Smith Mountain Lake.

http://smith-mountain-lake.com/

I have not been there in many years but did go there on a church event. It is extremely nice.

Wishing you a wonderful time.

Gem

I used to live in Staunton, Va. It is the birthplace of Woodrow Wilson, also the home of the Statlers. Statlers have a gift shop you can visit. Woodrow Wilson's birthplace also has a gift shop and tours. There are many things to do and see in the area. The Blue Ridge Mountains are beautiful. Stuarts Draft and Dayton are Amish country with Amish stores. You might even run into one of the Stater Brothers at the Mall.

Shenandoah National Park
Shenandoah National Park Photos and Information
Travel and Recreation TravelSeptember 23, 2010
Closeup of lily-of-the-valley flowers against green of leaves and blue sky.
Growing Lily-of-the-Valley
Girl in a red coat giving to the Salvation Army.
Virginia Christmas Charities
West Virginia Christmas Charities
Downward photo of an area rug in a lobby
Cleaning Area Rugs
🎉
🎄