Cat Left Behind Fleas

We recently gave our kitten away, but with her leaving, we are left with fleas. We have used the eco-friendly insecticide throughout the house. I seem to be the only person between my daughter and husband that is getting bitten. You can literally see fleas crawling on my feet biting me.

I don't understand why they choose me. I'm not using any kind of fragranced lotions, and any perfumes I use get washed off after bathing. What can I do to get them to 1) die or 2) stop biting me? Thank you.

By Npr_clrw from Clearwater, FL

Best Answer

Dry Borax 2 cups per room-sprinkle carpet and even furniture. Leave 2 weeks before vacuuming.

Biting bugs like me better than the rest of my family, too. :-) We've gotten fleas in our house twice. The first time, we bombed the place. I *really* dislike using chemicals like that, but It was about a month before the holidays, we were expecting guests in a couple weeks, and I wanted to take care of the situation. I used lots of old newspapers and sheets to cover horizontal surfaces and appliances/electronics. We got some fleas last year, from a kitten we rescued. It wasn't as bad as the first time, so I used a flea spray. I found it near where the bombs are. Meanwhile, I made sure I treated all of our cats. I sprayed twice, maybe a week or two apart, and that took care of the problem.

If you go this sort of route (insecticides), read the packaging. There are products specifically for fleas, that have a residual action of killing the eggs/new fleas. The first time we got fleas, my husband didn't believe me, because he didn't see them (and wasn't being bitten). Meanwhile my legs were covered with itchy bites. I had to CATCH one to show him, so he'd believe me. I think that was part of our problem. We didn't act right away (giving them time to get worse). No matter what you use, treat for them as soon as possible. Best of luck, I hope you get them under control soon!

I tend to get bitten a lot by spiders, fleas, ticks, etc. too, so I asked my doctor why. She said the bugs and insects like my body chemistry best. She says they 'smell' the difference; i.e. a 'sweeter' chemistry so to speak. The Borax solution should get rid of any fleas you might have, but if you have any pets, keep them away until the Borax is vacuumed up.

Cat inside a cat carrier on a wooden floor inside a home
Cat Left Behind Fleas
Home and Garden Pest Control FleasJuly 6, 2010
A cat scratching itself because it has fleas.
Treating a Cat With Fleas
A wall with fleas in it.
Fleas Inside of Walls
Cup Stain on Wood
Removing Cup Rings from Wood Furniture
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding. Upclose photo of a flea.
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding