Burning Fingers When Using Glue Gun

Can anyone tell me how not to burn myself when using the glue gun? I always stick my finger in to the glue to press down. Thank you!

Marilyn from P. Huron, MI

Keep a bowl of cold water next to you; if you do burn yourself, plunge your finger in immediately. If you need to smooth the glue while it is hot, dip your finger in the water before you touch the glue; and work quickly. The water will insulate you the tiniest bit, and (more importantly) will keep the glue from sticking to you.

If you are pressing down to make sure the items have stuck together, try using a spoon or put a thimble on your finger.

Cool glue guns are made now. They're still hot, but not nearly as dangerously hot as the others. They are not expensive and require special cool melt glue sticks. I use a gun often for floral arrangements, and keep a sturdy cut off stem to press things together. any kind of stick or knitting needle etc. would work. I can appreciate your pain. Sometimes my fingertips would get very blistered. Hope this helps.

There are pro's&con's to a HOT glue gun.After many raw burnt fingers...I use toothpicks or an orange stick to mash something together..

I use a special pair of tweezers, and toothpicks or popsicle sticks depending on what im working with. mostly tweezers as i make stuff that is very tiny. :)

I use inexpensive chopsticks to stick stuff down. Also can get a silicone oven mitt at the dollar store and cut off the thumb. Make the rest into a pad for the glue that drips from your gun to fall on, save a table that way.

Keep a popsicle stick in your hand and use it to press down. The bowl of water is a great tip which works. I keep an old tile to set the glue gun on when not using it and the glue can drip on the tile.

I use a wooden spoon that I set aside just for this purpose.

Use the new cooler type of hot glue gun. OR an even better idea for you might be to use that X-2000 type of glue in a tube (sold in craft stores)... It's not as quick drying as hot glue, but BOY-OH-BOY will it stick to ANYTHING & EVERYTHING! Great stuff!

These hot glue guns can be VERY dangerous, I can't tell you how many times I've given myself severe burns with blisters on my hands by trying to hurry to quickly when making Christmas Wreaths!

Slow down, Use care & keep kids away!

I want to thank everyone who sent a answer! I am going to try and glue tonight and I think I will try a little of everine"s answers! Marilyn

I use either or an ice pick or a dentist type tool. You can cut off the end to not make it so sharp and then grind it down to make it blunt or you can leave as is. This has always worked really great from me.

You could use a crochet hook to smooth small areas and such.

Using a Hot Glue Gun
Using a Hot Glue Gun
Crafts AdviceFebruary 12, 2008
Burning Bush
Burning Bush Does Not Turn Red
Burning brush in a backyard.
Alternatives to Backyard Burning
Halloween Hot Dog Fingers
Halloween Hot Dog Fingers
Cleaning a Glue Gun
Cleaning a Hot Glue Gun
🎉
🎄