Newspaper Your Weeds Away

To eliminate weeding from garden vegetable rows, I began recycling old news papers. I place the newspapers in the between the vegetable rows (one sheet in thickness). I also tear the paper and place the paper around the plant stalk. I then place wheat straw on top of the paper to prevent the wind from blowing the paper away.

Irrigate and the straw gets wet and holds the paper between the rows. This also reduces the amount you have to water, because the paper straw combination reduces water evaporation. This prevents weeds and grass from consuming your vegetable plant nutrients.

Also after the season is over this material can be tilled into the soil for enhanced organic matter for the soil. Finally the straw allows for sand free vegetables. I have been doing this for over 20 years and it works just great.

By Grady from Fayetteville,NC

I did this. Put layers of newspaper in the flower gardens and then put mulch on top of it. Worked fine and kept the weeds from coming through.

Great idea! How many layers of newspaper are we talking about here please?

June 30, 2009 Flag

Start putting in your plants; work the nutrients in your soil. Wet newspapers and put layers around the plants overlapping as you go cover with mulch and forget about weeds. Weeds will get through some gardening plastic, they will not get through wet newspapers.

By Kate from Vermont

Newspaper in the Garden
Using Newspaper in the Garden
Home and Garden Gardening WeedsJune 30, 2009
multicolored flowerbed on a lawn
Preventing Weeds in Flower Beds
A nicely planted organic vegetable garden.
Preventing Weeds When Planting Your Garden
Hand picking weeds
Controlling Weeds Organically
Gravel Driveway
Preventing and Killing Weeds in Gravel