Using a Pond to Water My Garden

Q: I have a 50' x 100' vegetable garden that is about 100' from my pond and I would love ideas on how to use the pond to water the garden. Any ideas appreciated!

Hardiness Zone: 5b
Lauren from Missouri

A: Lauren,

You don't mention whether or not your pond is manmade, or occurs on your property naturally. I'll assume because your garden is large, it's natural. I would rig up a gravity flow siphoning system using PVC pipe or garden hose. The pipes should be fitted with valves to control water flow. If your garden is even with, or at an uphill slope from your pond, you can use a submersible pump. Keep in mind that pumps can be expensive, and if they fail, some types may release oil and coolants into the water. There are several great options on the market, including solar-powered units and pumps with magnetic-drives that avoid the use of coolants. You'll need to do a little research to determine the size pipe and pumps you'll need to get the flow rate you want. A local farm supply store or large garden center should be able to help you with that.

Water from smaller, backyard ponds can also be used in the garden. Just be careful if you treat your pond with chemicals, to not use it to water or fertilize your garden edibles.

About The Author: Ellen Brown is our Green Living and Gardening Expert. Click here to ask Ellen a question! Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at

You can buy a hand-pumped siphon hose if you look around. Once it starts going, you can let it run until you are done. There should be a shut-off valve so you won't have to prime it a second time. It will only work if it runs downhill. My husband invented one for my garden. We have an irrigation ditch up above the garden, and we have run a hose from there to the flowers. I can move it from spot to spot as needed. It takes two of us to start it, usually. He lifts up the high end and I pour in water from a watering can. Then he drops the end into the ditch and it starts drawing water from there. Hope this helps you! Pond water is nice and rich!

We use the same idea as above, except we use an electric pump. We just set the pump in the pond and turn it on whenever needed. Hope this helps

Home and Garden Gardening IrrigationApril 23, 2006
Garden Pond
Building a Garden Pond
Backyard Pond
Controlling Grass in a Backyard Pond
Controlling Algae in a Pond
Controlling Algae in a Pond
Beautiful Swan
Decorating a Pond for a Wedding