Preserve Food Using A Dehydrator And Vacuum Sealer

People always ask how come I buy very little at the grocery store. I own a Rival Seal A Meal- vacuum storage unit and a Excalibur dehydrator.

I never have left overs, I use my dehydrator to make powders of leftover sauces, dry veggies and fruits, refresh stale crackers and chips, and make my own cheeses, yogurt and grain products. I buy staples: salt, powdered milk, and rennets.

All foods are stored in sealed packages with my Rival, I can make my own bags at whatever size I need, just open and reseal. I buy fruits and veggies in season. I also watch prices at grocery stores.

When I get my home I will again have a garden and compost to save myself money. I learned old school and passed it on to my kids.

Source: Preserve It Naturally - The Complete Guide to Food Dehydration

By Chargail from South Beloit, Illinois

Great ideas! How do you use your dehydrator to make powders of sauces? I would like to do this too!

Brilliant idea and I wish I had done this a long time ago. Now I don't really have the need, but I recommend it to new moms starting out. It avoids all the chemicals and preservatives in store-bought foods which I really don't like to serve or eat myself. It's also a great way to make treats for your dog, dry sweet potato chips, meat slices, etc. Saves money and it's so much better for the dog. I don't even like to give my dogs unhealthy foods (or my kitty).

We need to hook up! I know several people who would love to learn this idea! As well as me. I have a food saver so I can make my own bags. I do use the reynolds for cheese and stuff I will get into a lot because I have the reseal option without cutting off extra to make room for opening and resealing, but I love both my sealing systems. You make your own cheese! OMG! this would be awesome to learn to do!