Using a Vacuum Sealer

Category Storage
A popular food storage method is the use of a vacuum sealer. This is a guide about using a vacuum sealer.

Five years, I brought a vacuum sealer on sale for $20. We save hundreds between resealing snack packages and breaking down family packs of meat into smaller portions. Since 2006, we've experienced an economic downturn that forces us to shop out the freezer. If we had to buy one now, we couldn't. I'm thankful we turned to frugal living while we had money.

Drawlee

This guide is about reusing vacuum sealer bags. Food safety should be your first concern reusing plastic food bags.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This guide contains foodsaver tips and tricks. Food savers can help you vacuum pack all kinds of foods and other things.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I bought a new vacuum sealer to store and freeze meats and leftovers, but after I cut the bags, I have a hard time opening the two layers of the bag. I got so frustrated the last time I just threw the bag away and went to the store and bought freezer bags. I'd really like to use the vacuum sealer, though. Does anyone have any tips?

Nancy

Answers

Try wetting your thumb and index finger, and rubbing in opposite directions with the bag between. This works in the market, too, for opening plastic produce bags.

Perhaps you are not cutting far enough from the vacuum seal. When you cut the bag air will immediately enter the bag.

I have never had this problem,

What brand did you use? If you use the food saver brand it is very easy. They are a little more expensive but can be reused.

WHat we do with ours is take 2 small pieces of scotch tape (about 1" ea.) put them on opposite sides of the bag and pull apart

I want to buy a food vac sealer but don't know what is best brand. Price isn't an issue.

I like Foodsaver brand the best, they don't have the two layer thing.

Hi, I had the same problem. put scotch tape on the outer sides of the bag (about 1 inch apart) then just pull & they come right apart. Works for me all the time. Dorothy

How do I cut a straight line to make bags using the foodsaver roll or any other vacuum bag roll? I have the roll cutter in the machine, but don't want to have to swap rolls in and out every time I need a different size.

Holly

Answers

Buy a personal paper trimmer.It even has a ruler on it .Works great!!You can usually buy them wherever you buy scrapbooking supplies.

Clever idea! Why didn't I think of that?

Fold the roll back on itself to the size bag you need. Do this on the table. Take a sharp knife and slice at the fold. By the time you do this the machine is hot enough to seal the bottom. Put in food and seal the top.

Paper trimmers are great if you are trying to cut a large quantity of bags out of rolls. I've been selling vacuum packaging equipment for years now and I usually just tell people to seal the roll where you want it first and then perforate the edges. Let me know if you have any questions, I'd be happy to help!

Folding the roll of bags back on its self is what I've done for years! Be sure that sides are lined up then cut it with a letter opener the kind that has a blade at the bottom of the V. I also use the letter opener to open a bag (same as above) fold the sealed end back over its self) then open with the letter cutter!! WORKS AWSOMELY!