Reusing Vacuum Sealer Bags

Category Storage
This guide is about reusing vacuum sealer bags. Food safety should be your first concern reusing plastic food bags.

Can the Reynolds Handi-vac vacuum freezer bags be reused?

Cyndy from West Monroe, NY

Answers

By Jan (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I have reused the bags a couple of times each, but they are thoroughly washed. I have had no problem with them resealing either. After a couple of times I invest in new ones and try to recycle the old ones for other things. A friend of mine likes the Ziplock but I prefer Reynolds.

I think it depends on what you store in it. I would not reuse a bag that had raw meat stored in it. However, if it held bread or something like that I would try using the bag.

I just love these bags and have been using them since they came out. I like the new Ziplock vaccum best, I have less trouble getting it remove the air from the bags.

By millard_crystal (Guest Post)

I have a regular vacuum seal machine and there are time when you can reuse the bags. Do not reuse if there has been any raw meat, fish, or shellfish.

Also wash the bags out and turn the inside out to dry before reusing. I personaly never reuse the bag if meat/fish products have been in them, raw or cooked.

I decided that I did not want to try to reuse ones that I had sealed meat in. But I tried to wash a couple of others that did not have meat in them out & let them air naturally, but I was not able to get a seal out of either one. I finally decided that it might be due to the interior design of the bag with that extra flap inside to protect the air extractor hole. Maybe washing the bag disturbs that flap so it does not seal properly again. If anyone has had success I certainly would like to know.