Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Looking for Free Fabric Samples

I am looking to start quilting for the first time. Is there any place that gives free scraps of material?

By C from PA

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By donh06/19/2012

If you really want to start quilting without much cost, go to your local thriftstore, ask about their "SALE" days, or if they donate any clothing items they feel they cannot sell or are not salable. And buy or ask them to donate them to you.

Also, believe it or not, what also works is to get a small box and make a cardboard sign, for your yard.. "Wanted Used Clothing any size", and put a larger box next to it for people to drive up and put donations into. Old clothing is an excellent way to recycle items into quilts, pillows, curtains, etc etc. Many items, may be stained on front, but the sleeves and back are salvageable. I have made many quilts this way. And braided rugs as well.

By LITTLE SUZY [93]10/07/2010

Try Craigslist.com. Register and post for wanted cheap or "free" fabric. All these ads are for your local community. You choose where they are to be posted. Then meet in a public place to do your transaction. Sometimes the local newspaper will have a free classified section. I've already done a posting for free material for the church for our quilts we send to World Relief Fund and got 4 responses.

By Joyce [2]10/07/2010

If I was you I'd try freecycle in your county. look up freecycle on Google. People give away items they no longer want. Or you can put in a request for fabric scraps someone doesn't want just like you did here. I'm going through mine now to give away. Too bad your not close by I'd gladly help you out.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Looking for Free Fabric Samples

I am looking for a place that will give free fabric samples. I work with preschool children and would use fabric with the children's projects. Any ideas of where to get free samples? I tried asking at a fabric store, but they wanted to sell me small scraps.

dtea

RE: Looking for Free Fabric Samples

Join freecycle in your area. People are forever offering fabric scraps. Your first post must be an offer of something you want to give away, then you can post that you need the fabric. You'll have more than you need in a few days. The bulletin board at school or a note in your Friday take home folders might help also. (12/03/2007)

By MartyD

RE: Looking for Free Fabric Samples

If you can find a curtain workroom (someone that makes custom draperies) in your area, they always have left over fabric. Most fabric stores will give it to you free if you mention you're a teacher and it's for your students. Good luck! (12/03/2007)

By Marnita

RE: Looking for Free Fabric Samples

No store would give away fabric! Try junior high home ec and high school home ec classes. Try calling alterations people in your area, they always have scraps, and often they advertise at the fabric store, either on a bulletin board or a little book kept at the register. I know because I was a alterations seamstress. I don't know if you live in an area with a college, but any design school would have literally tons of scraps. (12/03/2007)

By thriftyengineer

RE: Looking for Free Fabric Samples

I found tons of fabric for free at our local decorating store. They have fabric samples for people who are ordering furniture, and when the samples are outdated, they will practically beg people to take them! I've made placemats, tote bags, and potholders from the samples. Good luck with your project. (12/03/2007)

By Patty

RE: Looking for Free Fabric Samples

You could check with any local upholstery shops. I believe they have swatch books and they might go out of style. We have a few furniture stores around my area that have gone out of business and they probably had swatch books they didn't need anymore. Good luck. (12/03/2007)

By mckaysatt

RE: Looking for Free Fabric Samples

You could always recycle old clothes, sheets, or curtains. Ask parents to save these for your class and send them in for projects. (12/05/2007)

By Toni

RE: Looking for Free Fabric Samples

Ask and interior decorator for a sample book. My son works for a textile manufacturing company. He says that is the best way to go. (12/05/2007)

By Carol in PA

RE: Looking for Free Fabric Samples

I would ask the children to bring an old shirt of their daddy's that can be cut up for this very purpose. Or how about an old flat sheet from their homes. Write notes out requesting these items from the parents and I am sure they will come through for you for their children's sakes. I know I would! Good luck and keep us posted on what you ended up doing for this certain situation. (12/05/2007)

By Paula Jo from Mebane, NC

RE: Looking for Free Fabric Samples

Try a local architect or interior designer firm. We get hundreds of samples a year and I donate or throw away a great deal of older ones each year to local senior homes. Most would gladly welcome the chance to get rid of them. (12/06/2007)

By cfbandit

RE: Looking for Free Fabric Samples

You didn't say what size samples you need, but wallpaper books often have fabric samples. And old wallpaper books will be given away free. (12/06/2007)

By gardenway

RE: Looking for Free Fabric Samples

I get mine at a custom made drapery store. I go in and ask if they have any discontinued books of fabric samples. The sizes vary, but they work great for crafts. They were free, I got about six the first trip and 4 the next trip. (12/08/2007)

By Nancy

How do you get fabric samples? Does any one know? Any kind of fabric is acceptable to me. The material can be any kind, cotton, blends, silk, suede, chenille, etc. I would like to find samples larger than the tiny fabric swatches that are 3x3 inches or so. Thanks for your help in advance.

By Jeantb from OK

RE: Looking for Free Fabric Samples

Contact local furniture stores. They often give away discontinued upholstery fabric samples. (08/11/2010)

By Lizamay

RE: Looking for Free Fabric Samples

There is a woman in this same newsletter, just below your posting, and she has bins of fabric she is looking to donate. Contact her! (08/12/2010)

By PainterLee