Looking for Free Fabric Samples

I am looking to start quilting for the first time. Is there any place that gives free scraps of material?

By C from PA

If I was you I'd try freecycle in your county. look up freecycle on Google. People give away items they no longer want. Or you can put in a request for fabric scraps someone doesn't want just like you did here. I'm going through mine now to give away. Too bad your not close by I'd gladly help you out.

Try Craigslist.com. Register and post for wanted cheap or "free" fabric. All these ads are for your local community. You choose where they are to be posted. Then meet in a public place to do your transaction. Sometimes the local newspaper will have a free classified section. I've already done a posting for free material for the church for our quilts we send to World Relief Fund and got 4 responses.

If you really want to start quilting without much cost, go to your local thriftstore, ask about their "SALE" days, or if they donate any clothing items they feel they cannot sell or are not salable. And buy or ask them to donate them to you.

Also, believe it or not, what also works is to get a small box and make a cardboard sign, for your yard.. "Wanted Used Clothing any size", and put a larger box next to it for people to drive up and put donations into. Old clothing is an excellent way to recycle items into quilts, pillows, curtains, etc etc. Many items, may be stained on front, but the sleeves and back are salvageable. I have made many quilts this way. And braided rugs as well.