Keeping Soda from Going Flat

By Dena Roberts 35 491

How do you keep Coke from going flat once it has been opened? I would like to be able to drink the whole bottle, instead of having to use the flat Coke as a toilet bowl cleaner (which is a great use for it!). Thanks guys!

Catastrofy from Winnipeg, Canada

Showing: Answers Sort

By tiffany 2 19 Flag

Squeeze the air out of the bottle before you put the lid back on it. I used to waste a lot of money dumping soda out that had gone flat. I read somewhere that if you squeeze air out of the bottle until the pop is up to the top before you put the lid back on it wouldn't go flat in the fridge. I tried this and it works great. I've kept opened bottles of soda in the fridge for weeks and when I open them they still taste great and aren't flat.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

When you buy soda keep at room temperature then when you want some add ice cubes to chill. The soda will not go flat for a long time at room temperature.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By carol 4 81 Flag

Yup! I agree with the last post!

Squish the bottle till there's no air in it, and the pop stays fizzy!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Carolyn Cloe 1 Flag

When you pour it into a glass, add some fresh coke with fizz from another bottle/can. That perks it up quite a bit.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Danita Justice 3 2 Flag

Here in the states, you can purchase inexpensive pumps for liter bottles at Wal-Mart. Or you can purchase a soda dispenser for liter bottles at www.kitchencollection.com . You also can purchase very inexpensive "soda savers" can lids for cans at www.kitchencollection.com.

I have used both the liter pumps and the can lids and think they work as well as can be expected considering that the pop will eventually go flat no matter what you do. However, they both extend the fizz and the expense for both is almost non-existent compared to what you can save on soda.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Dena Roberts 35 491 Flag

Thanks, people!! I will try some of these suggestions! You guys are great!!!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Put the lid back on the bottle and turn it upside down a few times and then put it in the fridge.

It always works for me.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Beth 25 1,120 Flag

Once the bottle is opened the air pocket in the empty part of the bottle is enough to make the remaining liquid go flat, no matter how tight the cap is on. Squeezing the air out is probably the best thing you can do to prolong it's life.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

thr522587 Flag

Yep, squeeze the air out of the bottle before placing the cap back on. This works well for carbonated water too. :-)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By chris eaton 1 Flag

Do not squeeze the air out. This actually makes it worse. You want to do the opposite: pump more air in. I've seen devices that let you pump more air in, thus increasing the pressure of the air in the bottle above the soda. This will prevent any dissolved gasses (CO2) from escaping as easily. Read about vapor pressure to get a physical understanding.

Weather you have this device or not, the best thing to do is this: handle the bottle of soda very, very carefully (like it has nitroglycerin in it) as to not disturb the soda. Any shaking or rapid movement will increase the rate at which the CO2 is released. I use this technique with my soda, and I usually can enjoy every drop, depending on how long it takes me to finish it.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By joe 1 Flag

Squeezing the air out of the bottle works ok. If there is no air over the soda, the CO2 won't be released from the soda. The problem is that the bottle can expand, so if you squeeze the air out and come back a day later, some CO2 has escaped from the soda and there is an air pocket on top of the soda. Generally it does help prolong your soda life though.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Handiest1 1 Flag

OK everyone, I have an answer. First of all, squeezing the bottle just allows to CO2 to exit the pop/soda/Coke and reinflate the bottle. I got tired of this issue, and installed a schrader valve (tire valve) into a cap after drilling a 1/2" hole in it, then use a bicycle pump or compressor (be careful with this one) and pump it up to 35 PSI. This creates a higher pressure than the CO2 trying to escape and keeps it fizzy! Have fun! People will think you are crazy just like me. But they wish they had one. See picture. 1-30-11

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Stephen M B. 1 Flag

My remedy is: I have one of those soda club home soda makers and I just re-carbonate it. Basically it (under pressure) adds co2 to the liquid and bam, you got bubbles. I have also herd that a couple big strong rubber bands on a 2 liter to increase internal pressure will help. Keep in mind that the co2 is released because the pressure of the atmosphere is less then the co2, so it expands into the air or inside of the bottle, even quicker if you make a vacuum by squeezing the air out of the bottle. So DO NOT squeeze the air out of the bottle, it only makes it worse.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Food and Recipes Food Tips BeveragesJuly 27, 2008
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Keeping Shoelaces Tied
Keeping Shoelaces Tied
A person cleaning a flat screen monitor with a cloth.
Cleaning a Flat Screen Monitor
Repairing a Flat Tire
Repairing a Flat Tire
A Garden Journal
Keeping A Garden Journal
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 9:47:33 PM on 10.0.0.50 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings