Browsing: Homemade Bird Feeders

Free Wintertime Bird Food

This is how to make a bird feeder for absolutely no cost. First, I ask the butcher in my supermarket for suet. I've never been charged for this because they throw it away anyway. Then I tie the suet in an empty mesh onion bag and hang it from a tree. I do this only during the cold months to meet birds' wintertime nutritional needs.

By Kathy

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

Quite sometime back suet fat was available for the asking ... later they wanted to charge for it ... then I was told that the meats are shipped to the stores with less fat and they only had a negligible amount of fat to discard!

Times change!

I went to my local meat shop the other day and asked about suet. They don't give it away for free, but it's only 69 cents/lb if you want it unground in chunks.

I have a question, though. I've hung an onion bag of suet next to my regular platform feeder for several weeks now, and haven't noticed a single bird partaking of it. We get lots of sparrows, finches, and junkoes at the feeder, but none seem interested in the suet bag. Any ideas how to get them to try the suet? The past week the temperatures have been in the teens to 30's, so it's certainly cold enough for them to want some extra energy. Thanks!

Take and roll the suet in bird seed and then set outside. They'll love it and eat it.

Homemade Bird Feeders
Homemade Bird Feeders
Home and Garden Gardening Birds & Bird HousesNovember 14, 2004
Colorful Valentine' Day cookies.
Gluten-Free Valentine's Desserts
Homemade Wild Bird Food
Homemade Wild Bird Food
Young woman using computer
Finding Free WiFi Connections
Chicken Feed On Grain Bag
Storing Chicken Feed
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 23, 2016 at 7:33:05 AM on 10.0.2.185 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.